Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Serves: 6

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

1/2 vidalia onion or red sweet onion

1 can black beans

1/2 c flour (I use whole wheat)

2 slices whole wheat or other higher fiber bread, hand crumbled

1 tsp garlic powder (don't use the garlic salt--it's got more of an edge)

1 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp seasoned salt

salt and pepper to taste

olive oil or canola oil for sauteeing

Instructions:

Process onion in your food processor until diced or dice entirely by hand.

Sautee onion in your favorite oil in a sautee or fry pan until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Drain beans and process them in your food processor until almost smooth or mash with potato masher.

Add onions, cumbled bread, garlic powder, onion powder, and seasoned salt to the beans and process or mix together.

Add flour by tablespoons and mix/process after each addition to produce thick bean mixture.

Form into 6 patties about 1/2 inch thick.

Cook on stove in small amount of oil, turning when necessary, until somewhat firm and slightly brown.

I make a batch, keep one ready for dinner and freeze the rest for my stash.

Additional comments:

The food processor really helps to speed this up. I appreciate it with the onions because I have so much trouble with tearing when I hand chop them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

These sound pretty awesome. and easy. I also have all the ingredients--never happens. Are they bland? I don't have a problem with blandness (sometimes love it) but the BF does.
#3 Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nermalsmom View Post

I make a batch, keep one ready for dinner and freeze the rest for my stash.

Thanks for this recipe. I'm looking forward to trying it! I was just wondering if you freeze the leftover patties before or after they are cooked. If you freeze them after cooking, do you microwave them to reheat or warm on the stove top? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javamom44 View Post

Thanks for this recipe. I'm looking forward to trying it! I was just wondering if you freeze the leftover patties before or after they are cooked. If you freeze them after cooking, do you microwave them to reheat or warm on the stove top? Thanks!

I would freeze them uncooked, personally. But I think it could go either way. I don't know how well they hold up before they're cooked, though. I haven't actually made this recipe.
#5 Old 08-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Beginner

I make my patties fairly thin and freeze them raw. Then I fry them that way right out of the freezer. Keeps the pattie from falling apart while the outside crisps up. I'm not vegan so I add an egg also. I've tried this recipe with a couple tablespoons of southwest style salsa (with the corn, etc) and it was yummy. Thanks to the OP for posting this.
#6 Old 08-02-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I would freeze them uncooked, personally. But I think it could go either way. I don't know how well they hold up before they're cooked, though. I haven't actually made this recipe.

Thank you for your opinion. I was thinking the same thing. I am going to get the ingredients and try this recipe.

Here is another veggie burger recipe I found. The only thing I see that could be wrong with it is there's really no binding ingredient in the recipe. I guess if the recipe needed it, flour could be added. Anyway, I thought I'd add this recipe in case anyone is interested. I plan to try both these recipes and others until I find one I like best.

I've never even eaten a veggie burger until yesterday and I loved it. It was the BK veggie burger. I've read pros and cons on it, but I thought it was great!

* 2 tbsp vegetable oil

* 1 onion, diced

* 1 clove garlic, minced

* 3 green onions, diced

* 1/2 tsp cumin

* 3/4 cup diced fresh mushrooms

* 1 15 ounce can pinto beans

* 1 tsp parsley

* salt and pepper to taste

* oil for frying

Sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft. Add the green onions, cumin and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked. Set aside.

Mash the beans with a fork or a potato masher, or process in a food processor until well mashed.

Add the mushrooms to the beans and add parsley, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.

Shape the mixture into patties. Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil and cook each patty until the veggie burgers are done, about 3 minutes on each side.
#7 Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Hi!

Sorry I haven't written this before. I cook the patties first and then freeze them. First, I like to have them all ready to go, and I have all my stuff out and make an assembly line (I usually make 1 of these and 1 of the oatmeal walnut burgers) on the weekends so I have food for a few weeks). Second, I don't know how they would end up if I don't cook them first. Third, time can also be an issue, so it's nice to have something that's ready to go. I make mine on the stove top (non-stick sautee pan) and I don't use oil when it is re-heated. I suppose you could put it in the microwave, too if you wish, but watch that you don't overcook it!

With regard to spice, you can add or subtract to taste. This one is pretty well on the lower spice side, so feel free to kick it up a notch if that is your taste. I like them spicy, too, but many people have issues so you can adjust accordingly. I too love salsa--beats all the junk in catsup--so a tablespoon or so of that with low-fat sour cream--veggie or dairy--really makes it special.

Hope you all enjoy,

Julie
#8 Old 08-04-2008, 01:08 PM

I cooked one in oil on a small cast iron pan and froze the rest raw. I haven't tried them since, so I'm not sure how that's going to work out. I love the recipe. They came out great! Thanks for posting!
#9 Old 08-04-2008, 02:51 PM

These sound great; however, I wonder what I could use in place of the flour 'cause I have celiac disease. Maybe instant potato flakes would work? I would have to replace the bread also. I will have to experiment I guess.
#10 Old 08-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post

These sound great; however, I wonder what I could use in place of the flour 'cause I have celiac disease. Maybe instant potato flakes would work? I would have to replace the bread also. I will have to experiment I guess.

Rice flour, mashed potato, rice put through the food processor until sticky, a little corn meal...Also, rice bread would work too, although it's a bit more moist, so adjust accordingly.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#11 Old 09-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Just made them, tomorrow I'm taking one of them with me for lunch - packed in a fresh selfmade pita bread ! I tryed a little leftover of the burger and they taste really yummy, can't wait till tomorrow !
#12 Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

These sound really good. I had another recipe, (not from VB) that I made and although they turned out really tasty, they were a bit on the mushy side.

I'm hoping with the flour that's called for in your recipe, that I won't have that problem.

I'll let you know how they turn out!

Thanks for sharing!
#13 Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post

I've made these with potato flakes and they taste great. No need for the flour or the breadcrumbs. Just add flakes until you get the right consistency. Mine seem to fry best when they're about like cookie dough. Rolled oats also work very well if you use them (some Celiacs do and some don't).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page