Veggie Regular

Spicy Black Bean Burgers

Category: Sandwiches/Burgers

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian diet

Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

1 15 oz. can black beans (drained, rinsed and mashed well)

1 large egg

4 tbsp salsa (mild, medium or hot according to taste)

2 tbsp whole kernel corn

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp dehydrated onion

1 tsp cumin

crushed red pepper (optional, just a pinch or two)

.5 cup rolled oats

Instructions:

Mix the first 8 ingredients to get the spices well distributed before adding the rolled oats. Refrigerate for an hour or more before using. Should be quite firm and easy to form. Makes 4 large patties. The raw patties freeze very well so I make a bunch at once and freeze them in ziplock bags for quick meals.

Additional comments:

1. One 15 oz. can of black beans, drained = 1.5 cups if you prepare your own.

2. Vegans may use egg-replacer (or omit it entirely) but I can't vouch for the taste or consistency.

3. If using southwest-style salsa you can omit the corn.

4. I cook these in my george foreman grill and they come out crispy and firm.

5. If pan-frying use as little oil as possible as the patties will soak it up readily.

6. Add additional spices to suit your taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I need to give homemade Black bean burgers another shot. I'm going to leave out the egg though, probably use a flax meal and water substitute. Just to be sure, that's a half cup of rolled oats right? Do those need to be instant or regular old fashioned?
#3 Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never made black bean burgers that didn't come out completely mushy inside. But I never tried any with oats either. I'll give these a try next time I'm in the mood for a burger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBirds View Post

I've never made black bean burgers that didn't come out completely mushy inside. But I never tried any with oats either. I'll give these a try next time I'm in the mood for a burger.

Same here! Also, anytime I have had one at a restaurant, they are extremely dry. I wish there was a secret way of cooking them, that someone could share with me!
#5 Old 01-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Shamandura,

I use plain old-fashioned oats (the kind that come in the big cylinder) although instant may work well also. I've just never tried that so I can't vouch for the taste or consistency.

I posted this recipe at the request of another member, and my primary goal was to put together a veggie burger that didn't fall apart, worked well with my george foreman grill, and utilized ingredients that I always have on hand (such as salsa).

I use dehydrated onions because they're cheaper than fresh and help to soak up the liquid and hold things together while still providing flavor. I'm on a tight budget.

To be honest folks may love or hate this recipe (you won't hurt my feelings if you hate it) but they do come out crisp enough that I can pick one up by the edges without it falling apart. Once cooked I add condiments as needed for wetness and additional flavor.

Enjoy!

Dig
#6 Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Honestly, I've kicked around the idea of ordering the "Big City Sliders" contraption that Billy Mays hawks on TV these days, just so I could see if it makes a black bean burger that doesn't fall apart.

(And ya can't go wrong with the bonus veggie slicer.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page