Turn off TV and Save money? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

United Sates viewers are exposed to over 50,000 commercials per year You sometimes might be able to withstand the onslaught of advertisements, but your children can't!

Advertising industry calls it the "Nag Factor".

Marketers specifically target children (who can't tell fact from fiction from cheap advertising) to get them to nag parents incessantly for their products. If you don't have kids yourself, you've probably at least witnessed the "nag factor" at work at your local store. How much is the "nag factor" worth?

The "NAG FACTOR" INFLUENCES $300 BILLION IN SALES PER YEAR!!

That amounts to over $4,000 per pestering child per year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess besides saving money, my cancelling cable is great for my kids. Not that they were allowed to watch much anyways.

The Big Bad.
#3 Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

And here I assumed that this thread would be about the energy the TV draws. It is pretty remarkable the psychological studies they have done in the name of marketing to get you to buy products. Look at the quasi-pop culture icon Billy Mays who's still selling products after his death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 PM

You save a lot more money by not having kids.
#5 Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post

good call. on my way to off them.

The Big Bad.
#6 Old 10-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll never forget the horror of my boyfriend's nephew when he learned about my no-nagging policy.

"Why can't we go skating today!!!! COME ON!!!" x10000

"If I hear this one more time, no one is going skating and we're going to the soup kitchen to help the poor."

"I wanna go ska-" (suddenly stops as I grab canned goods from the cupboard)

"-Fine, we'll go tomorrow...."

and they wonder why his nephews listen to me so well!!!!
#7 Old 10-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

HA! That made me laugh out loud unovegan!
#8 Old 10-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato View Post

HA! That made me laugh out loud unovegan!

you can laugh, but listen for the news in durango, Colorado. I take what you guys say seriously!

The Big Bad.
#9 Old 10-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

I'll never forget the horror of my boyfriend's nephew when he learned about my no-nagging policy.

"If I hear this one more time, no one is going skating and we're going to the soup kitchen to help the poor."

Awww, why is charity work used as a punishment? That seems so sad... I would have been stoked to do that as a kid. We did all kinds of volunteer work... It was a reward, not a threat!
#10 Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

The only thing I would ever be pressured to buy is a t-shirt that says, "Kill Your Television."

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#11 Old 10-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I bet you were a very good dominatrix
#12 Old 10-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Or be a good parent and just say no.
#13 Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Totally....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

OMG.....LOL.....Great Comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori~CL View Post

Or be a good parent and just say no.

Yuppers
#14 Old 10-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Getting rid of the TV doesn't just save you money....it saves you time. Seriously, since I went tv-free, I suddenly gained more hours in the day and in the night. It also greatly lowers the fear factor--no, not the show. The media is obsessed with making us afraid. I'm a much happier and calmer person now that I'm not exposing myself to their crap. Chucking the TV is a complete win-win-win situation.
#15 Old 10-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

Adverts that encourage children to nag their parents are illegal here. So are adverts that suggest to children they will be less popular or somehow less than their peers if they don't have a certain product.
#16 Old 10-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

DMZdogs -- I agree with the being less afraid bit.

Television news tends to be pure scaremongering.
#17 Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

Adverts that encourage children to nag their parents are illegal here. So are adverts that suggest to children they will be less popular or somehow less than their peers if they don't have a certain product.

At risk of sounding like an idiot, how do they advertise to children if the two main ways to advertise to children are not allowed?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#18 Old 10-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Are you my mother by any chance?

Me as a kid: But muuu-uuum... I want the lollies with the red food colouring.

Mum: No, you can have these lollies instead. They don't have as much garbage in them and you've liked them before.

Me as a kid: But muu--uuuuuuuum!!!!! (x10)

Mum: Ask again and these lollies in the shopping basket go right back on the shelf.

Me as a kid: But muuu-uuumm... everyone eats the red lollies, NOT those ones!

Mum: *puts other lollies back on shelf. keeps shopping. me-as-a-kid learns to whinge*

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#19 Old 10-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

At risk of sounding like an idiot, how do they advertise to children if the two main ways to advertise to children are not allowed?

