This stuff is absolutely awesome!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

It is good, I just made some last night
#33 Old 09-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

My omni daughter (although she almost never eats meat, but she's big on cheese and dairy) asked me to make this for her today because my other daughter loves it! I couldn't believe it. I didn't have any chickpeas so I gave her a raincheck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

OK with everyone raving about this I had to finally try it. I'm eating it right now

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!! I always have these ingredients on hand, though I used lemmon pepper cause I had no lemons, and the convenience to make this is a huge plus. Freakin Deliciousness! Thank You Michael!
#35 Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Yay! I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying it. Might be time for me to whip up another batch.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#36 Old 10-07-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks for posting this. My health food store makes sandwiches with this and they run about $3.50 each. I'm glad that I can make my own. Delicious.
#37 Old 11-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Beginner

this is a great recipe, it's become one of my staples. but today, my omni hubby just had a sandwich and a half, and he's sort of a picky eater! pretty cool!
#38 Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Funny this thread came up again. I just made some of this again tonight.
#39 Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned

Yes I've made it at least 6 times since I saw it. I don't even use bread, I just eat it right out of the bowl.
#40 Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Ive made it twice, and noticed that it tasted very much like egg salad rather than tuna. My wife actually thought it was egg salad, until I told her it was garbanzo beans. I used the following ingredients:

2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

1 tablespoon vinegar

½ cup (112 grams) Vegenaise

2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes

2 ounces white onion, finely chopped

2 ounces celery, finely chopped

1 teaspoon sea salt

Im thinking about tweaking this a bit on my next batch to see if I can make a truly convincing faux egg salad. The three things Im going to try are adding tofu to simulate egg white, turmeric to make it yellow, and black salt to give it a sulfur flavor. Does anybody have any experience with black salt? Do you think I should just do a straight substitution, using 1 tsp. black salt in place of the sea salt? Or would this give it too strong a sulfur taste?
#41 Old 11-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

Ive made it twice, and noticed that it tasted very much like egg salad rather than tuna. My wife actually thought it was egg salad, until I told her it was garbanzo beans. I used the following ingredients:

2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

1 tablespoon vinegar

½ cup (112 grams) Vegenaise

2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes

2 ounces white onion, finely chopped

2 ounces celery, finely chopped

1 teaspoon sea salt

That make sense. I think the relish is a big part of what makes it taste like tuna salad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#42 Old 11-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Washoe, don't use a whole tsp of black salt if you're going for an eggy taste. The "sulfur-y" flavor will blow you away. (At least I think it would.) I usually use just a pinch when making tofu scramble and that's plenty, you can always add more - you can't subtract though.

I do tofu-no-egg salad basically the same way and people really have been fooled. My kids take it in school lunches a lot because it "looks like the other kids food"... They don't always like to have to answer questions/defend their eating choices over lunch.
#43 Old 11-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, thanks. You might have saved me from having to toss a batch. I'll do like Confucius say and "start smallget biggah".
#44 Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

Ive made it twice, and noticed that it tasted very much like egg salad rather than tuna. My wife actually thought it was egg salad,

Have you tried adding a little sea-weed type stuff, like powdered kelp or the such? Might get a little of that 'ocean' flavor going . . . .

Ash
#45 Old 12-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Made this last night.....well kind of! I used chick peas, miracle whip and celery instead of onions! It was delish!! I don't have a food processor so I had to mash the chickpeas with potato masher-like spoon so the consistency of the texture wasn't great! Either way it's great for sandwiches!! Thanks!! Peace & Love!!
#46 Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, this was great! It's awesome what you can do with garbonzo beans; add alittle sage it taste like chicken, add lemon it's tuna!

I actually enjoyed this way more than a tuna sandwich from what I can remember...it's alot less stinky/fishy. I did rinse the beans before putting them into the food processor. Probably would have been more potent if I didnt, but canned garbonzo juice stinks!
#47 Old 04-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Beginner

Where do you find "Veganaise"?
#48 Old 04-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you use a potato masher instead of a food processor?

veganGO -
forum for vegan activists.
#49 Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortpotato View Post

Most healthfood stores and larger grocery stores carry it; they keep it in the health & nutrition refrigerated section where you might find tofu and soymilk.

