Category: Sandiwches/Burgers

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/4 cup grated onion

1/4 cup grated red pepper

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 teaspoon (or 1/2 for very spicy burgers) each of dried red pepper, cumin and chili powder

1 teaspoon each of oregano and basil

1 tablespoon parsley

1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds

1/2 cup coarsely chopped sunflower seeds

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 15.5 oz. can black beans

2 tablespoons of water

3/4 cup of wheat germ

Instructions:

Directions:

After grating the red pepper and onion set them aside in a medium bowl. Combine the garlic, spices, almonds, sunflower seeds, and oil in a food processor and pulse until texture resembles bread crumbs. Transfer mixture to the bowl. Put the black beans and water in the food processor and process until smooth. Add this mixture to the bowl along with the wheat germ. Mix (preferably with your hands) completely. Separate into five balls and shape into patties. Make sure the patties are not too thin or they will fall apart. Grill for 8 minutes on each side, or until slightly browned. Enjoy with your favorite burger fixings.

Serves: 5

Additional comments:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2011, 05:10 PM

I'm going to try to make this sometime this week!! I'm going to omit some of the ingredients as I don't have them and maybe I'll add some of my own. xD Will report how they turn out.
#3 Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 AM

Have you tried these on the bbq? will they stay together or just fall apart?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 AM

I made black bean burgers for the 1st time last night and they came out so dry (it was a different recipe.)  The tips I read said to rinse, drain & pat dry the black beans and remove as much excess moisture from the minced garlic& peppers so they would stay together.I see you actually add 2 tbs water to yours.  I also substituted blended oatmeal for the bread crumbs that it called for. 

Are these fairly moist?  Any suggestions?  It was the first real flop since moving to a vegan diet 6 weeks ago and my daughter was so excited  to try them sad.gif

#5 Old 04-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly Ford View Post

I made black bean burgers for the 1st time last night and they came out so dry (it was a different recipe.)  The tips I read said to rinse, drain & pat dry the black beans and remove as much excess moisture from the minced garlic& peppers so they would stay together.I see you actually add 2 tbs water to yours.  I also substituted blended oatmeal for the bread crumbs that it called for. 

Are these fairly moist?  Any suggestions?  It was the first real flop since moving to a vegan diet 6 weeks ago and my daughter was so excited  to try them sad.gif

I use a 1/4 cup gluten, oatmeal whizzed in a mini-prep, or garbanzo flour to 1 1/2 cups (1 can) of drained and rinsed beans. I mash the beans, then stir in the gluten and 1/2 cup of cooked grains (I like bulgar for texture), or ground nuts. Spices of course.

The flour helps bind it all together. I'd never "pat dry" anything, kinda go by how they hold together for how much dry ingrediants to use.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 AM

Can i add black truffles to that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page