I was wondering the same thing. I think it's a cool idea but I'm confused by how they actually go about doing that.
#20 Old 10-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

Billy Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Me as a kid: But muuu-uuumm... everyone eats the red lollies, NOT those ones!

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#21 Old 10-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quote:

They can't have something in the advert like "tell mum you've GOT to have the XYZ toy this Christmas!" or "all the coolest kids have the XYZ toy!". They can show the product and what it does, and show children in the advert playing with it and having fun. It's then up to the child if they decide they really want it and want to nag their parents - the advert can't explicitly tell them to do it.

They can also flip it round and suggest to the parents that they will be depriving their child if they don't buy them the toy, but I don't often see that used.
#22 Old 10-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah, ok. Thanks. (Man, I must've been the biggest dork as a child. I never nagged my parents for anything that I remember).

#23 Old 10-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurity View Post

you save a lot more money by not having kids.

#24 Old 10-30-2009, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ah, ok. Thanks. (Man, I must've been the biggest dork as a child. I never nagged my parents for anything that I remember).

Dork? I'm sure you were every parent's "ideal child" if you never nagged for anything.
#25 Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I love not having TV. I have access to any shows I might still miss online (not many, though) and I rent movies. I have so much more time now, and feel less pressure to be something Im not or buy things I dont want.

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#26 Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Why would you feel pressure to buy something if you don't want it?
#27 Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Why would you feel pressure to buy something if you don't want it?

It happens all of the time. Advertisers know how to make you buy stuff you don't want. They've been doing it for years.

A very simple example is many years ago tobacco companies paid an advertising firm to find a way to get women to start smoking. At the time, smoking was almost exclusively a male pursuit and tobacco companies wanted to expand their market share to include women to increase profits.

The advertising firm quite simply hired a bunch of out of work glamour models and actresses to stage a fake protest in New York demanding the 'right for women to smoke in public'. of course the advertising firm first called every newspaper in town to alert them of the 'protest'. Within days, every newspaper in the USA had photos of pretty girls smoking in public and within days women all over the country took up smoking in order to look as glamorous as those ladies in the newspaper did. It works.

Right now Americans buy bottled water. Not just natural springs water but bottled tap water. People now gladly buy what they can get for free out of their tap. This was done via advertising.

There are many many more examples.
#28 Old 11-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Dork? I'm sure you were every parent's "ideal child" if you never nagged for anything.

Actually, I do remember asking for a lot of books and cassettes and CDs as a child and teenager.

#29 Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

It happens all of the time. Advertisers know how to make you buy stuff you don't want. They've been doing it for years.

A very simple example is many years ago tobacco companies paid an advertising firm to find a way to get women to start smoking. At the time, smoking was almost exclusively a male pursuit and tobacco companies wanted to expand their market share to include women to increase profits.

The advertising firm quite simply hired a bunch of out of work glamour models and actresses to stage a fake protest in New York demanding the 'right for women to smoke in public'. of course the advertising firm first called every newspaper in town to alert them of the 'protest'. Within days, every newspaper in the USA had photos of pretty girls smoking in public and within days women all over the country took up smoking in order to look as glamorous as those ladies in the newspaper did. It works.

Right now Americans buy bottled water. Not just natural springs water but bottled tap water. People now gladly buy what they can get for free out of their tap. This was done via advertising.

There are many many more examples.

They wanted the cigarettes. I don't want one and nothing could make me buy one. Advertisements can convince you to try their brand of something you wanted anyways.

I used to drink bottled water because I lived in an area that had disgusting tap water. Free is not always better.
#30 Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

When I was little, there was only one toy from one commercial that I ever asked for. Everything else (Barbies, Diva Starz, Polly Pockets, Betty Spaghetti, What's Her Face, on and on and on...) were just because my family saw them and thought I would like them.

Anyways, it was the original "Baby Born". I wanted that baby doll so much. I never got it, though. My mom said it was too expensive then (about $40), and it was sill expensive when my youngest sister got the newer one five-or-so years ago. I still complain about it to this day, though. xD

But I hate advertisements. I ignore them as much as I can. They cn rattle off for 5 minutes, every 10 minutes and I'll just block them out. I'm not going to buy anything from them. Especially since I'm vegan now, there's a lot more things I will refuse to buy than when I was a vegetarian.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page