Looks like this..vegenaise.

http://www.satyamag.com/sat.site.images/veganaise.jpg
#50 Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

I cant see why not. My food processor is very old and didnt do a very good job mashing the beans and it still turned out great after I took a large fork to them.
#51 Old 04-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortpotato View Post

Most grocery stores around here carry at least one brand of vegan mayo (usually Nayonaise). It's in the produce section by the tofu.

Veganaise is my favorite but around here it's only available in health food stores.

Google has quite a few recipes for making you're own, though I've never tried it...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

If you're not vegan you can always use real mayonnaise.

Quote:

Might be some work but yeah, I think that'd turn out ok.

#52 Old 04-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I always use a potato masher, and it not only makes very quick work of the process, it gives the spread the perfect consistency. You dont want to reduce it to hummus, but you dont want to leave any whole beans, either. The potato masher seems to give it the perfect amount of chunkiness.

Dammit, I have to make some of this soon. I still havent tried adding the black salt yet. The bag has been sitting unopened in my Indian spice box for months now. I think I mentioned this before, but Im also going to try to figure out how to give it a yellowish color. Maybe turmeric, or perhaps mustard powder.
#53 Old 04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

That make sense. I think the relish is a big part of what makes it taste like tuna salad.

Ha, I was just reading this thread, thinking this would be a good lunch. But I don't have any relish and was wondering what it would do to the flavor. Egg salad it is!
#54 Old 04-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok.. this is really good! This is one of those recipes that's been on my radar for a while but I never got around to making it, now I'm wondering why. I made half a recipe (only had one can of chickpeas, that I just picked up on a whim last night), used half of it on my sammich, and I'll save the other half for tomorrow. I have a feeling it will taste even better tomorrow after the flavors mesh.

ETA: I didn't add the salt, didn't think it needed it.
#55 Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Dang it, every time someone bumps this thread, I get an incredibly craving for it.

*sigh* I know what's for lunch tomorrow.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#56 Old 05-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Washoe, this is an OLLLLDDDD recipe from 25 years ago, that I made before I was even vegetarian, and we liked it back then! So, after reading thru this thread, I finally dug into searching for it, and here it is, maybe it will help you decide what to do with yours:

MISSING EGG SALAD

1 LB Tofu, drained, mashed

2T + 2 tsp mayo (you choose)

T prepared mustard (yellow)

tsp soy sauce (or 1/4tsp salt)

1/8 tsp tumeric (for color)

1/2 tsp garlic powder

2 T dehydrated onions

1/2C chopped celery

Combine all ingredients, mixing well and chill.
#57 Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a wonderful compliment!

I made this for the first time today, and I have never liked tuna. But this was really delicious.

My aunt came in, and asked what I had made. I told her it was a 'garbanzo bean salad thing' just for fun.

When she tried some, her first words were, "Wow. It tastes almost like... tuna salad..!"

Then she gave a weird look, which I now know was the 'Oh-my-god-are-you-eating-meat-again' look

We already ate the whole bowl of it. Definitely a keeper!!! Perfect for a warm day when hot food is unappetizing!
#58 Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I kind of half use the potato masher. When I made it, the potato masher kept leaving whole beans. So I just mashed it to the best of my ability, and then stuck an immersion blender in there and flung it around a little. I liked the whole creamy consistency against the chunky crunchy relish and onion. I also made sure to leave big chunks of the beans in there too. It's really a matter of personal preference I think.

(I did that mostly because I don't own a food processor anymore.)
#59 Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

OOOOUH, this is AMAZING. I'm definitely making this for my school lunch at least once a week!

I did one minor thing different--I added a dash of paprika, which livened it up a bit. Sooo good on crackers.
#60 Old 03-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh. My. Gosh.

I made this tonight. SO GOOD.

I made a half batch, put some on a sandwich, and now I'm snacking on it with pita chips, and I'll probably end up eating the whole thing

Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched. -Mindy Kaling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page