1/2c Quinoa

5c  Vegetable Stock (see recipe below).

1/2 Onion, Chopped

2tbsp Canola Oil

1 Star Anise

2 in Cinnamon Stick

2 tsp Paprika

Salt, Pepper, Thyme and Basil to taste.

Simmer red and indigo lentils in 2c water with a pinch of baking soda until tender. Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a saute pan on med-low heat and add onions, cook stirring occasionally until they caramelize. 

Add cooked lentils in their cooking water and caramelized onions to hot vegetable stock. Add star anise, cinnamon sticks, paprika and seasonings to taste. Heat to boiling, add quinoa and reduce to simmer. Simmer until quinoa is cooked through.

Remove star anise and cinnamon stick before serving!

I like to serve it with a cup of cooked kale. Boil whole kale leaves in unsalted water for 2 minutes or until tender. Rinse under cold water to halt cooking, squeeze out excess water and chop. Press the chopped kale into a measuring cup to form a kale ball and drop on top of the soup (be careful of splashing, indigo lentils will stain your shirt- ask me how I know!).

Vegetable Stock

5c Water

About 4 cups of veggie scraps:

Onion and Garlic peels

Carrot Peels

Celery Tops

Mushroom Stems

Stems from Herbs

Kombu

Not all of these things are needed. Generally, only the celery tops and carrot peels are what are needed for good stock. The other scraps add very good flavor, though, so use them if you have them. Try to get an even mix of celery and carrot scraps for balance. Taste your scraps before you make stock out of them to make sure they will make yummy stock. In particular taste your carrot peels as they are sometimes very bitter.

Simmer (do not boil) scraps in unsalted water (boiling and using salt will draw out the bitter/sulfur-y compounds in the scraps) for about a half hour to an hour. Remove scraps with a slotted or mesh spoon. 

Hooray!

http://holothuroidea0.tumblr.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Ankle Biter

Looks really good - I definitely plan to this soon! And thanks for the veggie broth directions. Lots of people don't realize how easy it is to make a good veggie broth.

Question: do you slice the start anise? (It's that yellow star fruit, right? We don't have them here all year round, I don't think.) eta - oh it's dried! duh! And available year-round!

I have split pea soup in the crock pot now - hoping I'll have power until dinner. If not, I have a gas cooktop that I can use. Are you away from the coast?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM

It took a lot of trial an error for me to make good stock. I kept salting the water while the scraps were still in it and it always turned out gross! I hope someone can benefit from my experience. :)

Star anise is a dried spice available year round. It is a very sweet spice that has a subtle licorice taste. It's amazing with lentils and also basmati rice. I always pair it with cinnamon. :D I just drop the star anise and the cinnamon stick in whole.

We're 20 miles from the coast, so not very far. Things are pretty rough but we still have power and don't have any flooding or downed trees yet. We're hunkered down in the basement (we have 9 very old trees within 10 feet of our house). I only go up to cook on our stove top. We have about a million jars of filtered water stored up.

One thing that's great about being vegan is that I already know how to cook complete meals without using perishable food, and all the food in our fridge are veggies that will be safe for a long time after the power goes out, and our "milk" supply is in aseptic boxes. :D

http://holothuroidea0.tumblr.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I hadn't heard of French Indigo lentils before and I had to look it up, very interesting! I'm sure I've seen them around and just not noticed them, I'll have to check next time I go shopping. I'll have to buy some star anise too, this recipe sounds tasty! lick.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page