Dumpster Diving - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 10-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I still haven't gone around to bakeries or businesses for trash, but people throw out perfectly good stuff in my apartment complex sometimes! I went to the garbage room a couple days ago and found a tall, solid wooden (well, particle-board) bookcase in near perfect condition someone didn't want! And I'd been about to buy one! So now the free one is in my room and it's perfect and I love it

if there are areas with heavy college-student populations, good trash picking times are April/May when they move out at the end of semester and throw out sooo much perfectly good stuff on the curb

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 10-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

When I was younger, my sister's and I went behind the schools and get old school books and worksheets that they'd throw away so we could play school. We had to be careful or we'd get yelled at, though.

I don't understand why they'd care since it was just being throw out and it would be put to good use if we had it. x3

We've also found awesome coffee tables and bookshelves and other furniture of the like that would just been wasted!

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#63 Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 AM

I'm not a fan of dumpster diving, I consider it gross and unsanitary. Yes I understand big corporate food chains waste food and everything but still you never know about the germs you'll get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 10-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I found 2 baby gates (I use them for my dogs ) and a 20 L gallon tank once, just when I was driving through a neighborhood on garbage day. I took those but I've never actually looked in a dumpster.

My brother used to work next to a Blockbuster and they would throw away VHS tapes. My brother and his co-workers would go through the dumpster and they got tons of movies this way...until Blockbuster caught on and started damaging the tapes before discarding them...lame
#65 Old 10-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Beginner

Although I've only occassionally done it, I find it very intriguing. For many reasons - reduce waste, save money, and reduce reliance on the consumer culture.

Does anyone worry about evil things like used needles that could be lurking in dumpsters? Do you wear heavy gloves, etc?

I live in a very rural area, and haven't been able to envision really any ways to do this in my area. What do people in the countryside do for dumpster diving? We have a county dump, and county recycle places, but you dump your stuff in the super large hopper and there's no way to get to anything you might see that you'd want (but most of the stuff you can't even see.)

There is a very small town nearby. I suppose there might be a few businesses that would have dumpsters out back. It seems a little odd to drive many miles to get to a dumpster diving spot though...any suggestions?
#66 Old 10-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by journey View Post

Although I've only occassionally done it, I find it very intriguing. For many reasons - reduce waste, save money, and reduce reliance on the consumer culture.

Does anyone worry about evil things like used needles that could be lurking in dumpsters? Do you wear heavy gloves, etc?

I live in a very rural area, and haven't been able to envision really any ways to do this in my area. What do people in the countryside do for dumpster diving? We have a county dump, and county recycle places, but you dump your stuff in the super large hopper and there's no way to get to anything you might see that you'd want (but most of the stuff you can't even see.)

There is a very small town nearby. I suppose there might be a few businesses that would have dumpsters out back. It seems a little odd to drive many miles to get to a dumpster diving spot though...any suggestions?

It's not practical for everyone. The Tightwad Gazette author, Amy Dacyzyn, says she doesn't regularly dumpster-dive because she lives so far from a supply of dumpsters, too. You'd have to combine it with other trips. I, on the other hand, am within easy walking distance of seven dumpsters and lots of homes on trash day.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#67 Old 11-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

You can sometimes even cobble together a semi-decent PC. Add Linux, and you've got zero dollar computing with zero manufacturer pollution since you weren't the purchaser.
#68 Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 AM

Heavy trash pickup is every three months here, so hubby and I drive around and take a peek at the stuff people put out. Last time hubby suprised me with a bird cage ( for the cockatiels) that still had the price tag on it! And $80 cage for free can't beat that!

I also work for the local doctor's office and pharmacuidical reps bring all kinds of goodies to the doctors that the docs just end up tossing because they get so much. Right now I'm using a wireless mouse that I picked up (so what if it says "Benicar" on it), my desk is overstuffed with sticky pads (the kids love them to draw on) and even got a flash drive once!
#69 Old 11-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth View Post

Right now I'm using a wireless mouse that I picked up (so what if it says "Benicar" on it), my desk is overstuffed with sticky pads (the kids love them to draw on) and even got a flash drive once!

Pharma-schwag should be a crime! So much cheap plastic crap, arg!
#70 Old 11-28-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist View Post

Pharma-schwag should be a crime! So much cheap plastic crap, arg!

