VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Hobbies, Arts, and Crafts (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/56-hobbies-arts-crafts/)
-   -   Vegan Saxophone Pads! (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/56-hobbies-arts-crafts/108377-vegan-saxophone-pads.html)

saxyphonist 01-04-2010 07:42 PM

I'm just going to post this in case there happen to be any other sax players on veggie boards, although I have yet to come across one. Or perhaps on the off chance that someone will come here with this very problem at some point in the future. Or maybe just because I'm kind of excited about this and I want to share.

Anyways, Jim Schmidt's metalized gold saxophone pads are completely synthetic! I emailed him to check and he confirmed that they indeed do not contain any animal products. (Normal saxophone pads are made of leather, in case any non-saxophonists are wondering what the h*ll I'm freaking out about). Anyways, this is awesome because I was worried about the possibility of having to choose between buying leather and giving up saxophone at some point in the future.

Semicharmed 01-04-2010 07:47 PM

Not that I play the sax or this affects me in any way... But in case anyone else does, I'd recommend editing the post to make the link underlined. (The link color and text colors are SO close at the moment. I'm sure Michael will get around to fixing it... but until then, I'm underlining all my links.)

saxyphonist 01-04-2010 07:54 PM

That's a good point. I'll do that now.

Qbishop 09-22-2011 06:52 PM

You! Have just saved my life. Thanks for this.

tinkerhell 01-07-2012 05:12 AM

Have also been scratching my head about this issue. I play a relatively cheap sax just as a hobby, and getting hold of the Jim Schmidt pads and getting them fitted would probably cost me as much as the sax did in the first place, even if they did make them for my make of sax. Am now looking at getting hold of one of the new polycarbonate and silicone saxophones (vibratosax.com), which looks like it might be a good solution for someone like me.

annoyinginfini1 03-27-2016 12:44 AM

I was playing my sax thinking every time i play this i'm not a vegan even though i'm still a food vegan.
going to buy an old sax next time and get all the pads changed over.

silva 03-27-2016 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annoyinginfini1 (Post 3940593)
I was playing my sax thinking every time i play this i'm not a vegan even though i'm still a food vegan.
going to buy an old sax next time and get all the pads changed over.

My son played sax and I know you don't often need to change pads.
It's completely within your comfort zone how much of what you have you change, but I would never diminish someones resolve to be vegan because they haven't changed everything out. For some things getting synthetics can be very expensive.
Just my two cents, but I'd but focus on switching just about everything else before the pads, although I can understand it being a more personal thing, being that close to your sax and all.My son isn't vegan, but if he were, I'm sure he'd change the sax over before even his shoes. (but he'd ask my for the money, his money would change his mind)

silva 03-27-2016 06:46 AM

Hey there @saxyphonist and @Semicharmed :hi: