Dumpster Divers? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Beginner

Me and a friend once dumpster dived and found an old car seat from a minivan. Now we use it as a couch for our club, were we basically take random stuff people throw away and make it into furniture and stuff. I think every high school should have one.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I would definitely dumpster dive if I were around dumpsters much. As it is we always try to pick useful stuff off the road. My husband found a copper ground pole for an electric fence on the road, which will come in handy now we're putting up electric fencing for my sister's horse...
#33 Old 01-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

There has been a huge spread in Bedbugs especially in college areas because of people "dumpster diving" or taking furniture which has been left on the side of the road for pick-up. Sofas, chairs, even picture frames can all harbor bedbugs.

Ewww... That's something that never occurred to me. I would definitely think twice about scavenging from dumpsters now that you've brought that to my attention! Thanks for the warning, bstutzma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I have found all sorts of stuff in the trash. I don't think I've ever "dumpster dived," in the sense of deliberately going through trash, but I have picked up things that have been on top.

For example, I got a small plastic desk fan that someone was throwing out. I cleaned it up, put some oil in it, and it worked fine. My Mom used it in her bedroom when she was getting dressed and really liked the nice cool breeze. I still have it in my office, some 15 years after finding it, and it still works fine. Yes, you can buy a new one for about $15 or so, but I still feel good that it is useful rather than trashed.

I also went to recycle some plastics at an unmanned recycling dumpster. Right on top I found about 80 "jewel cases" from audio cds. Almost all of these were perfectly good. I guess the person had converted to the "slim" cases or some other storage mechanism.

I've never heard about the problem with bugs before, but I did see a segment of "how clean is your house" where they recommended putting your bed linens in the freezer for 24 hours to kill dust mites (if you could not wash them in hot water--and all the linens I've seen say to wash in warm or cold). I am not sure whether that would work on bedbugs, but if you have a small item that can go in the freezer for a day or two, it might be worth a try.
#35 Old 01-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't dumpster dived, but we have 'hard waste' collection every couple of months, and people put all the stuff like used furniture etc that they no longer want out on their front lawns and you can get some interesting things.

It's kind of accepted here that hard waste is anyone's grab once it's on the front lawn.

We've gotten a computer chair, CD stackers, lamps, a computer monitor, lots of goodies.

My housemate got a working tellie he then used to make a table with a glass top and the tellie in it, kitted out with a sega. It's often the centre of attention when we have parties.

We had our council try and outlaw hard waste sifting not long ago, the reason? Not because they didn't want people going through the waste, but because part of the contract of the rubbish collectors was that they get first dibs at the good stuff, and they had complained that they were 'losing money'.

Sheesh...

Personally, if someone wanted something from the hard waste I put out, I'd say got for it!
#36 Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 AM

i have no problem with it--i have never done it--but i have a close friend and his life partner who live in an apartment building where there isnt enough room for all the garbage in the bins---so people leave it in bags and boxes on the side--my friend matt had found books--cds--videos-- dress shirts in boxes--with part of the birthday paper still on them--a pair od dress shoes--and a bag of toys-action figures that were all brand new still in packages---he took them all and used what they could--gave away the rest.--its sooo sad imo that if you get something you dont want that people dont donate it they throw it away sad--just sad..and Lazy.

peace and love

jenn
#37 Old 01-19-2006, 05:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I've never heard about the problem with bugs before, but I did see a segment of "how clean is your house" where they recommended putting your bed linens in the freezer for 24 hours to kill dust mites (if you could not wash them in hot water--and all the linens I've seen say to wash in warm or cold). I am not sure whether that would work on bedbugs, but if you have a small item that can go in the freezer for a day or two, it might be worth a try.

You're welcome for the warning, KarenM. I hope that the news spreads so that no one else will have to go through what my sister went through.

Bedbugs will hide inside the corners of your mattress, or inside your mattress, if there are ANY tears that could allow them to get inside. they are masterful at hiding in the cracks of your walls, in the frames of pictures, in the crevices of your dresser. They are very, very hard to get rid of. Supposedly, they were pretty much erradicated 40 years ago because of a particular pesticide, but its use is illegal now because its dangerous (i would thinking putting any pesticides on your MATTRESS is just asking for trouble... breathing that crap in every day....) and many exterminators simply don't know how to get rid of them.

Here is an article about their recent comeback:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...3_bedbugs.html
#38 Old 01-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I didn't even know we had them here in Australia!

Nasty little suckers!

I would't get anything that was bedding from a dumpster anyway. I have a microbiology degree and I can visualise a lot unfortunately!
#39 Old 01-20-2006, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

Where do you find your dumpsters? All the ones I've seen are really really gross and not something I'd want to look around in.

I think the two types of dumpsters that are best for material items are dumpsters outside of businesses like a bookstore (for example) and the huge dumpsters they put outside buildings that they're gutting or renovating. You can get all sorts of furniture, lamp fixtures, et cetera. And those types of dumpsters aren't usually too garbage-y.

I dumpster dive from time to time and so do most of my roommates. My roommates dumpster dived outside of the Cliff Bar factory and brought home a 50 pound unopened bag of cocoa--it's months later and we still have over half of it. They also brought home several dozens bars of experimental flavors.

They also once went to the produce distributing area of town (which most cities most likely have and the dumpsters are amazing there) and brought home a banana-box sized box filled with perfectly fine hot peppers. I spent about six hours the next day roasting them and turning them into hot sauce and I gave them out as gifts to the other co-ops in town! It was awesome.