Most of the time I agree. I don't think it's as big of a deal when they bring in like fruit baskets (at least none of that goes to waste) As for cheap.. sometimes yes, but often they just buy something and slap thier sticker on it.
#71 Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Not food but I take future that looks decent from dumpsters.

I helped a good friend last night take a computer chair that was in good shape.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#72 Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 PM

Some friends of mine found brand new mens dress shirts in gift boxes...guess the guy really didnt want them for his b-day...such a waste he could have donated them instead of pitching them...but they were happy cause one fit her hubby perfectly.

peace love and happiness

jennifer
#73 Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

On a cycling forum I'm on, I've seen a few posts where someone noticed a nice frame or bike by a dumpster or trashcan, and notified other members.

It's amazing how many people can't tell if a frameset with a bit of rust is a high end or low end frame.

Personally, I've only taken two things out of a dumpster, both of which I had immediate uses for. One item (a PC) probably didn't count, since it was at a non-profit institution where I was notified by an employee who, due to the policies in place, couldn't easily donate the older machines, but could throw them out. <_< The other was a light fixture I could use when I walked past a place that was being remodeled.

The problem I see with dumpster diving is it is easy to think that the items are "free", when everything you own requires you to maintain it and store it. Some people don't understand that, and they end up stockpiling items of dubious value that they might use one day, and sooner or later the cost of storing those items destroys their lives.
#74 Old 12-05-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

Some friends of mine found brand new mens dress shirts in gift boxes...guess the guy really didnt want them for his b-day...such a waste he could have donated them instead of pitching them...but they were happy cause one fit her hubby perfectly.

peace love and happiness

jennifer

My mother-in-law does that all the time. She'll buy clothes, let them sit untouched a few days then pitch them! Drives me nuts >.< I try to snag them from her before they go in the trash... someone could always use them.
#75 Old 08-29-2009, 09:13 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Have any of you regular dumpster-divers been approached while diving? What have people said to you or asked you? What were your responses?

yes, often. most it's "are you going through the trash?" or "you are going to hurt yourself!" especially when i'm diving alone. i just smile and say "yes" or "no, i've done this way too much to hurt myself at this point." sometimes people don't say anything but just give me money. being a cute girl in a dumpster does something to people, i guess.

Quote:

Regarding food found in dumpsters...

Part of me says, "I've worked in food service and grocery stores, and I've seen firsthand the gross stuff that happens on a regular basis, so maybe a dumpster is the least of my worries."

The other part of me says "But do I really want to add the unknown hazards of a dumpster to the hazards I already know exist in food obtained from others?"

Thoughts?

this is why you gotta pick em! diving in a grocery store dumpster at a twilight starlight hour is fine. the only time that i think it's okay to dive during the day is if you make the rounds really quickly during lunch hour. people throw away so much lunch food. well wait, you guys are DUMPSTER diving. I also just do quick shifts through garbage cans in places like the Tivoli Student Union on campus, the trashcans on the 16th street mall, the like. So the rules for doing that kind of stuff is a little different than dumpstering. but you don't want to dive in the heat of the day - that's asking for sickness, and you don't want to dive in an area that is just "gross". i never touched food that wasn't wrapped in someway - a subway sandwich wrapped in it's wrapper, etc etc. you can do the diving for food safely, if you know what you're doing.

Quote:

I had another thought about why some dumpsters may be locked--the companies don't want random people throwing their trash in there. If enough trash that isn't theirs gets dumped, then it costs them money because they can't fit all their trash in their dumpster that they pay for.

How do you other dumpster divers respond to the idea that only people who can't afford to buy things pull things out of dumpsters, or that dumpster diving makes people look needy and desperate?

was thinking about this thread so it gets bumped again. skylark, your questions are good.

i started diving because i couldn't afford anything. i've been dumpster diving since i was 11 years old and was living on the skids. now it's just a habit, it's compulsive. whenever i see an attractive dumpster or trashcan, i just have to take a peek, just a glance.

addicted to dumpster diving

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#76 Old 08-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

why don't you come over?

you first.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#77 Old 08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Ewwwww. Never.
#78 Old 08-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

yes, often. most it's "are you going through the trash?" or "you are going to hurt yourself!" especially when i'm diving alone. i just smile and say "yes" or "no, i've done this way too much to hurt myself at this point." sometimes people don't say anything but just give me money. being a cute girl in a dumpster does something to people, i guess.

