1-1.5c bread flour

1T yeast (yes, TABLEspoon)

14oz package Lite Life "ground beef"

1/2 head green cabbage, shredded or finely chopped

1 yellow onion, diced

peanut oil for saute, about 2T

2T or more Vegan Worcestershire sauce

2T or more soy sauce

1T liquid smoke (I used Hickory version)

1/2t salt

1/4t freshly ground pepper

Instructions:

-----------------------------------------------------

First we start with the dough. Mix together water, oats, salt, oil, molasses, and agave. Allow to sit and cool a bit (if hot to your wrist, it's too hot). Somewhere between baby bath water and leukwarm is good.

While the water-oat mix is cooling, get started with your filling. First, get the cabbage shredding out of the way. Then dice your onions, sing "I'm NOT crying!" Flight of the Conchords style as you go ~ This will probably take you as long as the water to cool, if you are doing the shredding by hand.

Add flour to your oat water mixture. (total of 3c between the two types) OR use all whole wheat and add 1T vital wheat gluten flour. Add yeast. Mix together, place in oiled bowl, flip to coat in oil, cover with lid or plastic wrap. Let sit 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

When the bread dough is rising and has about 30 minutes left to rise, start with making the filling.

Saute the onions until translucent (10-12m), and crumble in the "beef". I had to use a bread dough scraper to chop it up small enough to really work with, so it didn't stick to the pan. If sticking does occur, add a little more oil. When those are mixed together and heated through, add your cabbage. (I promise it cooks down!!)

When bread has rested 1 hour and doubled in bulk, punch down, separate into balls. Somewhere between a golf and tennis ball, depending on how big you want the runzas to be, I guess. Let those rest at least 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly flour a work surface, and roll a bit of dough out to as thin a circle as you can manage without tearing it. It's ready for filling!

Stir those around a bit and let flavors meld. When the cabbage is getting lighter in color and is softening, add your seasonings. Let this simmer on a low temp as you work with the bread dough, and let the dough balls rest. Roll out dough ball when it has rested, and fill with 1/3c to 2/3c (1/3 is about right for an 8 or 9" circle, so more if you made yours bigger)

To fold the dough around the filling and make it look nice, I flipped one long corner over, flipped the short ones down. Wet the last dough flap with water, flip up and press it in. Wetting it will help it stick and not open up. It should look something like a burrito now. Dust with flour on all sides so it won't stick to your pan and break open. Place, seam side down, on a greased pan and start over. Continue until you run out of dough or you run out of filling.

Bake 30 minutes, dough should be browned and firm to the touch.

Additional comments:

-----------------------------------------------------

Serve with ketchup (LOTS of ketchup!), good with oven fries on the side.

You can freeze the filled dough and bake later, or you can bake and freeze for fast filling lunch option. I made a HUGE batch of these and froze a bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page