VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Frugal Living (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/55-frugal-living/)
-   -   Frugal Weights/Simple Exercise Equip. (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/55-frugal-living/87542-frugal-weights-simple-exercise-equip.html)

rvijay 09-13-2008 07:52 AM

Weights are frugal. Buy and keep them along with simple exercise equip. Then use them casually a few times a day once every two hours or so for a few minutes. Pretty soon using them will become a habit. One of the most frugal purchases, good health is priceless.

Vijay

greensgood 09-13-2008 09:12 AM

even better is you can make weights and work out accessories from everyday items found at home:

liquid laundry soap or any other fairly large plastic containers can be saved and filled w/ water or sand to make weights

stairs are perfect for 'stair stepping' (duh!) and squats

belts or ties make great stretching straps

a low chair or couch pushed against a wall works for tricep dips or inclined push ups

rvijay 09-13-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgood View Post

even better is you can make weights and work out accessories from everyday items found at home:

liquid laundry soap or any other fairly large plastic containers can be saved and filled w/ water or sand to make weights

stairs are perfect for 'stair stepping' (duh!) and squats

belts or ties make great stretching straps

a low chair or couch pushed against a wall works for tricep dips or inclined push ups

The above is true and I have heard this before. However, here is what I decided. When I pay and get good equipment, then I will commit myself to exercise. Even if I spend $200 from my budget for this, this is well spent as it works out to about $10 a month approx over a period of two years. I have spent a lot more on junk food in the past.

codemonkey 09-15-2008 11:35 AM

Play it Again Sports is a great place to by weights and other exercise equipment. Last time I checked, the iron dumbbells were going for 50 cents a pound. And they last forever.

Don't cheap out to much on your sneakers though. Good shoes are cheaper than knee surgery.

rvijay 09-17-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

Play it Again Sports is a great place to by weights and other exercise equipment. Last time I checked, the iron dumbbells were going for 50 cents a pound. And they last forever.

Don't cheap out to much on your sneakers though. Good shoes are cheaper than knee surgery.

Yes, good sneakers are needed. I used to cheap out on them before but just recently realized to get good ones. I paid almost a dollar per pound for weights (+taxes), better buy now and exercise than to waste time waiting for a sale.