Little ways to save money? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 03-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Hippymama, do you mean the the bags of pine chips you get for hamsters? Use that for litter? I have 6 cats and 3 litter boxes. Would that work for me?

Yes. I have pine, but cedar or whatever would work too. I recently switched and I can't believe how great it is. There is NO stinky peee smell. I had a self cleaning box(the kind that you roll and dump the little drawer). I cleaned my litter at least once a day, but it never was really clean. Last week I let it go for over a week, and I still didn't smell anything at all. I did have to switch to a different pan, becasue the chips don't work with a self cleaning pan. If you have regular ones that should be fine.

On, personal care products, I do make some of them. The only thing I dont make myself is shampoo, conditioner and body soap. Face cleanser, bath salts etc, is made by me.

That's kind of funny. I don't make many products (not a big product girl) but the ones I do are shampoo, conditioner, body scrub, bug repellent and deo. They are more like natural substitutes than the store bought types, but they are much better than anything else I've used, super cheap and easy to make. (ok, it isn't really making. It's more like putting it into a pretty container and adding a few drops of scented oil.) PM me for recipes.

I would love to learn how to compost by only one small bucket hippymama. That sounds ideal for some possible containers I may be able to do a herb garden in.

I have my bucket, but still haven't gotten my worms, so no rogress report yet, but here is the link I used to set it up. http://www.cityfarmer.org/wormcomp61.html

I PMed you. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 03-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but reuse teabags. You can get cute little 'teabag plates' to put your used teabags on and let them dry. (or be cheap like me and just leave them in the empty mug). Also I don't throw out dayold coffee, I reheat it OR just make halfpots so I don't have to throw any out. I buy recycled coffee filters, but I'm wondering if there's a reuseable option anyone knows of?

If you're staying at a hotel, hoard extra TP and soaps and shampoos and kleenex etc. I did that before I quit my housekeeping job...hehehe...

If you have roommates, don't buy your own stuff just eat theirs a little bit at a time so they don't notice. And don't buy more toiletpaper unless they ask you to...just keep a spare roll in your room to keep using for your own use when the main supply runs out, so they have no choice but to go buy more. Okay just joking about that one...maybe

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#63 Old 03-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I buy recycled coffee filters, but I'm wondering if there's a reuseable option anyone knows of?

Every coffee pot I've bought has come with a permanent gold-plated coffee filter. I tend to buy small (cup-at-a-time or four-cup pots), and I think this feature is more standard on them. Amazon.com sells permanent filters in an array of sizes, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 03-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Yes I use cloth rags ALL the time. I never buy paper towels. My sister drives me bonkers because not only does she use paper towels like they are going out of style, but she will use paper plates and STYROFOME cups when she doesnt feel like cleaning. UGH!

OMG this is SOOOOOOO my MIL. Drives me batty! I am trying to find a nice way to tell her to STOP BRINGING THAT STUFF TO MY HOUSE!!!!! and disposable diapers too. They take up space I don't have to use, and it makes me feel like I need to use them and be grateful she's TRYING to help... but I just want to hand the box back to her and say "no thanks."

The last time she did this, I was on the eve of a move and she thought they'd be helpful if I didn't get the washer hooked up quickly. But why why why did she have to get the gigantor box?? *ugh*
#65 Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I buy recycled coffee filters, but I'm wondering if there's a reuseable option anyone knows of?

For $10 you can get a washable, totally reusable metal filter. They have them in the cone or basic flat-bottom filter shapes.
#66 Old 03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

If you smoke, stop. This will save you significant simoleans, and a whole lot more.
#67 Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

If you smoke, stop. This will save you significant simoleans, and a whole lot more.

When I quit smoking in 2002 I joined an online support group and they provide you with a tracker to monitor your stats.

So, since 2002 I have saved $6,025.50. I guess that's one way to save money. And since I quit smoking, I stopped my visits to Tim Hortons for coffee.
#68 Old 03-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I take a bath, not a shower.

I don't think that is more economical. Not where I live anyway. We are always encouraged here to take showers instead of baths, in order to save water and energy.
#69 Old 03-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I don't think that is more economical. Not where I live anyway. We are always encouraged here to take showers instead of baths, in order to save water and energy.

It's easy to figure out which way you use more water, just put in the stopper and take a shower. I use about the same amount either way.
#70 Old 03-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, but you get cleaner with a shower since you're not soaking in the dirty water. But if you take a bath and let it out and refill it to rinse with clean, you'll use more than you would with a shower.
#71 Old 03-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

OMG this is SOOOOOOO my MIL. Drives me batty! I am trying to find a nice way to tell her to STOP BRINGING THAT STUFF TO MY HOUSE!!!!! and disposable diapers too. They take up space I don't have to use, and it makes me feel like I need to use them and be grateful she's TRYING to help... but I just want to hand the box back to her and say "no thanks."

