How to Eat a Healthy Whole Foods, Plant-Based Diet on $50 Per Week - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 3 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By ashleycharters
  • 1 Post By ashleycharters
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
How to Eat a Healthy Whole Foods, Plant-Based Diet on $50 Per Week



Quote:
Having a tight grocery budget is something most all of us can relate to at least at some point or another. We all have our ups and downs when it comes to a food budget, and if you’re ever had to watch every penny, you know it can be tough. Sadly, a whole foods, plant-based diet is still seen as an incredibly hard task to manage. “Healthy eating is too expensive!”

How many times have we all heard (or said) that?

Well, the options are now easier than ever and more affordable when it comes to eating a healthy, whole food and completely plant-based diet if you want to give this a shot. If you have $50 per week to designate for groceries, you can easily eat healthy, cheap, and stay full and satisfied at the same time. The USDA reports that of March in 2015, the average food cost for females per week ranged between $47 (low-income) to $57 (moderate income). Mens’ budgets were roughly $20 higher in each group. Many of us buy way more than that each week, and yet find ourselves with food leftover and possibly throwing food out week after week. We’re all human and let cravings, moods, and multiple trips at the store influence our ability to stay on a food budget and eat what we have.

So, let’s take a look at how eating healthy, plant-based, and budget-friendly can be done.
Read the rest here: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natura...ollars-a-week/

These are some great tips. I've been meaning to start shopping in the bulk section more to save money and cut back on wasteful packaging.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-25-2017, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,955
Don't know what the above cooker is, but I bought the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker last black friday and am very very happy. My old stove top pressure cooker needed too much baby sitting, this one I can set and leave it be for precise cooking. It can be programmed for steaming, and slow cooking, and can be used to saute.
I've been back to cooking a pound of beans every week with multiple meals from soups, casseroles, sandwich fixing, dips, burgers, and snack bars

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is online now  
#3 Old 02-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Don't know what the above cooker is, but I bought the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker last black friday and am very very happy. My old stove top pressure cooker needed too much baby sitting, this one I can set and leave it be for precise cooking. It can be programmed for steaming, and slow cooking, and can be used to saute.
I've been back to cooking a pound of beans every week with multiple meals from soups, casseroles, sandwich fixing, dips, burgers, and snack bars
It seems like the whole vegan community is OBSESSED with Instant Pots now! I've been seeing videos and posts about them all over Youtube, Facebook, reddit, etc. I need to get one, I feel so out of the loop.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 02-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
It seems like the whole vegan community is OBSESSED with Instant Pots now! I've been seeing videos and posts about them all over Youtube, Facebook, reddit, etc. I need to get one, I feel so out of the loop.
I was pretty apprehensive that it would just be another gadget that took up room, and too fussy to really use. Boy was I wrong! I use it almost daily. Soak beans or grains overnight, set it and it comes to pressure for time set, then turns off, or keeps warm, and I usually set the time to take into account the de-pressurizing time it still cooks. Things like fresh veggies are done in almost no time, with a manual release. Root veggies are perfect-i'm still working on things like broccoli and cauliflower which have been a bit too soft.
I do a pound of beans on Sunday, and add to veg soups I make in it, the rest made into dips or spreads, with grains, in salads. I've really been frugal this way. Pastas really good too, cooked in sauce
I do think you'll love it

Anyway, I got this one on black friday for $68. It's now $99.
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...ds=instant+pot

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is online now  
#5 Old 02-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,657
I wonder why the public thinks that plant-based diets are expensive? Do they think that we live on goji berries and other high-priced specialty foods? There's nothing cheaper than beans, rice, and green vegetables - especially if you shop at your local Asian or Hispanic market. Vitamin B12 supplements are also dirt-cheap.
Spudulika likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
#6 Old 02-25-2017, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,955
The conversations I have with people are so funny. My co worker is really 'trying' to eat healthier, and the 'it's sooo expensive to eat healthy ' comes up constantly, esp during lunch. I constantly explain what I'm eating, how little it costs, give shopping and cooking tips--and their response is--well yeah, if you like that kind of stuff!!! So, it's not that they want to eat healthier and cheaper, it's that they want the food they eat now to be healthy.
Mojo likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is online now  
#7 Old 02-25-2017, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,955
Totally off topic, but I can't find the recent thread on hummus. I just made a big batch with one tablespoon peanut butter. I hate it. I don't think there's anything I could do to salvage it now. I used to just make it with olive oil, garlic and some lemon juice and salt, no tahini or nut butter. I so regret the PB

