stocks are my hobby! - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Banned

just hopped out yesterday. not having a great year, but i've made 4% so far in the 401k. hoping to do that much more in the second half. i like mostly sitting in cash, and moving in and out of funds and back to cash. still have 16k in small company funds, but i'll sell monday. i would have sold yesterday, but they make you wait a week. i'm not setting any records, but i don't have much exposure to the downside this way.

i'll be happy when i quit my job next year, and then i can roll over into an ira and be able to trade without so many restrictions like i have in the 401k. i'm pondering buying tax certificates when i can self direct a little better. but for now, this is the best i can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 07-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

If goog drops below 500, I will buy more shares. Fun fun.

I bought 10 goog at 485 and I just now sold it for 596. I'm happy.
I still own quite a bit that I hold long term, so if it goes up tomorrow, I will still be happy.
#63 Old 07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

i'm in 100% cash at the moment. pucker factor is > 1.0 . maybe i'm going to miss out on a nice run in the market, but i'd rather miss making a little than having a big loss. it's cumbersome to manage assets in a 401k, since there is no intraday anything. you get in or out at end of day prices.

in this environment, i am not going to be much of a risk taker, at least with things i have so little control over. it's extremely difficult to regenerate capital at work because the mad overtime is disappearing. i can't take a loss. in my 401k, i sit in cash. instead of investing outside of the 401k with after tax dollars, i liquidate debt with those. as of tommorrow, i will owe 7,800 on my little farm. or course, it's value has plunged too, but i'm not selling, so it doesn't matter.

to me the increasing meaning of being well off means that i don't have to make payments to some bank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

dumb me, i am caught with 14k in the market. got half of it out today, but i took a bit of a beating. methinks we're going way negative for the year on this downward ride.
#65 Old 08-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I got some bargains Wednesday morning. At least I think so...
#66 Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Banned

um, begging the colonel's pardon ...... i think we're in for a pretty big drop.

i've decided to take my $$ out of the 401k next year when i quit my job and buy another investment house for cash . another 20 to 30% dip on houses, and that would make a pretty inflation proof investment. i think we're headed for stagflation.
#67 Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I just bought goog at 586, fcx at 48, and LOTS of Bidu at 145. I'm out of cash now.
#68 Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Sold Bidu at 147.
#69 Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

curious to see what happens tomorrow. i too am tempted to bottom fish, but i can't get caught in a huge extended decline. i forgot who it was that said "the market can stay irrational longer than i can stay solvent". lots more pain to come, i'm sure. the only thing that would surprise me is if the market went up .

all i have to do is keep plugging away till next year, then i'm going to have the chance to pay cash for the real estate buy of a lifetime (or so i think).
#70 Old 08-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I lost 40K this week if it makes you feel any better. Yet, I am still way up on the year, so even though I wish I'd sold everything 10 days ago, I can't really complain. Easy come, easy go.

I have to wait 3 days before I can do anymore buying. And that might be a good thing.
#71 Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

um, we're gonna see how it goes now after the s&p downgrade. more pain to come, i'm afraid.
#72 Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I lost 40K this week if it makes you feel any better. Yet, I am still way up on the year, so even though I wish I'd sold everything 10 days ago, I can't really complain. Easy come, easy go.

I have to wait 3 days before I can do anymore buying. And that might be a good thing.

actually it doesn't make me feel good if you lost. it just is what it is. i'm too worried about my own garden to envy my neighbor's. the beating i've taken on my 2 houses is enough for me, and i'm very stuck myself. now it's even getting damn hard to make money at my job, since they've killed overtime and all the bonuses i was scooping up.

i agree with easy go, but easy come? not hardly.
#73 Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

the silver lining in this cloud is that energy prices will drop substantially, which will fuel the next bubble. the only question is how far and how fast the markets will continue to fall before there is a bottom.
#74 Old 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to day trade stocks on a daily basis, and I switched to currency trading after the Lehman Bros-related meltdown. My condolences to anyone here who is currently jammed up or got burned. I never got to the point of knowing how to do puts and calls, and to this day I don't know how to short a stock. Currency trading turned out to be more my kind of activity, and I was grateful to be in currencies and not stocks this week. When I used to trade stocks, I was pretty much stuck until and unless it went my way, and I hated to be stuck when there were other good opportunities around. With currency trading, the mechanics are very simple for reversing course if the trade goes bad.
#75 Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Finally made some money today! Bought BIDU again at 130 yesterday and I just sold it for 141. I'm planning for a very volatile market.
#76 Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

what little i had left, i hopped out with yesterday. oh well, i'm up a couple of percent this year. happy to be out and ahead of the game today. this could get a lot uglier, and you better believe i'm going to sit tight for now.
#77 Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought BIDU again yesterday and sold BIDU again today, so now I am probably going to be locked out of that account for 90 days or some ****. And it is the last source of cash I have right now. Their restrictions really bug me! They are taking away my abiltity to make money. Pure and simple.
#78 Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Banned

i'll never be a day trader again. too much emotion involved, and it saps your productivity in other areas. the market is too unpredictable, and by the time it's all said and done, i can make a lot more by just working my job and not worrying.
#79 Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

it's nice to be sitting high and dry today. dow below 10,000 - here we come!
#80 Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I was sooooooooooo tempted to buy at the end of the day today, but I held off. Me thinks there will be better bargains tomorrow.
#81 Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Banned

if you catch a falling knife, then it might go right through your hand, and nail you in the foot.

if you get nailed for 20% because the market goes crazy and departs from fundamentals, there's no guarantee that you'll recover your money any time soon. i'm looking for rallies, but i think the trend is lower and i'm not so sure i want to try to time this market.
#82 Old 08-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought BIDU again yesterday (Friday). I like it because it really moves. Bought it at 126.76 sold it for 134. Recovered quite a bit on that one. I also bought GOOG again for 500 and sold it for 511.5. However, I know those were lucky trades and I am going to keep the cash that I have now, until I hear a bit of good news.

I haven't lost much of my gains in the stocks that I trade often because I'm in and out so much. Most of my losses are in my 401K and other long term investments. I don't even want to know!
#83 Old 08-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Banned

i am so very glad i hopped out before this mess. the market could drop another 20% easily, depending on how europe unravels. i'm going to start reinvesting if/when the dow gets close to 9k. we need a little blood running in the streets.
#84 Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay! Finally a good day!
#85 Old 08-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Banned

a truly fascinating day ahead. we'll see how QE3 shakes out when bernanke speaks no evil. my own outlook is for the market to drop 3% or so.
#86 Old 08-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I decided to take a vacation from trading for a bit. I don't even know what the market is doing today. It is kind of annoying that I can't watch the news, though.
#87 Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Riding the apple wave the past several weeks.
Bought @ 383
Sold @ 420
Bought @ 401
Sold @ 406

Doing that I made 11% in one month.
#88 Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know some good serious funds to invest in veganism ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#89 Old 02-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Does anyone know some good serious funds to invest in veganism ?

I don't know of any, however why not invest in stocks of vegan friendly companies.
#90 Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Investing is originally giving some of your money to a company and then get it back + bonus, today's use of stocks is crazy for me.

I'm ok with making money, but i don't want to make money on arms trade or pharma or GMO or this kind of things. Most of world companies are involved in things i don't like, even technology like Apple has been strongly criticized by groups like greenpeace or human rights.

So i just gave up some time ago my stocks ( 30% every 4 to 6 months, and only by monthes, no pure short or day trading etc ) and i'm looking to go back to it but into serious vegan companies.

Perhaps also some vegan microcredits and microfinance.

Just want my money to be used to develop this market.

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page