VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Frugal Living (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/55-frugal-living/)
-   -   Dumpster Diving (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/55-frugal-living/83371-dumpster-diving.html)

Kenickie 06-18-2008 03:12 PM

I do.

Do you?

I live behind a stretch of Chiptole burritos, grocery stores, Quiznos, etc etc, who throw out everything as soon as the date passes.

I don't think it's weird although some people might be repulsed by it.

I'm also not sure if dumpster diving is illegal where you live so if it is don't post, or whatever.

Lovey 06-18-2008 03:41 PM

Not that I care if people dumpster dive, but isn't it illegal everywhere? Since it could be a danger hazord?

Kenickie 06-18-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey View Post

Not that I care if people dumpster dive, but isn't it illegal everywhere? Since it could be a danger hazord?

supposedly, but denver is wacky like that, i guess. there are like, sactioned off dumpsters here or something. they acknowledge that it happens, and just kind of...turn the other cheek. i appreciate it.

GhostUser 06-18-2008 08:23 PM

I've tried once after hearing all the good stuffs people found at the mall's dumpsters. But most places had locked dumpsters or compactors.

Quote:

No. It's different from city to city. You could usually find it in the online municipal code database if there is a law against that.

guinnesshero 06-20-2008 04:31 AM

where im from we call them hobo's.

jenna 06-20-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

I do.

Do you?

nope and i should. there's actually a door a few houses down that's been by the tow away dumpster for a while that i'm going to get someone to help me get.

i like reused/recycled/rubbish stuff. and i love the idea of salvaging and saving money, too. i just don't know anyone around here that would want to DD with me.

Nickle00 06-20-2008 12:55 PM

I used to alley hop. My mom and I would cruise the alleys at night to see if we could find stuff that people were throwing away that we could refinish and reuse. We found old brass beds (totally worth mula after refinishing them), hutches, trunks (love, love, love old trunks), cabinets etc. It's so much fun!!

GhostUser 06-20-2008 08:54 PM

I have never dumpster dived...most of the dumpsters here are locked they dont want to get sued if people pull food out and eat them and get sick.

erin84 06-20-2008 11:35 PM

No but my partner and I have discussed it and we are all for it. We might if food prices keep rising!

WonderRandy 06-21-2008 01:01 AM

all the good dumpsters around here are locked... I used to dive the dumpster behind Borders to score magazines and books, but they started locking it....

I need to find a good grocery dumpster, and soon... it's getting crazy expensive to eat these days!

PentacleSeven 06-24-2008 09:41 AM

I don't but I do know of at least one restaurant in town that used to put their food on top or beside the dumpster whenever they could to make it saver for the divers.

Nickle00 06-24-2008 09:58 AM

They were discussing this on the radio yesterday morning. It sounds like a lot of people do it. I haven't ever and am not certain I ever would dive for food but I've definitely found some cool ass treasures curbside!!

wutaweirdo 06-24-2008 10:11 AM

I SHOULD take advantage of it, but I think it's a little too humbling for me. However, I LOVE to go around on days preceding the bulk-trash pick up days... those are AWESOME. Especially in the rich neighborhoods.

fadeaway1289 06-24-2008 06:49 PM

I'm all about picking things up curbside on big bulk trash days (especially in rich areas also) but food......yeah I wouldn't be able to do that. The discounted food racks inside the grocery store with food near the expiration date or bruised produce is as far as I'll go but something outside near the trash scares me. All the food dumpsters I've seen are smelly, filthy, and surrounded by flies/bugs.

Wednesday_12 06-24-2008 09:56 PM

No. I'm all for it, except I never enjoy the things I get out of dumpsters. So I just don't do it.

kazyeeqen 06-25-2008 04:57 PM

I work in a produce department, so I just eat the food instead of throwing it in the dumpster. You talk to me, I'll give some to you too.

Zadin 06-25-2008 11:32 PM

I started diving about a year ago.

For a while I would hit a Safeway by my house every couple nights and come home with a huge box of veggies. People don't realize how much edible food is dumped, or they do and think that is it is in some way "trash" as soon as it hits the dumpster. There is was a Bashas a mile or so from where I used to live and any day we needed bread we could just stop by and choose from the 50+ loafs discarded that day. Not sure about the legality where I live but most places here have never bothered us.

WonderRandy 06-26-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I work in a produce department, so I just eat the food instead of throwing it in the dumpster. You talk to me, I'll give some to you too.

I used to have a produce connection. this guy I knew picked up the compost from a couple of HFS's and would bring us cases of bruised but usable organic produce... those were the good times...

raefactor 07-03-2008 01:28 AM

when things were rougher we used to dumpster dive, in a manner of speaking. One of our friends would go to Panera at closing time on Sundays and take their used bread... my mom would go to grocery stores to get expiring produce... we survived.

I'd like to do it again, maybe. I'd also like to go freegan, I think.

magentamonkey 07-03-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

I used to alley hop. My mom and I would cruise the alleys at night to see if we could find stuff that people were throwing away that we could refinish and reuse. We found old brass beds (totally worth mula after refinishing them), hutches, trunks (love, love, love old trunks), cabinets etc. It's so much fun!!

