Mock Tuna Salad - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Mock Tuna Salad

Category: Sandwiches/Burgers

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

2 cans of garbanzo beans, drained

1 tbsp lemon juice

4 tbsp Veganaise, to taste

5 tbsp pickle relish, to taste

2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

3/4 cup finely chopped onion

Instructions:

Place all of the ingredients except the onion and pickle relish into a food processor and process until it reaches the desired texture (you probably don't want it too smooth). Then stir in the onion and pickle relish. Refrigerate.

Additional comments:

Goes great on bread or crackers.

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually made something similar to this the other day and it was soooo good. Except I didn't add yeast. I'll have to try that next time and see how it is. I love eating this on crackers.
#3 Old 05-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder why it specifies "vinegar-free pickle relish".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Maybe the vinegar affects the taste. I think I'm going to try this sometime this weekend. Seems like it should have some lemon juice in it for some reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 05-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I just made this and OMG it is sooo good! I altered the amounts because I didn't want to use a partial can of beans. Unfortunately I didn't keep good track of how much of what I was putting in - I kept adding if I felt it needed more. I also added some lemon juice. I just now wrote down what I think I put in so I'll make it that way next time and if it's right I'll post it.

Also, instead of mashing everything I whipped it up in the food processor. What I'll probably do next time is whip up everything except the onion and pickle relish and then stir those things in at the end.

I guess I should add a disclaimer, I haven't tried it on bread yet (I only licked the spoon ) so I'm not sure how that'll taste, I'm probably going to have it for dinner tonight.

#6 Old 05-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

man, i've had a recipe for this "happy tuna salad" up on veganmania for SEVEN YEARS and you've never tried it???

why do i bother?
#7 Old 05-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

man, i've had a recipe for this "happy tuna salad" up on veganmania for SEVEN YEARS and you've never tried it???

why do i bother?

I don't usually go looking for recipes. I only notice them as I'm taking them from PETA sites and sites that have given permission to duplicate them. And besides, I've linked to your site every time I've noticed someone asking for recipes so there.

#8 Old 05-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

i see. so what you're saying is, you've never actually tried anything off of veganmania!

*runs away crying*
#9 Old 05-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Until about a month ago I'd never tried anything. I've only recently started trying to prepare my own meals. I'll try something from VM if it'll make you feel better.

#10 Old 06-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Good to hear that you're starting to cook your own meals... I remember you telling me that you were living off of stir-fry...
#11 Old 08-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Yum. I just ate some and it was super good. It even talked my mom out of me making her pasta
#12 Old 09-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned

I liked this, good mouth feel, but I feel its missing something.... when I figure it out I'll add it here ;-)

BTW I found that I liked this much better on lightly toasted bread than plain bread. I think that the secret MAY be to add a ton of pickles to the sandwich... pickles fix everything... ;-)

Oh btw how long do you guys think this would keep? (I have some in my fridge from Sunday and I'm afraid to touch it...)
#13 Old 09-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Administrator

I probably wouldn't eat it if it's been that long. I'd probably go 4 days max but I'm kind of funny about leftovers.

#14 Old 09-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Banned

I am too. Sometimes I worry I'm TOO finicky, that's why I asked. Glad I'm not nuts ;-)
#15 Old 09-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Actually it looks like the recipe I've been using is slightly modified (by me). Not much difference but the lemon juice might help a bit...

·\t2 cans (16 oz each) garbanzo beans (chickpeas)

·\t1 tbsp lemon juice

·\t4 tbsp Veganaise

·\t5 tbsp pickle relish

·\t2 tbsp nutritional yeast

·\t¾ cup onion

Add garbanzo beans, lemon juice, Veganaise, and nutritional yeast to blender. Blend thoroughly.

Finely dice ¾ cup onion. Add onion and pickle relish to the other ingredients and stir thoroughly.

Refrigerate. Serve on bread.

#16 Old 09-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

I liked this, good mouth feel, but I feel its missing something.... when I figure it out I'll add it here ;-)

BTW I found that I liked this much better on lightly toasted bread than plain bread. I think that the secret MAY be to add a ton of pickles to the sandwich... pickles fix everything... ;-)

Oh btw how long do you guys think this would keep? (I have some in my fridge from Sunday and I'm afraid to touch it...)

(Don't think I'd use a mayo. based mix after two or three days...)

I add either (not both at the same time) a small bit of curry powder OR some dulse (seaweed) flakes. The curry doesn't make it "hot" or spicy but does round out the flavor nicely. The seaweed adds just a slight "fishyness" but NOTHING like that wretched "canned-catfood-taste" that I thought "real" tuna had...

Try one or the other in small amounts - add more to taste - you'd be surprised at the difference!
#17 Old 09-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

Thanks Michael and TNS! :-) (I agree with your timing TNS - I made sandwiches with it for 3 days and then stopped, and now its just sitting there in a tupperware... I better dump it before my tupperware falls victim to my fear of offensive smells...)
#18 Old 09-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

I better dump it before my tupperware falls victim to my fear of offensive smells...

Oh I can SOOOO relate!!!

I still ask my ex to dump scarey,smelly, tupperware contents in the garbage for me, when he's over here picking up the kids... how pathetic is THAT!?!?!
#19 Old 09-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Tupperware is both a blessing and a curse that way. It keeps your food fresh but when you're too lazy to dump it the smell and fuzzies stay in until you finally have to pitch it and buy more.

#20 Old 09-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Banned

I have a method to rescue such tupperware .... with containers i really want to keep, i put them in the freezer first - that locks away the smells - then run it under hot water for a few seconds and the contents pop right out - toss it in the trash, tie it up and rull like heck to the garbage bin outside!! :-)
#21 Old 09-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

OH I LOVE IT!!!

What a great idea...

Hmmmmm... only I have a lot of tupperware with GOOD stuff in it, in the freezer - I KNOW without a DOUBT I would get the stuff confused... eeeewww... that could be bad...
#22 Old 09-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned

i made something like this over the weekend and really enjoyed it
#23 Old 09-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Beginner

YUM! I *love* this stuff! Its my fave quick/simple recipe.
#24 Old 08-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

I just made this and noticed the recipe in the first post is not the same one I'm currently using so I changed it.

Just made another batch and this stuff is delicious! If you're looking for something quick, easy, and inexpensive do yourself a favor and try this!

#25 Old 09-17-2006, 07:13 PM

I just tried this tonight, only I mashed the beans with a fork instead of putting them in a food processor. Yum! Thank you for the recipe!
#26 Old 02-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I made this the other day...with only a couple of the ingredients! Yeah I was missing a bunch of things including the MAYONNAISE but it still worked out okay. I put loads of margarine in instead.

Anyhow, I want to try it (closer to) properly today - with egg free mayonnaise and everything! how many days do people think it will keep in the fridge?
#27 Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Probably about 3 days. I'm kind of funny about leftovers though.

#28 Old 02-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Probably about 3 days. I'm kind of funny about leftovers though.

thanks.

I'll probably have eaten it by then, I don't think the amount I made will last more than 3 lunches, so that's alright
#29 Old 02-25-2007, 01:24 PM

I am so excited to try this recipe!!!
#30 Old 08-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Wow, I made this for the first time yesterday. Yum! I added extra relish and some fresh herbs. Could not stop eating it last night with crackers and had it again today for lunch. Thanks, Michael!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page