Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2007, 04:24 AM
Beginner

Mega quick and easy Lentil Soup

Category: Soups

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

350g dried lentils (I use split red lentils, but you can use any type).

4 medium sized potatoes

2 medium sized onions

2 medium sized carrots

3 cloves of garlic

sea salt and black ground pepper to taste

Instructions:

1) Rinse lentils and put into a large saucepan.

2) Wash potatoes (peel if necessary, but leave the skin on if possible, especially if the potatoes are organic). Roughly chop and add to pan.

3) Wash and chop the carrots, again don't peel if they're organic (peel if they're not organic though, as carrots hold a high pesticide residue in the skin). Add to pan.

4) Peel and chop the onions and the garlic. Add to pan.

5) Cover with water making sure the veg is well covered (I boil the kettle and add boiling water to speed up the cooking time!). You will probably underestimate how much water is needed, so get ready to top up as the lentils start to swell.

6) Bring to the boil and cook for around half an hour, or until the veg is soft. Stir regularly as the lentils start swelling and want to escape from the pan! Add salt and pepper to taste. You can eat it 'chunky' as it is, or use a hand blender directly in the pan for a smoother consistancy.

Additional comments:

I realise how easy this recipe is, so hope it isn't too simple to add to the list. I thought it would be an ideal recipe for new veg*ns, people who aren't really into spending too long in the kitchen, inexperienced cooks or those on a tight budget (as it's so inexpensive to make!). Despite it's simplicity, it is incredibly tasty and my guests ALWAYS ask for second helpings!!

You can substitute the onions with leeks for a slightly different flavour (equally as good).

Serve with a nice chunk of wholemeal bread.

This soup freezes well, so if you're a single person just freeze in individual portions. This recipe feeds 5 - 6 people.

Enjoy! Mmmmmmmmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

perffffffect! I've been looking for a nice, easy lentil recipe. I'm gonna try it this week
#3 Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

me too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm gonna try this too. I usually make lentil soup in the pressure cooker so that the lentils completely disintegrate, but it's so damn much work. A quickie recipe is really what I need right now. Adding potatoes sounds interesting tooI've never done that before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page