There's a woman that lives near me who digs through everyone's trash looking for stuff to sell at the flea market.
She finds some pretty great things.
But, I had to start spray-painting all my good trash items so she wouldn't, after I caught her lugging off my old stove that started a small fire in the back of it, and the hot water heater that blew and sent extremely hot water through my bedroom (it hit my dog in the face, and burned him a little).
Also, my cats all have FIP. If I throw out something large, I make sure to wrap it up tightly in contractor bags to keep neighborhood cats from catching it. Imagine if someone buys my stuff, and takes it home to their own cats.
This woman HATES me now...and I've never had a chance to explain my reasoning.
Anyways... The whole reason I typed this out is to make sure you be careful, and use some sense. If you have pets, be wary of stuff from homes with other pets (esp ill looking pets) and STAY AWAY FROM ELECTRONICS!!!!!!!!!! There may have been a very good reason it was thrown out!!!!!
Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...
For without it, we would be lost.