free vegetarian Starter Kit! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I've got one of those on the way...hasn't arrived yet.

I've read people's posts on other forums, where they saw it takes a long time to come in, and that it's not really a kit...just a Vegan Food Pyramid, and a bunch of Animal Rights Campain brochures. And, that the brochures vary according to where you ordered your starter kit from (i.e. PETA, FARM, etc...) and what campaigns they have going at the time.

Someone who received there's said it would be more accurately described as "Vegetarian Starter Information," as there's nothing that would constitute it being a "kit."

Again, I don't know myself. I have my fingers crossed that there's at least a few coupons.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#3 Old 12-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I just got mine from PETA, and one from Mercy for Animals.

I don't see what people were complaining about...

They're not what I was expecting, but still worth getting.

They were each different, and not the same thing peddled by two different organizations.

The first half of the booklet is animal-cruelty stuff...complete with graphic photos.

The last half touches on nutritional information, gives references, and has some nice recipes. Many of the recipe's are so simple they'd never wind up in a cookbook. Example: Firm Silken Tofu + Chocolate Chips + Blender = Chocolate Mousse(sp?) - I won't eat the chocolate chips, but I'm sure I could use raw sugar and cocoa powder.

I do have a gripe about PETA's kit/brochure thingy. The entire last half of the book is filled with almost nothing but pre-processed foods (veggie burgers and such) and leaves the impression that the vegetarian diet is all about buying expensive meat replicas. There's a TON of brand name dropping, and even a picture of a shopping cart FILLED with Frozen Gardenburger Veggie Burgers, Tofutti Cutties, Nayonaise (or Veganaise...can't remember), fake sausage (forget brand), each with the brand logo clearly visible...with about three random fresh veggies tossed in.

Perhaps PETA is getting great sponsorships from these companies...but still... The products that the PETA guide tells you to eat are not healthy and balanced enough for three meals a day...every day.

I just think it gives the wrong impression.

Still though, it's worth doing a google for the starter kits, and having them sent to you. They're free, an interesting read, and have nice recipes.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I ordered mine from PETA a year ago. Still haven't gotten it.......how long did it take everyone else to get theirs??
#5 Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Send for it again if you still want it. It only took about 1-1.5 months to get mine. I have to second LovelyPerv though, most of the Peta 'kit' is about which faux meat product is best. If you're new enough to being veg*n to need the faux meat to make a transition it's great. Honestly, just let yourself have a couple of uninterrupted time on VeggieBoards and you're going to get way more information about veg*nism.

R
#6 Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I got the Peta one a while ago. I didn't like that it was just substitutions. They should try to teach people how to eat whole foods, instead of depending on similar products. I did like the information on animal cruelty, it should open the eyes of hopeful vegetarians.
#7 Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 AM
Beginner

Peta has this really unbecoming habit of grabbing at every trendy vegetarian thing that they possibly can. I just went to the Peta teen site out of boredom and they're having a Skinny ***** giveaway. Whenever I read anything on the peta site for too long I feel like I'm watching Saturday morning cartoon advertisements all over again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page