post your dirt-cheap vegan recipes here - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I was debating whether to post them here or on the recipe board, but it seems to make more sense here because it's about frugal ideas backed up with recipes. Post your ideas on how to eat cheap and include recipes too if you want. Lately I've found it's WAY cheaper to buy dried beans and then soak them than to buy canned. The markup on canned beans is something like 400 percent. You pay a lot more for that convenience. I'll soak beans overnight and then vacuum seal the extras in Food Saver bags and freeze them for later use. I'll soak and then cook a bunch of them the next day in the crock pot, usually with some seasoning. I've done pinto beans with a teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of salt. One friend of mine told me not to put the salt in until the very end, but I've had good luck with putting it in right away. I'll also throw in a chopped up onion, which is cheap too. The ingredients for most Mexican food is also cheap.

Here are some of my cheapie recipes.

Sir-Fried Potatoes
(Cheap, but not as healthy as many vegan recipes.)

ingredients are just potatoes, a large onion, oil (such as olive oil), salt, and pepper. The number of potatoes used is flexible, but I usually use about 5. Just saute the onion in the oil and then add the chopped up potatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook till tender. Tasty, not as healthy because of the oil and salt.

Mexican Rice and Beans

All these ingredients are cheap. As I said before, the beans will be way, way cheaper if you soak dried beans first.

1 onion, chopped
4 tbs cooking sherry (I used to use olive oil, but changed it to this to make it healthier.)
2 15 oz cans of kidney beans (orig recipe calls for canned, but just soak roughly this amount of dried beans overnight and use them. You have flexibility in the amount used.)
1 15 oz can of pinto beans (see above)
1 1/2 cups of cooked rice
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp of chili powder
2 cloves of garlic
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
6 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

Sauté the onions in the sherry until they're translucent. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5-10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except the rice. Stir fry the remaining ingredients until the bell peppers are tender (about 40 to 45 min). Serve over rice. This recipe could also be done in the crock pot minus the cooking sherry. Then it would be cheaper because you wouldn't need to buy the sherry.

Here's another cheap one:
CHICKPEA AND POTATO CURRY

p 1 can chickpeas, drained (Again, use dried chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans, soaked overnight instead to make it cheaper.)
p Carrots (about a cup) cut up
p 2 Potatoes (about a cup) diced
p 1 can crushed tomatoes
p 1 cube veggie bullion
p 1/2 cup scallions (aka green onions), chopped
p 2 tsp curry powder (1 tsp for not as spicy)
p 1/4 tsp nutmeg
p salt & pepper to taste (optional)
p cooked rice

In a large skillet combine the above ingredients, except the rice. Cover and cook until the carrots are done. Add a little water if it is getting too dry. Serve over rice.

Optional: This can be done in a crock pot on low heat all day. You just need to mince the veggie bullion cube into a fine powder and mix it in.

To keep things dirt cheap, I'll often buy a bunch of potatoes and make the above recipe and also the stir-fried potatoes in another pan to stock up on two tasty dishes.

I've also invested in a Food Saver. It's saved me bucks big time because I'll cook a bunch of food and then vacuum-save serving sized portions in plastic bags and freeze them. Then I'm stocked up with frozen meals that I'll thaw out and eat instead of resorting to eating out.

Okay, your turn. Post your eat cheap ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this is a great idea.

The above recipes look goooood.

Pasta with cooked frozen mixed vegetables, olive oil, italian seasoning, and garlic salt. (Since I am not vegan, I also put on a bit of parmeasan cheese.)

Fast, easy, and cheap.
#3 Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's the only entree I've ever came up with and can make AND eat without screwing it up. I call it....

Vegan chili that looks like dog food but tastes good

Ingredients:

-1 can lard-free refried beans
-1 can enchilada sauce
-1 package of Boca crumbles (or two patties chopped up up)

Directions:

Throw it all in a pot, heat n serve. You could probably throw in some canned veggies (diced tomatoes and/or corn) to make it a bit healthier.

If you have a good stick blender or food processor, making hummus is easy too (chickpeas, tahini, water, EVOO +/- garlic, basil, or other spices).

