Black Beans Burgers vs. ???? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-19-2013, 11:53 AM

I really do not like black beans. I have tried black bean burgers in the past and have severely disliked them. With so many vegetarian/vegan "burger" recipes calling for black beans I am looking for a good alternative. Most other beans/legumes I adore, but it is just this dreaded black bean. If anyone has suggestions as to what I can substitute in for them, or school me as to why so many of the "burger" recipes call for black beans I would greatly appreciate the help. 

“I choose not to make a graveyard of my body for the rotting corpses of dead animals.” - George Bernard Shaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

You can use any other bean with the same texture, no difference!
Black beans are soft, and have a thin skin, so they're good for mushing.
Pintos, red Chili beans, black eyed peas, even adzuki beans are perfect substitutes. Not that you couldn't use others, or even lentils in fact.

My son is the same way about black beans, but they're one of my favorites!
BTW, I've found the canned ones all taste somewhat different. There's a store brand I buy just for burgers because it mushes so well.

What I often find is recipes call for too much cumin!

I think they're so often used because of their color too, it makes for a look similair to a hamburger.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 09-19-2013, 05:07 PM

Black bean burgers are my favorite! But yeah, you can replace any beans you have or like, I have done it before with little effect. Personally I also think chickpeas are really good formed into patties.

goofycucumber likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-19-2013, 11:10 PM

Super helpful! I love chickpeas! I was looking for quinoa burger, but the recipe that I found had black beans added to it. I think chickpeas would go great in there, maybe even the red beans to give it a different color!

Thanks so much for advice smiley.gif

“I choose not to make a graveyard of my body for the rotting corpses of dead animals.” - George Bernard Shaw
#5 Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I use whatever I fancy - though often my default is red kidney beans rather than black beans; they're good and meaty in texture and they mash up well.

Some pulses have a more grainy texture, some are more mushy, some a bit wetter. All that means is that you have to adjust the mixture a little so you can shape it into patties that hold together nicely.

Oats are often a good addition because they absorb excess moisture and give a good texture. Breadcrumbs and flour are useful too. Get your hands in there and don't forget to season well! :)

goofycucumber likes this.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page