How to keep a house clean - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you good at it? Is your house or apartment always spotless? If it is, please share your favorite tips and techniques, or book(s) on the subject.

I could use a little help.

I think that I'd be more motivated to clean, if I thought I was doing it as efficiently as possible.

Someone tell me what to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

My house isn't spotless, but it's clean. We just take care of things as they come up, if there is a mess, we clean it that second, therefore things don't pile up. If you keep up on the little things, cleaning the house pretty much then just amounts to cleaning the bathroom and vacuuming the floors =/

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 10-05-2011, 01:14 PM

I used the FlyLady.com when I worked outside the home. She really helps by starting small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I clean at least a little every day to keep the basics covered and then do big cleaning* once a week and super big* before major holidays. That way, the house always looks presentable in case anyone shows up and looks sparkly for big holiday gatherings. I do almost all of the cleaning when nobody else is around to cut down on distractions. Plus, I get all warm and fuzzy being able to welcome people into rooms that are picture perfect.

*Big Cleaning- Floors, towels, linens, bathrooms, dusting, windows & mirrors
*Super Big- Big Cleaning + baseboards, window treatments, decorating, and scrubbing down all the little nooks and crannies.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#5 Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Bird View Post

I clean at least a little every day to keep the basics covered and then do big cleaning* once a week and super big* before major holidays. That way, the house always looks presentable in case anyone shows up and looks sparkly for big holiday gatherings. I do almost all of the cleaning when nobody else is around to cut down on distractions. Plus, I get all warm and fuzzy being able to welcome people into rooms that are picture perfect.

*Big Cleaning- Floors, towels, linens, bathrooms, dusting, windows & mirrors
*Super Big- Big Cleaning + baseboards, window treatments, decorating, and scrubbing down all the little nooks and crannies.

You actually clean your baseboards?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

You actually clean your baseboards?

Yes. They don't need it that often, but when they do I'll grab a rag and scrub 'em down. If they were stained wood/unpainted then it may not matter so much, but with white baseboards dirt tends to show, which bugs me.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#7 Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 PM

Lots of plastic lining.

"You know, at one time, I used to break into pet shops to liberate the canaries. But I decided that was an idea way before its time. Zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... oh my, how the world still dearly loves a cage."
#8 Old 10-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

1. Put on high heels
2. Round up boyfriend
4. Clean house!

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#9 Old 10-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Are you good at it? Is your house or apartment always spotless? If it is, please share your favorite tips and techniques, or book(s) on the subject.

I could use a little help.

I think that I'd be more motivated to clean, if I thought I was doing it as efficiently as possible.

I have a daily, weekly and monthly plan. Daily is stuff like washing/ironing, clean kitchen floor, clean bathrooms, clear clutter etc. Then I have certain tasks on the same day every week, such as washing all towels, washing bed linen etc. The monthly plan breaks down into 4 separate weeks, where I do a thorough clean of 2/3 rooms every week, so that every month, ever part of the house has had a deep clean.

Not saying that I stick to it though
#10 Old 10-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

routines are key

like doing the dishes everyday, emptying the trash everyday, vacuuming/sweeping everyday

dusting, mopping floor, cleaning toilets, showers, sinks once or twice a week (depending on use, big families need more often)

washing linens, curtains, vacuuming underneath furniture, every other week

deep cleaning once a month
#11 Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Ankle Biter

Daily I try to keep the clutter to a minimum: the mail is sorted, the paper recycled, the dish drainer emptied, shoes put away in the closet, clothes put away, laundry as needed and anything out of place put back into place.

When it's needed (usually once or twice a week) I vacuum the main living areas, clean the kitchen counters/stove top, clean the storm door, sweep the front steps and sidewalk, run the dishwasher, take out trash and clean bathroom counters.

Weekly/bi-weekly I wash all the linens, wash or vacuum dog beds, thoroughly clean kitchen and bathrooms, dust, thoroughly vacuum - includes baseboards and ceilings, and dust the blinds.

Monthly - Have anything to do with the front "formal" rooms - what a pain, we're never in in them.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#12 Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Have all the kids move out and go to college. Our house has never been cleaner.
#13 Old 10-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Have all the kids move out and go to college. Our house has never been cleaner.

Oh yes! It's amazing how little cleaning needs to be done when they are not around. I've got rid of one, and I'm working hard on the other two
#14 Old 10-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I use the same method for myself as I do my 2 teens...I have a daily chore chart that I keep on the side of the fridge.
I'm of the mindset that doing a little everyday is better than having an all day cleaning session over the weekend, plus who wants to use weekend time to clean house? Blech, not me...lol.

A couple things that I do every day:
A load of laundry, clean the kitchen and sweep the kitchen floor.
I always do a 10 minute pick-up before bedtime of anything that needs put away.

I clean bathrooms one day a week and vacuum the whole entire house twice weekly. Mopping I I try to fit in at least once a week.

I will admit that some days are "Better than it was" days. If I get dinner cooked & the kitchen cleaned I've learned to be happy, even if maybe I didn't get around to sweeping that day.

I've also noticed that a decluttered home is sooo much easier to care for than one that has piles/boxes sitting everywhere. So I keep things as minimilistic as possible...I don't like to dust so I don't keep alot of things sitting around that need to be moved and dusted.
This way I only have to do it a couple times a month and it's sooo much quicker to dust off an empty shelf than taking the time to move things around.

You just have to experiment and see what works for you & tweak it to suit your lifestyle.
#15 Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to put things away once I'm done with them. I try to put dirty dishes in the dishwasher when I'm done with them, that way when it's full I can just run it. I hate having a messy kitchen, but ours are kinda small so it gets that way.

I don't vacuum as often as I should, but with me in school and hubby working, the house gets kind of a mess sometimes.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#16 Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Just wanted to second flylady. The beginners babysteps teach you to do a little more each day and develop routines that help you keep things tidy during your normal days. I got started using her stuff years ago (although stay away from the emails!!) and still do my routines.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#17 Old 10-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Shoot the kids.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page