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post

I was debating whether to post them here or on the recipe board, but it seems to make more sense here because it's about frugal ideas backed up with recipes. Post your ideas on how to eat cheap and include recipes too if you want. Lately I've found it's WAY cheaper to buy dried beans and then soak them than to buy canned. The markup on canned beans is something like 400 percent. You pay a lot more for that convenience. I'll soak beans overnight and then vacuum seal the extras in Food Saver bags and freeze them for later use. I'll soak and then cook a bunch of them the next day in the crock pot, usually with some seasoning. I've done pinto beans with a teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of salt. One friend of mine told me not to put the salt in until the very end, but I've had good luck with putting it in right away. I'll also throw in a chopped up onion, which is cheap too. The ingredients for most Mexican food is also cheap.

Here are some of my cheapie recipes.

Sir-Fried Potatoes
(Cheap, but not as healthy as many vegan recipes.)

ingredients are just potatoes, a large onion, oil (such as olive oil), salt, and pepper. The number of potatoes used is flexible, but I usually use about 5. Just saute the onion in the oil and then add the chopped up potatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook till tender. Tasty, not as healthy because of the oil and salt.

Mexican Rice and Beans

All these ingredients are cheap. As I said before, the beans will be way, way cheaper if you soak dried beans first.

1 onion, chopped
4 tbs cooking sherry (I used to use olive oil, but changed it to this to make it healthier.)
2 15 oz cans of kidney beans (orig recipe calls for canned, but just soak roughly this amount of dried beans overnight and use them. You have flexibility in the amount used.)
1 15 oz can of pinto beans (see above)
1 1/2 cups of cooked rice
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp of chili powder
2 cloves of garlic
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
6 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

Sauté the onions in the sherry until they're translucent. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5-10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except the rice. Stir fry the remaining ingredients until the bell peppers are tender (about 40 to 45 min). Serve over rice. This recipe could also be done in the crock pot minus the cooking sherry. Then it would be cheaper because you wouldn't need to buy the sherry.

Here's another cheap one:
CHICKPEA AND POTATO CURRY

p 1 can chickpeas, drained (Again, use dried chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans, soaked overnight instead to make it cheaper.)
p Carrots (about a cup) cut up
p 2 Potatoes (about a cup) diced
p 1 can crushed tomatoes
p 1 cube veggie bullion
p 1/2 cup scallions (aka green onions), chopped
p 2 tsp curry powder (1 tsp for not as spicy)
p 1/4 tsp nutmeg
p salt & pepper to taste (optional)
p cooked rice

In a large skillet combine the above ingredients, except the rice. Cover and cook until the carrots are done. Add a little water if it is getting too dry. Serve over rice.

Optional: This can be done in a crock pot on low heat all day. You just need to mince the veggie bullion cube into a fine powder and mix it in.

To keep things dirt cheap, I'll often buy a bunch of potatoes and make the above recipe and also the stir-fried potatoes in another pan to stock up on two tasty dishes.

I've also invested in a Food Saver. It's saved me bucks big time because I'll cook a bunch of food and then vacuum-save serving sized portions in plastic bags and freeze them. Then I'm stocked up with frozen meals that I'll thaw out and eat instead of resorting to eating out.

Okay, your turn. Post your eat cheap ideas.

very nice. what i am often doing is making brown rice (8 mins in the microwaver) and heating a bag of fresh veggie stir fry (publix sells this in the produce section) for 4 mins in the microwave. you just heat it in the bag it comes in. probably this costs about 3.50 for a meal. seasoning with benson's table tasty, so there is no sodium at all. very tasty, and you can absolutely pig out on this without any worries . i make the rice in one of the nordicware microwave pots, then add the veggies after they're done. clean up is a snap, and if it's just me, i'll eat it out of the pot, so cleanup is one pot and a fork .
#5 Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

I keep canned beans on hand, but 95% of the time use dry.
2 cups dry chickpeas make about 5 cups cooked. After a days, or nights, soak, grind some for falafel. Another cup for hummos. Roast in a 400F. oven for about 45 min. for a snack. No oil, oil makes them tough. The rest are either eaten in salads, curries, or by themselves.
Vegan food formula--
grain+veg+bean
When I cook beans for soups or stews, after rinsing I cover by three inches, cook an hour, add chopped vegetables. Only when it's cooked do I add tomatoes. Most recipes call for using rinsed beans but their cooking water is thick and add flavor.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Cheap 'n' Easy Chilli

