What did you buy second hand today? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-11-2005, 04:33 PM

Well, i thought it would be interesting to see if anyone enjoys thrift shopping, *yard/garage* sales as much as i did. Finding things people would normally throw away, that you could use. A form of recylcing that i feel is important. I usually travel around on Saturdays and browse various yard sales and what not with family or friends. To see if i find anything interesting. This weekend I went for the first time in a few weeks and managed to leave with the following items....

Patio Umbrella *nothing wrong with it at all* ~free

A GORGEOUS rocking chair~ 5.00

A wicker basket to hang outside that you would put flowers in~ .25

So, I guess just share what you have found second hand lately, if you are interested. *smiles*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Got a working Monitor from the curb side and a canning kettle at Amvets (1.50)
#3 Old 09-11-2005, 05:13 PM

On Friday I picked up a funny little coin purse with a picture of a 70's looking little girl on it (for $.25), and a kitchy old canasta set ($.50), both from a garage sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Beginner

A white thermal long sleeved shirt that actually fits....guys thermal shirts are always too big. Cost me 2 bucks. And it has no stains!
#5 Old 09-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Beginner

not second hand per se, but i got about 5 pounds of yams for a buck because they were "old"!!!!! i love yams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#6 Old 09-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

i haven't bought anything second hand in a long time!!!! i went shopping about a month a go, but didn't find anything good.
#7 Old 09-11-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianSKA View Post

not second hand per se, but i got about 5 pounds of yams for a buck because they were "old"!!!!! i love yams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YuMmY! Yum Yum!
#8 Old 09-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Last weekend my husband and I bought from friends who are moving:

Hand woodworking tools - planes, adze, shingle-splitter, saw, another kind of shaper thingy, special shaping hatchet (I don't know the right name)

Hoof nippers for sheep and goats

A big pot for canning, and some jars

A 12volt cooler to run on a car battery or with an adapter to plug into 120v

2 55 gallon water tanks

some other hand tools

and if the price is right, a set of two-storey scaffolding!

We actually haven't paid for any of this yet because they haven't told us how much they want, we hope we won't have to give any of it back!
#9 Old 09-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

What a great idea for a thread! Unfortunately I have nothing to add, but it's inspiring!

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 09-11-2005, 10:50 PM

A purse-$2.00 and a long thin tall table-dark wood with glass inlets. It's too perfect for what I want it for and I talked the guy down to $25.00 Score!!! I love going to thrift shops! And I got 2 pottery mugs that are really skinny and super tall...I always look for the odd things and conversation pieces. If somthing is'nt perfect and looks like somone made a mistake making it, I am always drawn to that. The more odd and interesting the better.

Alene
#11 Old 09-12-2005, 02:14 PM

Set of full sized sheets for 6 bucks.

I'm a thriftshopaholic.
#12 Old 09-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Two dinner plates for $ 1.20 each

#13 Old 09-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Pair of shoes. $.50
#14 Old 09-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

nothing, but we got some second handed shoes for free
#15 Old 09-13-2005, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Some FABULOUS shoes from ebay for about a quarter of the price they should have been. They're in good condition though. I need to start doing this more often as I am broke broke broke and have student debts.
#16 Old 09-15-2005, 01:29 AM

I am sooo happy, today in the thrift store, I found a tall wooden round thing that has 12 very tall big silk sunflowers in it. The sunflowers are almost 3 feet tall with different size heads. The sticker said $20 and I asked if they would sell it for $15 and they said yes. It looks really great in my living room!!

Alene
#17 Old 09-16-2005, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger View Post

I am sooo happy, today in the thrift store, I found a tall wooden round thing that has 12 very tall big silk sunflowers in it. The sunflowers are almost 3 feet tall with different size heads. The sticker said $20 and I asked if they would sell it for $15 and they said yes. It looks really great in my living room!!

Alene

I have my kitchen decorated with sunflowers. I'm a junkie hehe what can i say? ~ Sounds like a great buy!!!! ~jamie~
#18 Old 09-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to be putting a bunch of very nice silverplate and glass on ebay soon. If anyone is interested, I'll post about it here in the frugal forum when I get it up on auction.
#19 Old 09-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

omg this is the greatest idea for a thread ... though i do have to give credit to porvide for coming up with the original last thing you bought thread ....

so today i went to Savers and got the following:

Unionbay cargo pants, they're really thin and comfy - 10$ (kinda expensive for that store, but they're worth it)

Burgundy velvet stretchy pants - 6$ they're SOOOOO comfortable

South park t-shirt - $1 !!! Cartman is on it and it says "respect my authority"

this is so awesome, i love Savers.