Thanks dumpsters!
#40 Old 01-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

When I lived in Los Angeles I used to put out things on the sidewalk that I didn't want with a sign that said "Free" - most things were taken quickly.
#41 Old 01-30-2006, 12:49 AM

recently a friend of mine was saying that he was throwing out some trash when they saw a bag and inside was a brand new back pack-he pulled it out checked it out--and took it--a neighbor of theirs said that if they knew he wanted it they wouldnt have thrown it out--out of curtiosity he asked why they did--their answer the color--its red and she wanted a black one--but was too lazy to take it back or to goodwill or the thrift stores...

peace and love

jenn
#42 Old 02-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I found a vintage 60's coffee table out in front of a neighbour's house once when I was 20. It's one of those gawdy ones with olive green velvet on the sides. It was once my most prized piece of furniture but my tastes have changed and it's sitting in the basement unloved.

I'm starting over again soon and I look forward to complimenting all of my carefully selected new furnishings with some whacky stuff I find on the curb.
#43 Old 02-23-2006, 03:29 PM

When we lived in CA they had a "spring cleaning" once a year and people could put ANYTHING out on the cubrside for trash to pick up.

I can remember driving up and down streets looking for things that people threw out that we could use.

We got quite a few nice things this way.

We'd always go to the ritzy neighborhoods and get stuff that did not even look like trash to anyone that saw it!

That was so much fun. It's been six years since we have been out of CA, those were some great times!

Pam
#44 Old 03-03-2006, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday at the dump we picked up a baby stroller which I'm going to turn into a cart to carry things around the garden, it should be easier on my back than a wheelbarrow.
#45 Old 03-16-2006, 07:57 AM

i dive! haven't bought veggies in a year.
#46 Old 03-16-2006, 08:06 AM

don't fotget to check out your local college at semester's end.....its a goldmine!
#47 Old 04-16-2006, 01:00 PM

I am so happy others d/d and re-use too!

I have been a thrift shop fanatic for years..most everything I have is from a yard sale or free.

The neatest free d/d trash day finds for me:

A perfectly good stenograph machine with stand that I sold online auction.

A plaster Miller High Life figurine in perfect condition..auction also

An old baby changing table I use for a garage plant stand

A two door credenza that I refinished

Old record albums..opera and great stuff

A metal 50s doctor's office type cabinet

An old kid's game "spare-tyme" that I have seen reissued

Some of the b list stuff of mine I am finally going to part with...probably a yard sale this summer.

Then someone else can buy it and start the cycle all over again.

Cheers

Paula
#48 Old 04-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't dumpster dive but I used to pick up "Free" furniture off the curb. I found this great arm chair once and I reupholstered it. I was learning how to do it and it was a great project. It's still in my house and I love the chair.

Another time a family was selling their home and I took all their unwanted stuff. They were so grateful to me for taking them. I had lots of fun picking through the stuff. I even sold a piece of pottery on eBay for over $100. I don't have much room in the house so I don't do this anymore.
#49 Old 04-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Wanna know the fastest way to get rid of a broken washing machine? Put it in the alley. The spinner (I don't know the right name for it) was broken on our washing machine so into the alley it went with a note saying what was wrong with it. It was 2 days before pickup so we knew someone would pick it up. I figure if someone wants what we no longer do they are welcome to it. They do deserve to know what's wrong with it though.

We had a sewer line break in our basement a few months ago and had to get rid of a lot of stuff that looked really nice (It was in the basement and that was a good enough reason to chunk it). A note explaining what happened was enough to keep people from getting into something dangerous.
#50 Old 04-20-2006, 07:06 AM

i've had really great luck DD-ing!! i love it
#51 Old 04-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't dumpster-dive, but if I have something that I think someone might want, I put it to beside the dumpster so it's easier to take. They always disappear.
#52 Old 05-02-2006, 09:59 AM

I DD occassionaly. Usually if its on top or near the dumbster. Most people around here are so into donating and recyling, it can be hard to find anything. But I did fine the rest of mine and my sister's soon to be living room set (I had bought the couch and found two over sized chairs and an entertainment center to finish it off). I've found some cool jewerly and clothing too. Never tried it for food though. I figure I'm not that needy and someone who is needs it more then I do.
#53 Old 05-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

Okay, so I used to DD all the time in Sarasota, but in Tampa, Florida I had a cop tell me it was illegal. What's the truth? Anyone know?

It is illegal in general to take someone's private property even if they have expressed that they don't want it.

Dumpster diving seems to involve trespassing in practice also.
#54 Old 05-10-2006, 09:16 AM

Would anyone be up for any dumpster diving adventures?
#55 Old 05-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes, mostly just at our dumspter. I did dumspter dive some computer stuff a while back and have been hauling it around in my car because I've been too busy too to sort through it bring it off to the recycle place in the next town.

I got a small cabinent from our dumpster before. I keep my computer stuff in there.

As of today I have things like surplus pots and pans will I will give free to anyone who wants them.
#56 Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Alex Pickett -- I am a staff writer with the Weekly Planet. I'm looking for people's dumpster diving stories. Would anyone care to share them with me or (even better) take me with them on a dumpster diving adventure?

I promise to keep the good spots a secret.

Any help would be much appreciated...

[email protected]
#57 Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I sent you an email, Alex.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page