Dry Soy Mince (about £1.50 for a big bag which will make 4x it's weight)
Tinned Chopped Tomatoes* (33p-£1)
Chillies (Get them cheap for 30p in the clearance aisle and then dry them for later!)
Kidney beans (33p-£1)
Onions (easily dumpstered/£1 for big bag)

Recipe;
Soak mince until right texture is acheived. Add 1 tin tomatoes per two cups or so of dry mince (or figure out as you go along if it doesn't look right). Add 1 tin Kidney beans for every two tins of tomatoes (or to taste). One/two onions for every tin kidney beans. Add chillies to taste (I usually get birdseye chillies, which work out at 1 per two tins of tomatoes) Add whatever other dumpstered veg you have!

Make in HUGE POT. Use like 6 tins of tomatoes, and you have meals on the freezer for two weeks easily, all for around £5!

As far as I understand this will be cheaper in America too, since UK food prices are painfully high.

*Or skinned plum tomatoes, which are SUPER fun to squish between your hands rather than chopping up!

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#7 Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm going to try your cheapie chili, Kappa. "Tinned tomatoes" is UK English for "canned tomatoes," right? I have a lot of recipes that use a 28-ounce can of tomatoes. Is that about right? I'm not sure if they're still using ounces in the UK. In case they're not 28 ounces are about 800 grams.
#8 Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think I'm going to try your cheapie chili, Kappa. "Tinned tomatoes" is UK English for "canned tomatoes," right? I have a lot of recipes that use a 28-ounce can of tomatoes. Is that about right? I'm not sure if they're still using ounces in the UK. In case they're not 28 ounces are about 800 grams.

Yea, tinned is canned. I use the 400gram cans in that recipe, but really it's all to taste. It made me so much chilli that I was getting si... nah I couldn't get sick of chilli.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#9 Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Are they completely metric in the UK now? I haven't been there since 1988. At the time it was a mix of metric and the old system.

Anyway, I made my Chickpea and Potato Curry last night and took a picture:

#10 Old 04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Banned

i am rapidly becoming a fan of prepackaged greens and veggies. today in walmare i got small sealed bags of cut and mixed salad for $1.00 each. it's not just about cost, it's also about time because time is also money.
#11 Old 04-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Are they completely metric in the UK now? I haven't been there since 1988. At the time it was a mix of metric and the old system.

Yup we're totally metric but for a few older people that still think in imperial measurements.

#12 Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Porco Rosso:
Rice (50p a kilo, recipe uses a tiny amount of that, so about 5p per serving)
1/2 jar of asda smart price bolognese sauce (34p a jar, 17p per serving)
2-3 vegan sausages (£1 a box, 50p a serving)
tortilla chips (25p a bag, eat as many as you like)

Cook sausages in oven/on grill. Cook rice. Heat bolognese sauce. Chop up sausages and add to sauce. Stir. Serve up rice with sausage/sauce mix on top, with tortilla chips on the side.

Less than £1 per person. It's dirt cheap. The cheaper the bolognese sauce is, the better, because it ends up being thicker and smoother, and going really well with the rice, as opposed to a more expensive one with chunks and things. And it only takes about 15 mins to do everything. Not the healthiest of things, but still, awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

Yup we're totally metric but for a few older people that still think in imperial measurements.

Older people, and this 20 year old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 04-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Older people, and this 20 year old

Maybe it's something to do with my living in Northern Ireland... new teaching styles tend to be tested out there first D:

#15 Old 04-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Take two slices of your favorite bread, put mustard and ketchup on one side and then smash together for a sandwich.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#16 Old 04-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Take two slices of your favorite bread, put mustard and ketchup on one side and then smash together for a sandwich.

Geez... you could at least throw some potato chips/crisps in there or something!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#17 Old 04-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Not really a recipe, but it turns one can of soup into a meal for the whole family, or several days worth of food for a single person. Surprisingly low calorie and very filling.

You need:
1 can of soup (whatever had a discount sticker on it, or make your own soup)
1 box of Bisquick.

On the side of the Bisquick box, there are further directions for making "dumplings." I'm not sure what a dumpling is, and I don't put tiny spoonfuls of this stuff into soup either. Follow those directions, but instead dollop big blobs of this mix into the simmering soup, cover and let simmer for about a half hour. Each big wad of dough is now a big biscuit. (The soup doesn't soak into them...odd...)