That sounds like so much fun! It's like a free flea market!

I would DD but I don't have anyone to go with, and I'm scared, to be honest. I always have the suspicion that things are living in them. I'm not sure what kinds of things, but I am wary of them.

whyiveg 07-05-2008 07:39 PM

so i first started with my aunt. the salvation army near here is so sad. it takes all the donations it cant fit in its store an THROWS IT ALL AWAY!! i have gotten brand new dishes, some shoes, clothes, books, art supplies, and other crzy things. it is illegal here but we just find baby clothes and pile them up so when the cops come we can say we are getting clothes for a nearby orphanage and blankets for the county animal shelter, both of which we do actually donate to!

as for food, sometimes if you just wait until markets are changing their produce and ask them to give you the stuff they plan to dump for a discount, they do.

kiz_paws 07-05-2008 08:00 PM

I just don't understand why it would be illegal, but it is. I think that most places turn a blind eye anyhow, law or not. If someone needs the stuff, by all means take that risk and go for it.

fadeaway1289 07-05-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyiveg View Post

so i first started with my aunt. the salvation army near here is so sad. it takes all the donations it cant fit in its store an THROWS IT ALL AWAY!! i have gotten brand new dishes, some shoes, clothes, books, art supplies, and other crzy things. it is illegal here but we just find baby clothes and pile them up so when the cops come we can say we are getting clothes for a nearby orphanage and blankets for the county animal shelter, both of which we do actually donate to!

as for food, sometimes if you just wait until markets are changing their produce and ask them to give you the stuff they plan to dump for a discount, they do.

Its ridiculous the amount of stuff that gets thrown away! Clothes, food, etc. I stopped giving clothes to the salvation army and instead put them on freecycle or shelters. I worked in food service when I was younger and we were forced to throw away obscene amounts of perfectly fine food. I was also told to "skimp" on serving sizes and overcharge people. When my manager wasn't around I'd always do the opposite. I'd give people extra food or free food towards the end of the night because I knew it was all going in the trash and I can't stand to see food going to waste. I know what its like not to have money for food and the thought of so much food being thrown away gets to me. It was the same way when I worked in retail. Perfectly fine items were put in the trash compactor. Clothes, furniture, books, anything that wasn't in PERFECT condition was just tossed.

Hazelnut 07-06-2008 12:31 AM

There's a woman that lives near me who digs through everyone's trash looking for stuff to sell at the flea market.

She finds some pretty great things.

But, I had to start spray-painting all my good trash items so she wouldn't, after I caught her lugging off my old stove that started a small fire in the back of it, and the hot water heater that blew and sent extremely hot water through my bedroom (it hit my dog in the face, and burned him a little).

Also, my cats all have FIP. If I throw out something large, I make sure to wrap it up tightly in contractor bags to keep neighborhood cats from catching it. Imagine if someone buys my stuff, and takes it home to their own cats.

This woman HATES me now...and I've never had a chance to explain my reasoning.

Anyways... The whole reason I typed this out is to make sure you be careful, and use some sense. If you have pets, be wary of stuff from homes with other pets (esp ill looking pets) and STAY AWAY FROM ELECTRONICS!!!!!!!!!! There may have been a very good reason it was thrown out!!!!!

Kenickie 07-06-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

I have never dumpster dived...most of the dumpsters here are locked they dont want to get sued if people pull food out and eat them and get sick.

most are locked because they want to keep their stock as "waste" not "lost inventory". most people (not all) who dumpster dive, generally are not going to sue someone if they get sick from the food. and if they are getting sick, they should brush up their skills to know how&when to dive and how to make good judgements.

Kenickie 07-06-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutaweirdo View Post

I SHOULD take advantage of it, but I think it's a little too humbling for me. However, I LOVE to go around on days preceding the bulk-trash pick up days... those are AWESOME. Especially in the rich neighborhoods.

i guess it's totally different for me. I'm empowered and it's a huge **** you to a system i find degenerating and abusive. when people see me diving and they say something like "omg are they going through the trash?" we yell back, HELL YEAH, WANNA JOIN US? they are usually so startled they just leave. it's fun and i enjoy it. i even do it socially sometimes. with friends, downtown and broke, usually. or just feeling silly. you can score amazing things. little brother says, "why call them trash cans? treasure chests sound so much better!" (he said this on a day after diving outside a major downtown mall and finding an unopened bottle of jagermister. a punk boy's dream come true, i say.)

i'm with that one.

otomik 07-06-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

i guess it's totally different for me. I'm empowered and it's a huge **** you to a system i find degenerating and abusive.

yeah. stolen things taste better, same with a relationship society says you shouldn't have, it's a fact. I think it was stendhal who said upon eating ice cream for the first time, "this is so good it should be a sin."

another age invented conspicuous consumption todays rebels of a consumerist age will invent a new conspicuous austerity!

