Category: Soups

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet

Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Serves: Makes about 4 servings of 1 cup each

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

2 11.5 oz cans of tomato juice

1 small/medium white onion

1 1/2 cups Morningstar Farms Grillers crumbles (you can use another brand, like Quorn's, but MF's are vegan)

1/2 can drained kidney beans

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tbsp chili powder

Instructions:

Dice onion and drain kidney beans. Combine everything in a metal saucepan, cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.

Additional comments:

This is our family recipe, veganized!

We used to brown the crumbles before throwing them in the pot, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Feel free to do it if you'd like, though. Just be sure not to burn them!

This chili isn't spicy, it's more on the sweet side, so if you like heat, you're going to want to add in some extra spice (cayenne, jalapenos, etc.).

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I never thought about putting brown sugar in chili. I've never had a sweeter type chili, I'll have to try it. I usually add a lot more spices and garlic. I know what you mean about the crumbles... if you over cook them in a skillet they get chewy-ish. I usually just warm them in the microwave and add them to the brew.
#3 Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure who came up with the idea, but we've been putting brown sugar in ours for as long as I can remember. I'm not normally a huge chili fan, but I love it this way. It has the smoky, mildly spicy chili taste but the brown sugar mellows it out and works really well with the beans and onions for some reason.

Hopefully you like it! I haven't come across anyone who's eaten it at our house (the original version with real meat, anyway) that didn't, so fingers crossed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

This recipe looks so delicious - and I was just looking for a new chili recipe...Thanks, I'm definitely going to try it out!

This may sound like an odd question, but how do you guys present your chili?

I'm not sure if you have ever thought about (I hadn't really), but I just read an interesting way in the Sept. issue of Fitness - Line a cupcake pan with wonton wrappers, spray them with cooking spray and bake for 5 min - then fill them up with chili! I thought it sounded like a cool and creative way to eat chili!
#5 Old 09-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojie View Post

I'm not sure who came up with the idea, but we've been putting brown sugar in ours for as long as I can remember. I'm not normally a huge chili fan, but I love it this way. It has the smoky, mildly spicy chili taste but the brown sugar mellows it out and works really well with the beans and onions for some reason.

Hopefully you like it! I haven't come across anyone who's eaten it at our house (the original version with real meat, anyway) that didn't, so fingers crossed!

I was wondering about brown sugar in chili, too, but I've sort of gotten into a rut with my chili making and was looking for a different twist. I tried a veganized recipe for a Brazilian dish based on black beans called "feijoada" which called for an orange, and it was surprizingly good.

Could the sugar be added to a small portion after cooking? I'd hate to wreck a whole pot of chili...

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#6 Old 09-10-2009, 07:46 AM

I would never think to put brown sugar in chilli either. Sounds good though, I do love my chilli.
#7 Old 09-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlia View Post

This may sound like an odd question, but how do you guys present your chili?

I'm not sure if you have ever thought about (I hadn't really), but I just read an interesting way in the Sept. issue of Fitness - Line a cupcake pan with wonton wrappers, spray them with cooking spray and bake for 5 min - then fill them up with chili! I thought it sounded like a cool and creative way to eat chili!

I've never thought about it. Around here, it's just a matter of putting it in a bowl, adding crackers if you want them and eating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I was wondering about brown sugar in chili, too, but I've sort of gotten into a rut with my chili making and was looking for a different twist. I tried a veganized recipe for a Brazilian dish based on black beans called "feijoada" which called for an orange, and it was surprizingly good.

Could the sugar be added to a small portion after cooking? I'd hate to wreck a whole pot of chili...

I imagine you could add the sugar afterwards. We don't always measure what goes into it, so sometimes it needs more sugar added and it always turns out fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

I would never think to put brown sugar in chilli either. Sounds good though, I do love my chilli.

It is kind of strange, isn't it? I never really thought about it before people started pointing out that it was unusual (probably since I'm used to the Cincinnati-style chili concept where there's chocolate and cinnamon in it).

I love it, though. I prefer it to "traditional" chili any day. My husband loves it, too, even though he'd never had anything similar until he ate ours.

#8 Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:

It is kind of strange, isn't it? I never really thought about it before people started pointing out that it was unusual (probably since I'm used to the Cincinnati-style chili concept where there's chocolate and cinnamon in it).

You can buy chilli chocolate bars over here in the UK too. I will try the sugar chilli because I am quite fond of mixing sweet and savoury flavours.
#9 Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:

....I never really thought about it before people started pointing out that it was unusual (probably since I'm used to the Cincinnati-style chili concept where there's chocolate and cinnamon in it).

I first heard about Cincinnati chili in a book about bean cookery from my local library. The book wasn't exclusively vegetarian but had a good selection of vegetarian and vegan recipes. I hadn't gotten around to trying Cincinnati chili yet though.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#10 Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I have always put brown sugar in chili! Something about the sweetness cuts the acid-ness of the tomatoes or something..... I think it's just GOOD!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#11 Old 09-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

I have always put brown sugar in chili! Something about the sweetness cuts the acid-ness of the tomatoes or something..... I think it's just GOOD!

It's definitely good.

And I agree, the sugar cuts down on the acidity.

#12 Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Brown sugar in chili? You people are mad! MAD I TELL YOU!

I'm running out to buy some beans and test this immediately.
Tom likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#13 Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Let us know how it goes, Werewolf Girl! Hopefully it's a winner for you, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page