Serve is one biscuit wad in each bowl with the soup poured over.

It is SO filling!

...gravity.

#18 Old 04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Anyway, I made my Chickpea and Potato Curry last night and took a picture:

My mama has those platters. You are bringing it back old school. NICE.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#19 Old 04-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat a lot of bean salad:

red and dark red kidney beans (rinsed), red onion, green pepper, green olives, sun dried tomatoes (I use the oil the are packed in as a marinade for the salad), artichoke hearts, parsley, and a little balsamic. You can throw in some whole wheat pasta too and make it a more filling real meal. I make a huge batch and usually have it for lunch.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#20 Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Geez... you could at least throw some potato chips/crisps in there or something!

Potato chip sandwiches!!
#21 Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Banned

Take 1 pack of Nissin's Top Ramen Oriental Flavor and add 3 cups of water and bring to a slow boil.

Total cost: about a quarter.
#22 Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Not really a recipe, but it turns one can of soup into a meal for the whole family, or several days worth of food for a single person. Surprisingly low calorie and very filling.

You need:
1 can of soup (whatever had a discount sticker on it, or make your own soup)
1 box of Bisquick.

On the side of the Bisquick box, there are further directions for making "dumplings." I'm not sure what a dumpling is, and I don't put tiny spoonfuls of this stuff into soup either. Follow those directions, but instead dollop big blobs of this mix into the simmering soup, cover and let simmer for about a half hour. Each big wad of dough is now a big biscuit. (The soup doesn't soak into them...odd...)

Serve is one biscuit wad in each bowl with the soup poured over.

It is SO filling!

That's pretty much what a dumpling is... a doughball type thing cooked in soups/stews.

And OMG I love crisp sandwiches. I need to buy some crisps so I can make these.

#23 Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

pinto or black beans, brown rice, nonfat tortillas (2 large ones). lay the tortillas on the plate, then top them with beans & rice mix (i use benson's table tasty to season). heat in the microwave with a sprinkle of daiya chese. cut up tomato, onion, green pepper, use generous amounts, then top the whole thing with salsa, eat with fork. cheap and tastes wonderful. the tortillas underneath are perfectly moist.
#24 Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

another favorite is lifelight smart dogs, on whole wheat bun, sprinkle of daiya cheese, top with kraut, onions, mustard, tomatoes, hot peppers and celery salt. the best hot dog i've ever eaten.
#25 Old 04-27-2011, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

That's pretty much what a dumpling is... a doughball type thing cooked in soups/stews.

And OMG I love crisp sandwiches. I need to buy some crisps so I can make these.

They're so unlike the "chicken & dumplings soup" I used to be served as a child! I thought for sure I wasn't making them right. I prefer the giant biscuit thing instead. I usually add something to the Bisquick mix like black pepper, rosemary, Emeril's Essence, thyme, depending on the kind of soup. It's a surprisingly low calorie, and cheap, addition that turns a small amount of soup into a very filling meal that "sticks to your ribs."

...gravity.

#26 Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

papayamon, "walmare" made me laugh!

Is Bisquick vegan?! That dumpling thing would be good with summer coming up. Except for a rare pizza attack, I don't use the oven in the summer.
#27 Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

papayamon, "walmare" made me laugh!

Is Bisquick vegan?! That dumpling thing would be good with summer coming up. Except for a rare pizza attack, I don't use the oven in the summer.

The boxes I buy here in the USA don't have anything alarming to me in the ingredients. Always double-check for yourself.

...gravity.

#28 Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned

If I'm very broke, I'll simply boil a bag of brown rice, add a can or 2 of black beans and/or chickpeas, and add seasoning to taste.
#29 Old 05-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

When I was super super broke I used to live on soup, cheapest thing ever.

At Safeway here we can get no name bags of "alphabet soup" mix that just have lentils, barely, semolina noodles, split peas, etc. One bag costs $1.49 and after soaking and boiling for 2 hours it makes a giant pot of soup. Throw in a few potatoes, carrots, onion and a veg bouillon cube and you have enough food to eat for a week for under 5 bucks. Poverty FTW!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#30 Old 05-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I've never done that but I'm not going to lie, I've eaten a few lettuce, vegenaise and ketchup sandwiches in my day...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page