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is online now  
#8 Old 02-25-2017, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Spudulika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
I wonder why the public thinks that plant-based diets are expensive? Do they think that we live on goji berries and other high-priced specialty foods? There's nothing cheaper than beans, rice, and green vegetables - especially if you shop at your local Asian or Hispanic market. Vitamin B12 supplements are also dirt-cheap.
I think that's exactly it. And the reason that's it, is because if you look up vegan youtubers or bloggers a lot of the most visible or prominent sites are promoting not just a wholefoods diet but 'superfoods' and raw foods. Some of these popular figures are somewhat out of the loop when it comes to understanding what it means to be on a restricted budget. Fully Raw Kristina (approaching a million subscribers) for example did a whole video on how to eat raw on a budget, a budget of $300 a week, for one person. I think that right there is why the public thinks plant-based diets are expensive. I call this stuff 'aspirational voyeurism', people with glowing faces and skinny bodies living in gorgeous tropical settings, selling books and dvds on the back of what is essentially an unattainable fantasy life for the vast majority of people.

ashleycharters likes this.
Spudulika is offline  
#9 Old 02-26-2017, 09:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15
I also think for newbies like me it is sometimes hard to break out of the "old habits" of food prep and consumption. And what I mean by that is: growing up, meals consisted of a meat, starch, and veggie. And that's the way I've continued to plan meals throughout my adult life. So when transitioning to veg*nism my first instincts for meals were: frozen veggie meat substitute, starch, and veggie. I've only recently been learning and experimenting more and not buying Gardein crispy tenders by the case :-). And depending on where you live (and if they are on sale) the processed veggie meat substitutes can get a little expensive. I recently moved to a different city (same state even) that does not have nearly the amount of veg*n friendly stores as where I was living before, and I was kind of appalled at the price of the frozen food when I peeked at them the other day.
jaskins likes this.
ashleycharters is offline  
#10 Old 02-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Fully Raw Kristina (approaching a million subscribers) for example did a whole video on how to eat raw on a budget, a budget of $300 a week, for one person.
Oh geeze, that really is quite ridiculous for us "broke folks" who live paycheck to paycheck. No wonder people are getting the wrong ideas.
Sidhuriel likes this.
ashleycharters is offline  
#11 Old 02-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular
 
jaskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleycharters View Post
I also think for newbies like me it is sometimes hard to break out of the "old habits" of food prep and consumption. And what I mean by that is: growing up, meals consisted of a meat, starch, and veggie. And that's the way I've continued to plan meals throughout my adult life. So when transitioning to veg*nism my first instincts for meals were: frozen veggie meat substitute, starch, and veggie. I've only recently been learning and experimenting more and not buying Gardein crispy tenders by the case :-). And depending on where you live (and if they are on sale) the processed veggie meat substitutes can get a little expensive. I recently moved to a different city (same state even) that does not have nearly the amount of veg*n friendly stores as where I was living before, and I was kind of appalled at the price of the frozen food when I peeked at them the other day.
Completely agree with this! I went to Sprouts last night, after yoga, so I was already hungry (bad idea) and LOADED up my cart with Gardein, Boca burgers, seitan, tempeh bacon, tofurky slices, Daiya/Follow Your Heart cheezes, etc etc, and about died at the total when I got to the register I am really excited to try everything to see which convenience foods I like, but they are definitely going to be special occasion treats/for nights when I am too tired and lazy to cook. Going to immerse myself in the world of beans, and come up with some recipes that won't break the bank.

Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched. -Mindy Kaling
jaskins is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off