Used Books Thread. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I love to go to used book stores, browse. This gives lots of ideas, feelings, used books have a special feel compared to new ones. Also, buying used books is frugal, enviro friendly and often really helps someone.

(This is also good exercise and better than watching TV.)

I like to go to local salvation army and browse their HUGE used book collection. Haven't done this in a long time. Now tempted to think about this. Several books are like just a DOllar or so. Sales go to assist people, they have a HUGE selection of good books.

Share any experience with used books here. Thanks.

Vijay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE old books. the older the better. I go to our local recycle/reuse center and get old science books (I love the illustrations, and outdated theories) for next to nothing.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 09-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

They have a wonderful smell too My problem is I can't bear to get rid of them, so my bookshelves are already stuffed.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Everytime VegBunny83 and I meet up for lunch/dinner in Chicago we go to this little used book store and spend forevz in there....I always spend way too much moneu!!
#5 Old 09-13-2008, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

The used bookstore that I go to , is QUITE HUGEEEE. I can go there with lunch and spend all day there, just buying a drink nearby. They keep getting new books all the time, so one is never done, in about a month, they are started all over again. It is also a great place to meet like minded folks.
#6 Old 09-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I am addicted to our used bookstore!!! In fact I am going to try and go there today to get a fix. The one I frequent has the most awesome bargain section where you can get hardback books for $1-$3 - I have gotten some great cookbooks this way. They even have a pretty decent selection of vegetarian/vegan books. Plus they also buy books so you can sell your unwanted stock and get some cash (which I usually just turn around and spend in the store, but what are you going to do?) The free gourmet coffee doesn't hurt either
#7 Old 09-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I prefer the library. Clean, neat, organized. No charge for books. Can get as many as I want and when I'm finished with them, I can exchange them for more. Selection cannot be beat. My bookshelves are not overflowing with books that need space and dusting. The library stores them for me for free. When I have to move, I'm not stuck with boxes and boxes of books and I can use my bookshelves for anything I want (including an ever-changing selection of library books). Considering how much I love to read, I save a LOT of money and keep my home simplified by using the library. ^_^
#8 Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZdogs View Post

I prefer the library. Clean, neat, organized. No charge for books. Can get as many as I want and when I'm finished with them, I can exchange them for more. Selection cannot be beat. My bookshelves are not overflowing with books that need space and dusting. The library stores them for me for free. When I have to move, I'm not stuck with boxes and boxes of books and I can use my bookshelves for anything I want (including an ever-changing selection of library books). Considering how much I love to read, I save a LOT of money and keep my home simplified by using the library. ^_^

Libraries are good/frugal. However, used bookstores provide an inspiration for me. Also, the books when donated are a good gift and help build friendship.

Vijay
#9 Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I love my local used book store... it's small, but nice and the owners are friendly and knowledgeable.

I've also had great success trading books I'm done with at paperbackswap.com... if I can't find a book at my local used store, it's usually only a matter of time before it becomes available on that site.

Blog: www.imarriedanomnivore.com
Twitter: @vegwife
#10 Old 09-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

www.bookmooch.com

Check it out!
#11 Old 09-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Excellent, this is just like:

http://bookcrossing.com/

They also have a great forum here:

http://bookcrossing.com/forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page