Eleven 07-07-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

yeah. stolen things taste better, same with a relationship society says you shouldn't have, it's a fact. I think it was stendhal who said upon eating ice cream for the first time, "this is so good it should be a sin."

another age invented conspicuous consumption todays rebels of a consumerist age will invent a new conspicuous austerity!

Since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that garbage was public property in California v. Greenwood (1988), items taken from dumpsters can hardly be termed stolen.

Harrifer 07-07-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

i guess it's totally different for me. I'm empowered and it's a huge **** you to a system i find degenerating and abusive. when people see me diving and they say something like "omg are they going through the trash?" we yell back, HELL YEAH, WANNA JOIN US? they are usually so startled they just leave. it's fun and i enjoy it. i even do it socially sometimes. with friends, downtown and broke, usually. or just feeling silly. you can score amazing things. little brother says, "why call them trash cans? treasure chests sound so much better!" (he said this on a day after diving outside a major downtown mall and finding an unopened bottle of jagermister. a punk boy's dream come true, i say.)

i'm with that one.

Incredible, this is something I want to explore in the near future.

Brandon 07-07-2008 03:35 PM

If I'm walking past a dumpster, I look into it as I pass to see what's in it. If I saw something I wanted I would get it.

I have never been in a dumpster though. I climbed on top of one once to pull out a stool that I wanted. It was full of construction debris and stuff so it was just a matter of scrambling up the side, grabbing the stool and jumping off.

I don't think I'd eat food from a dumpster. I'm way too "old-food-a-phobic" for that I think.

Kenickie 07-07-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post

Since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that garbage was public property in California v. Greenwood (1988), items taken from dumpsters can hardly be termed stolen.

i didn't even know this! :

i'll take all the stendhal i can get. i have an acute case of stendhal syndrome anyway.

otomik 07-07-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

i didn't even know this! :

i'll take all the stendhal i can get. i have an acute case of stendhal syndrome anyway.

wink wink, love the argentos.

Kenickie 07-08-2008 09:07 PM

why don't you come over?

wickedmizeri 07-15-2008 09:48 AM

I think there may be another reason why more dumpsters are locked these days...

When I was 11, I used to DD all the time, mostly because I was nosy, but I found a few treasures. Once I got trapped inside a dumpster. Fortunately, I had told my mum the general area I was gonna be in that evening and she found me a couple of hours later. The stores in the strip were all closed for the day before I even got into the container, so I could have been stuck there for much longer.

And not too long ago, there was a couple of problems with bodies in dumpsters here. One was an old homeless guy who got in to sleep and just died, the other was a guy who was murdered and dumped in the container. Due to the type of dumpsters and the loading systems of the trucks, the bodies were damaged before they were discovered.

Hope I didn't just gross y'all out.

saedierose 07-27-2008 02:59 AM

I've never dumpster dived, but have gotten quite a lot of good furniture from off the streets. It seems that people throw out things that could be used for other purposes.

I'm slightly hesitant to look for food in the garbage - there would be so much bacteria in there and I could get sick.

IntheFlesh? 07-27-2008 12:35 PM

I dumpster dive for food. You're OK to do it in the UK. The only way you can get prosecuted is if you're charged for "active trespass" -- e.g. if you're hopping fences.

I take the risk with going over gates, because there's so much good junk to be found! Honestly... Food's all packaged, and if it's not (e.g. bakery bread) it's usually thrown in bags before going in the bin.

The vegan part of one haul -- the sack was full of potatoes, the green bags bananas...

I'd totally recommend diving. My family only shops for odd things like flour nowadays, and diving lets me feed my cats meat without purchasing it.

GhostUser 07-27-2008 02:46 PM

That's a nice haul, IntheFlesh. While I would love to find some goodies at the nearby grocery stores (damn security cameras and compactors), I would be too squeamish to eat any baked goods or anything that I couldn't wash or cook in high temperature. Too much risk for contamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saedierose View Post

I've never dumpster dived, but have gotten quite a lot of good furniture from off the streets. It seems that people throw out things that could be used for other purposes.

Picking up discarded furniture off the streets is a good way to infest your home with bed bugs. I would spray the hell out of it with insecticide and leave it out for a while before I drag it in.

Marie 07-27-2008 03:47 PM

A couple of other reasons why they might be locked..

People get into the dumpsters and make a huge mess around them.

Identity theft. Some people pretend to look for stuff when they're really looking for paperwork that might not have made it through the shredder.

JazzCaptain 08-04-2008 11:12 AM

I've gone diving with a couple of friends may be once or twice but I've only really done it by my self for the most part. I live in a suburb almost, rural suburb of Fort Worth Texas, where not much business is done down here except housing and cafe's, and I only ride a bike so getting around to doing it is tough, but the few times I've DD'ed I literally stuff my sack full of every thing from cashews to Vegetable oil.

When I get my own place I'm going to try depending on solely "freeganism" for my food.

Kenickie 08-04-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzCaptain View Post

I only ride a bike so getting around to doing it is tough, but the few times I've DD'ed I literally stuff my sack full of every thing from cashews to Vegetable oil.

how do you think i get around?

i sure as **** don't drive. although, today it's the skateboard cuz the demon bike has two flats.