VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Soups (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/54-soups/)
-   -   Vegan Immunity Soup (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/54-soups/123808-vegan-immunity-soup.html)

ashlend 04-05-2011 01:34 PM

I got this basic idea when I was Googling for soup ideas for vegans who have a cold, but the specific recipe that follows is mine. It's a very garlicky soup with beans and dark greens and just a slight hint of herbs and spices -- you could add more to your taste, but I personally don't like things too heavily seasoned when I'm sick. I make a big pot as a preventative measure and then freeze it in single servings so that I don't have to cook it when I'm not feeling well.

Ingredients:

2 heads (yes, heads!) garlic, smashed, peeled and roughly chopped (no need to mince it too finely)
1 large or 2 small onions, chopped
4 TBL olive oil
1 quart vegetable broth
Dash each of dried basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and red pepper flakes
Canned tomatoes -- I use one 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes. You could use more if you want a more tomato-y soup.
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed
1 bunch dark leafy greens (spinach, collards, kale, etc. -- I prefer kale), rinsed and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Saute the onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes over medium to medium-high heat. Add the garlic and the basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and red pepper flakes and saute for 5-7 minutes more. Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, white beans, salt and pepper and let simmer for just a few minutes. Then add the greens, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until they've cooked down. Serve immediately or refrigerate/freeze for later.

This really makes me feel better. Way better than chicken soup

AeryFairy 04-05-2011 02:49 PM

Thankyou for posting this on a day when I'm ill! Sounds perfect, will have to make up a batch

Werewolf Girl 04-05-2011 07:33 PM

That sounds so good! I'm a huge fan of all things garlicy and beany so I'll definitely be making this, maybe I'll add some of that Siracha Rooster hot sauce in the mix too, it really clears out the sinuses!

Floridaisa 04-05-2011 07:54 PM

mmmm yum! thanks for posting!

silva 04-05-2011 08:13 PM

I'd replace the veg broth for miso!

QiTian 01-29-2012 06:32 PM

This looks delicious - thanks for sharing. I think I will try this next time I'm feeling under the weather!

alfalfa sprout 04-19-2013 07:49 AM

The weather is starting to get really cold here, and I am in the middle of a cold - I will definitely be making this soup over the weekend! Thanks for sharing!!

youssefyb 06-03-2013 05:47 PM

thank you for this recipe it's goood smiley.gif

Manzila 06-10-2013 09:08 AM

Thank you for this post. I'll try it.

lavender phase 01-07-2014 07:58 PM

Thank you for the immunity soup recipe .... I made it tonight sans beans because sometimes beans are a bit harsh on my tummy .... I am also sipping chamomile tea to help smiley.gif

lavender phase 01-07-2014 09:33 PM

Here are a few spices to help this wintery cold season ....
http://www.vooluu.com/sniffles-spices/

Purp 01-07-2014 10:18 PM

Ashlend and Lavender Phase, thanks for both the recipe and the link to the healing herbs. My brother came down with a cold over New Year's, his wife got it the next day, and my BIL got it the day he (and the rest of his family)left for Australia, a 24-hour flight. I see this soup, and various additions to it, in the next few days.

Blue Gingham 12-04-2015 11:32 PM

This is really tasty and also nourishing. I used a bag and a half of spinach instead of kale, two cans of diced tomatoes, and threw in some mushrooms that I needed to use up, but otherwise made it as written.

Tom 12-05-2015 10:43 AM

You had me at "Two heads of garlic". YUM.

(I wonder if this immunity soup works partly by keeping people who might be sick away from you, in addition to boosting your immunity?) :P

MadamSarcastra 12-05-2015 03:05 PM

Wow, this looks similar to the minestrone I just made a ton of, but with fewer ingredients. LOL :p I always use tons of garlic.... plus I added onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, corn, carrots, baby spinach, yellow squash, zucchini, crushed & diced tomatoes, kidney beans, garbonzos, low-salt veggie broth, lots of herbs & spices, including fresh basil.... I made/stored the ditalini pasta separately to avoid mushiness.... but it's all totally vegan if you don't add parmesan! :rockon:

bearplate 12-04-2016 09:00 PM

I currently under the weather. I totally need this right now.