The last time she did this, I was on the eve of a move and she thought they'd be helpful if I didn't get the washer hooked up quickly. But why why why did she have to get the gigantor box?? *ugh*

When GMA tries to give me stuff I don't want, I tell her something like "Oh, we don't need/use those, we have so much. I bet so-and-so would fit/use them." I even had her dump off some leftover sposies, baby cereal and formula we had for travelling and left at her house. Ugh, can't believe I used that stuff. Or tell her that you won't be using it, but the church/foodbank/shelter will appreciate her donation.
#72 Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningCalm View Post

Every coffee pot I've bought has come with a permanent gold-plated coffee filter. I tend to buy small (cup-at-a-time or four-cup pots), and I think this feature is more standard on them. Amazon.com sells permanent filters in an array of sizes, though.

I prefer little coffee presses that make 2 cups at a time. My grocery store sells the reusable filters. We almost never have coffee, so we still have the packet of filters I bought 5 years ago. If I run out before the coffee pot disintegrates, I'll get a reusable filter.
#73 Old 03-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I use a Cosabella carpet sweeper that I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond for $15, I had a $5 dollar off coupon I got in the mail that I used when I purchased it, it saves a lot of $$$ on the electric bill because vacuums use tons of electricity, plus the carpet sweep uses no bag.

I also make my own pizza rather than ordering out or buying frozen, and can save a ton of money using my sauce recipe that uses primarily tomato paste and is delicious, and flour mainly for the crust, and cheese on sale. You can make them for under $2, and they're better than take-out IMO.

I cut coupons, in Cali. they are double and when you use them and buy whatever it is you have the coupon for on sale, you can get things for free, you can also print coupons online.

Laundry detergent is very powerful I have read you can use half of what it says on the bottle per load.

You can always call your phone co. and ask if they have a better offer for your internet or long distance or whatever, and usually they'll lower your rate, if you are late on a credit card payment and call they let you get away with it for free once a year if you call they'll take of the fee.

Only buy regular coffee drinks at cafes, you save soooooo much $$$.

Also Starbucks gives away used coffee grounds for you garden, they are great!

I agree with whoever it was who brought up the entertainment book, they are amazing!
#74 Old 03-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I also read you have cats. If you buy frontline for them you can save big $$$ buying it on ebay too.

You can get rid of long distance services on your phone bill and save a lot of cash, and just use the cheapest phone cards that you can find if you do need to call someone long distance.
#75 Old 03-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

as far as the long distance calls, lots of programs on the computer that let you talk to people for free. that could be another route.
#76 Old 03-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Beginner

On the coffee filter issue: there are reusable metal baskets (usually gold-plated) in all sorts of shapes and sizes. You can buy hemp filters that are reusable.

If you decide not to get disposable filters, you can at least look for unbleached filters, which are usually just as cheap as the bleached ones, and don't involve dumping all sorts of hazardous wastes into the environment.

I have also found that some store-brand coffees are just as good - if not better - than higher-priced brands. However, they're not shade-grown, organic, or anything else like that. If you're just looking to save money, though, try the store brand. (My favorite coffee is 8 O'Clock coffee, which used to be the house brand for the A&P supermarket, although now it's independent of the supermarket. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than high-end coffees, and I think it tastes better too.)
#77 Old 03-18-2006, 07:42 AM

i've googled simple living or cheap living and found some good links. simpleliving.net is full of good advice.
#78 Old 03-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

For the reusable metal filters...are those actually safe? I am imagining traces of metal being filtered into my coffee...maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't really like the idea! Maybe I will look into the hemp reusable ones...

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#79 Old 03-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

just a follow up on my previous reply in this thread, regarding buying things online:

Be very careful about purchasing contact lenses from your eye doctor...I've noticed that they are overcharging WAY too much...I saved about $70 from buying online, which is about 40%! Also, I know that Acuvue usually offers mail-in rebates as well, so you could end up saving 50% or more!
#80 Old 03-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Banned

Gold-plated reusible filters or even stainless steel, are unlikely to put a worrisome amount of dissolved metal compounds into your coffee. Just don't use aluminum ones. Of course, don't use lead ones either.

If you buy canned vegetables, you are probably getting 50 times as much tin, nickel, iron, or whatever, from any metal inside the cans -- the foods sits in it for months giving the can's coating plenty of time to dissolve into the food -- than you do from running hot water thru a metal filter for 10 minutes -- even tho there is a lot more surface area that the wter comes in contact with. They also use stainless steel or other metals that are much less prone to dissolving that the cheaper metals that metal cans are made out of.
#81 Old 03-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

re using xmas and b day cards... I cut and pasted this from an email from my mum....

Mind you Aunt Ivy, the real clutter Queen, who else wheels old fridges home, well she used to recycle Xmas and Birthday cards. Below the original senders name and love she used to add "and Ivy, Harry and Joan..." It was several years before mother stopped wondering who the first line people were. She thought Ivy was taking in boarders....
#82 Old 03-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

That's hillarious! I wish I was on Aunt Ivy's Christmas card list.
#83 Old 03-25-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismith View Post

i've googled simple living or cheap living and found some good links. simpleliving.net is full of good advice.

I forgot about that site. I use to love it and post on their boards. I should check that out again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page