1 14oz can vegetable broth

4-6 cups plain soymilk

1 tbsp onion powder

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, optional

1 tbsp lemon juice, optional

salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:

------------------------------------------------------

1. Cook up the potatoes in whichever way you prefer. I usually microwave them on high for about 20 minutes or until done and then peel them with a paring knife. But you could peel and boil them instead. After potatoes are cooked, mash them with a fork, leaving plenty of lumps.

2. In a 6 quart dutch oven, melt the margarine. Stir in the flour and cook until there are no more lumps and then add the pressed garlic.

3. Add the can of vegetable broth to the pan and stir until there are no lumps. The broth should get pretty thick.

4. Add the potatoes into the pan and stir until the mixture is pretty uniform.

5. Slowly add in the soymilk, while stirring the potato mixture. You can add more or less depending on how thick you want the soup to be.

6. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper, onion powder, and any other spices you want. Bring the soup to a light simmer, stirring often, and the serve. If the soup is too thick, add some more soymilk. Make sure you taste it before you serve.

7. Optional serving suggestions. For a creamier soup, you can use all soymilk and add in some veggie bullion, or you can replace some, or all, of the soymilk with a non-dairy unflavored creamer. For a tangy-er soup, you can add some vegan sour cream and/or some vegan cheddar cheese. Add some crumbled veggie bacon on top and some chopped chives, and you've got a hearty meal.

Additional comments:

------------------------------------------------------

I made this soup because it's been forever since I had a cream of something soup from a family restaurant. You know the kind of places where none of the waitresses are under 30, they serve you a basket of rolls when you sit down, and they don't allow substitutions. This recipe is a dead ringer for a family style cream of potato soup. But it's also really easy to jazz up and make creamier/cheesier if you're missing one of those baked potato soups from a cookie cutter chain restaurant. My omni father loves this soup, sans the cayenne. He couldn't even tell it was vegan, or as he calls it "weird food".

I hope you enjoy it.

~Wondre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good.
#3 Old 12-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

mmmmm I think I will try this soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Just a heads up for anyone who tries this soup, it will put you to sleep about an hour after you eat it. I should call it anesthesia soup. But it's so good.

~Wondre
#5 Old 12-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds wonderful. I think I'll make it for our vegan friends over Christmas break.
#6 Old 12-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I just made this.

I used olive oil(I didn't have any vegan margarine in)and garlic powder. and I didn't really have enough soy milk, I only had about 2 cups. So I used that, and put about one cup plus a bit more of water. And I sprinkled some imitation bacon bits into the bowl.

It was so yummy!! My daughter and I ate the entire pot of soup. I can't wait to try it with the called for ingredients.

Thanks for the recipe!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page