I've yet to have anyone approach me when dumpster diving, let alone offer me money! It might be because this area just has no concept of dumpster diving beyond pulling out recyclables (which one person does and got in the local newspaper for it).

Quote:
this is why you gotta pick em! diving in a grocery store dumpster at a twilight starlight hour is fine. the only time that i think it's okay to dive during the day is if you make the rounds really quickly during lunch hour. people throw away so much lunch food. well wait, you guys are DUMPSTER diving. I also just do quick shifts through garbage cans in places like the Tivoli Student Union on campus, the trashcans on the 16th street mall, the like. So the rules for doing that kind of stuff is a little different than dumpstering. but you don't want to dive in the heat of the day - that's asking for sickness, and you don't want to dive in an area that is just "gross". i never touched food that wasn't wrapped in someway - a subway sandwich wrapped in it's wrapper, etc etc. you can do the diving for food safely, if you know what you're doing.

Wait, you're pulling out sandwiches someone else ate from and then discarded? Excuse me while I consider vomiting. I do remember reading it's better to dive for food in the winter because of the cooler temps.

Quote:
was thinking about this thread so it gets bumped again. skylark, your questions are good.

i started diving because i couldn't afford anything. i've been dumpster diving since i was 11 years old and was living on the skids. now it's just a habit, it's compulsive. whenever i see an attractive dumpster or trashcan, i just have to take a peek, just a glance.

addicted to dumpster diving

I had forgotten all about my questions, but I'm certainly still interested.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#79 Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I have always wanted to do this. My bf's friend does it at Costco and gets a lot of food. Boxes of crackers, boxes of chocolate, etc. All of it is in perfect condition, it is just expired by 1 day but never bad. Most of the stores in town gate and lock their dumpsters so I will have to do some scouting. I'm not sure if it is legal here though...I will have to google!
#80 Old 08-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Here in Nashville, we have a thing known as "bread runs." Some people associated with Vanderbilt University have a nonprofit organization. Various restaurants and bakeries (who advertise "fresh baked" daily) donate their end-of-day breads and other food products to the non-profit for a tax deduction. The non-profit has volunteers (I was one for a few months) who pick up the food and take it to the needy.

We have a Saturday-morning recycling drop-off at the local school, and there is a box or two of baked goods for anyone to take from.

There's also many other items that are left at the recycling center for people to take.

So there is no need for literal dumpster diving with these things going on.
#81 Old 08-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJVeggie View Post

I'm not sure if it is legal here though...I will have to google!

I have a friend who says it's more "don't ask, don't tell."
#82 Old 08-29-2009, 04:31 PM

also strange - ethnic stores are amazing for dumpstering.

mexican cookies in da house

#83 Old 08-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

Ewwwww. Never.

that's not what your mom said.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#84 Old 08-31-2009, 03:40 PM

#85 Old 08-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
that's not what your mom said.

Naw, what she said to you was: "..just a second, let me get my bifocals...if I look through the bottom of them maybe I'll see it....."
#86 Old 08-31-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Naw, what she said to you was: "..just a second, let me get my bifocals...if I look through the bottom of them maybe I'll see it....."

my boyfriend is a jackass. it happens. but it was kind of silly of you to come into this pro diving thread and pull a 12 year old.

#87 Old 08-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I've dumpster dived for a lot of my furniture. People throw out some really good stuff, I just don't understand it. My furniture isn't broken lounges and packing crates, either, I get genuine compliments on my "interior decorating". I've found things like a 1950's, good quality good condition sideboard and a damned good four poster brass bed. I like dumpster diving, you get some really good stuff. I don't do it for food much, mainly because the places around here are not good for that, they lock up their discarded food.

Quote:
You can sometimes even cobble together a semi-decent PC. Add Linux, and you've got zero dollar computing with zero manufacturer pollution since you weren't the purchaser.

I've found a few half decent computers or managed to put some together. Decent computers and their components get dumped quite often. I rejig them and pass them on to people like pensioners so they get free computers.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#88 Old 08-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
my boyfriend is a jackass. it happens. but it was kind of silly of you to come into this pro diving thread and pull a 12 year old.

Your boyfriend is 12?
#89 Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Your boyfriend is 12?

totally

#90 Old 08-31-2009, 04:10 PM

Kiz, are dumpstering laws different in your part of the world?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page