1 T oil

1/2 t cumin

2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced

1 15 oz can black beans, drained

1/2 - 3/4 c bread crumbs

salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

------------------------------------------------------

Saute onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add cumin and chipotle peppers and cook another 2-3 minutes.

In a mixing bowl, mash the black beans. Add sauteed vegetables and mix well. Add salt and pepper according to taste. Then add enough bread crumbs so that the mixture is able to stick together well.

Form the black bean mixture into 6 patties. Refrigerate patties for about 30 minutes. Chilling the patties will help keep them from falling apart during cooking.

After chilling the patties, heat a saute pan that is lightly oiled or sprayed with cooking spray to about medium heat. I like to spray a bit of cooking spray on both sides of the patties too. Pan fry the patties until lightly browned, about 5 minutes on each side.

Serve on bread of choice with desired toppings. Enjoy!

Additional comments:

------------------------------------------------------

I came up with these the other day and they turned out great. Don't skip the chipotle chilies. They add a nice smoky, roasted flavor. You can adjust the amount depending on how much heat you like.

I had them on lightly toasted multi-grain bread. I made a spicy mayo by mixing some of the adobo sauce from the chipotle chilies and some chopped cilantro with a bit of Vegenaise. I squeezed some fresh lime juice on the patties and topped the sandwich with lettuce and tomato. Super yum!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Nice recipe. What's adobo sauce?

I think it could also help to add about 1/2 cup of flour, to make them stiff.
#3 Old 06-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Adobo sauce is basically a Mexican/Aztec style tomato sauce. You can find the canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in any grocery store and the leftovers can be stored in the fridge for months and added to whatever recipe for a hot, smokey flavor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page