ETA: i'm kind of a grungy hippie type of girl, and i'm crazy about old clothes, so to me thrift shopping is better than regular shopping ... worn clothes have so much character....
#20 Old 09-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Bought all my textbooks this semester used on eBay...does that count? I also got 3 pairs of nice bootleg jeans for $6 each the other day!!!
#21 Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

two soup bowls for 1.49 (for the two of them!) They're the old fashioned kind with the little lids on them...ohhh I want to post pictures...maybe later when I am feeling not so lazy. they're in great condition...I love them

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#22 Old 09-17-2005, 10:46 AM

Since I'm moving an on a budget, I bought the following from a huge indoor fleamarket

*Sofa and loveseat set - excellent condition, no stains, rips, tears, nothin. * 250 bucks

*Black dinette set - new condtion 125 bucks

*Set of 16 blue chrystal drinking glasses - 4 bucks

*Two new IKEA skillets - 5 bucks

*entertainment center - 20 bucks

Not bad for three rooms of stuff, I think.
#23 Old 09-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ That's awesome.
#24 Old 09-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

Not bad for three rooms of stuff, I think.

Holy wow! What a deal!
#25 Old 09-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

i bought a sewing machine for 10 bucks, it's about 60 years old or so but it does need a couple of things - like a new belt and a screw to hold it in .... but the motor works

and i have another sewing machine that i got from freecycle like a month ago, that is really old too and is in a great condition besides the motor ... so my project for tomorrow is to try to make one good one out of two bad ones ..... for the total price of 10 dollars.
#26 Old 09-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought a really cool bowl set. It's yellow.
#27 Old 09-21-2005, 06:04 AM

some friends are moving and I was invited to go through some things that they were hoping to get rid of before the move but didn't sell at yard sale. Sooooo, I ended up walking away with~

an entire plate set,

some really adorable wooden butterflies,

and some cool woven circular mats. I'm not sure what they are supposed to be, but i think they would look awesome hanginig on the wall.

All free...and lots more to go thru, so ill keep ya posted.
#28 Old 09-21-2005, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

i bought a sewing machine for 10 bucks, it's about 60 years old or so but it does need a couple of things - like a new belt and a screw to hold it in .... but the motor works

and i have another sewing machine that i got from freecycle like a month ago, that is really old too and is in a great condition besides the motor ... so my project for tomorrow is to try to make one good one out of two bad ones ..... for the total price of 10 dollars.

Ok im really impressed here because not only can i not sew, but putting together sewing machines to make them work? Wow. I did know how to sew when i was younger but its since been lost on me. I hope that worked for you!!!! Can i ask what your first project will be????? *smiles* ~jamie~
#29 Old 09-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_jamie26 View Post

Ok im really impressed here because not only can i not sew, but putting together sewing machines to make them work? Wow. I did know how to sew when i was younger but its since been lost on me. I hope that worked for you!!!! Can i ask what your first project will be????? *smiles* ~jamie~

Well I've never tried putting sewing machines together either, but it seems like changing the motor shouldn't be that bad. I didn't get to do it yet - haven't really had time for it, but i wanna do it as soon as possible. And my grandmother taught me how to sew when i was 9 years old, and i practiced every once in a while until i turned 13, and then i haven't in 5 years and tried again this winter and everything worked out fine. First project will be making a pair of pants into capris then i'll probably make myself a tote bag and then move into more complicated stuff.

btw, some nice stuff you got for free, Jamie.
#30 Old 09-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

(*Brain explodes*) Vicky - I am incredibly impressed!! I can sew - but if my machine does the SMALLEST thing wrong, I rush it off to the repair shop!

I found used but almost new-looking leather (I know, I know) expensive name-brand tennis shoes to fit ALL THREE of my kids today at the Thrift store! 5 bucks each! They got thrown in the washer and dryer and came out BEAUTIFUL... (I can't imagine letting my kids wear "used" shoes without washing them...yish).

They'll last all school year and my kids aren't embarrassed by having weird-no-name-brand shoes and I'm happy because I'm reusing something (I won't buy "new" leather shoes for them, but they do last so much longer, I will try to find second hand when possible).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page