Help - I canot eat soy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-11-2013, 11:40 AM

Because of some cancer issues, I can not use soy. anymore.  I have eaten so much  hummus that I NEED a change. 

Now I am a 'top of the stove cook' - prefer not to cook at all if the truth be known.  Sandwiches have been my food of choice for over 70 years.  Anyone with easy to prepare suggestions?

Thanks

Katel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen garbanzo tofu at my NFS, never tried it as I love tofu, and I also love garbanzo beans.

Here's a recipe for it:

http://www.girlcooksworld.com/2013/03/burmese-chickpea-tofu.html

Really easy- sounds much like polenta but I can see how it would have a tofu like consistency.

Beans, lentils, whole grains- no need for soy. We have a lot of members who shun it either because of need or dislikes.

As much as I like it I don't use it much. A typical meal is some kind of grain with sauteed veggies. Or patty. or pasta...

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find lots here to help you.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 08-11-2013, 05:59 PM

Welcome to VB smiley.gif

Great ideas above - I'd suggest trying the old grain, protein and veggies approach, i.e. pick a grain, from quinoa to rice to pasta (there are HEAPS of fun ones to experiment with, try googling a list of grains for inspiration), add a protein source (beans, lentils, nuts - some grains like quinoa are also good protein sources) then throw in any veggies you think would go well and a simple sauce/seasoning. There are so many possible combinations and you can make it as simple and easy as you like.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I've seen garbanzo tofu at my NFS, never tried it as I love tofu, and I also love garbanzo beans.

Here's a recipe for it:

Really easy- sounds much like polenta but I can see how it would have a tofu like consistency.

Beans, lentils, whole grains- no need for soy. We have a lot of members who shun it either because of need or dislikes.

As much as I like it I don't use it much. A typical meal is some kind of grain with sauteed veggies. Or patty. or pasta...

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find lots here to help you.

Oh, thank you for sharing this. You just made life a lot easier for me.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Potatotarian

I've been practically living on veggie sandwiches these days.  I just can't stop eating them :).  I like to use bread with lots of seeds in it, vegenaise, tomatoes, red onions, pickles, olives when I have them, and avocado or quacamole.  

I tend to avoid soy because I have a sluggish thyroid.  I do sometimes use a splash of soy sauce, but I try not to.

#6 Old 08-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty much a top of the stove person too, when I cook at all, but I love my little toaster oven too.  I make a lot of baked potatoes.  

Dr. McDougall believes that if you're getting enough calories from whole foods, you are pretty much getting enough protein, so you might try looking at the totality of your diet and all your sources of protein - maybe you're getting enough from other sources and don't need to be so concerned about replacing the hummus?  See:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/apr/protein.htm

If you want an easy sandwich spread you can also use seed and nut butters.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#7 Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a huge bread person, but on occasion I do make sandwiches.  Here are some of the sandwiches I enjoy:

• marinated portabella mushroom sandwich with onion slices
  • grilled avocado and tomato sandwich
  • roasted vegetables and chickpeas (garbanzo beans) in a pita or wrap with a vegan yogurt or pineapple sauce
  • beet burger
  • carrot lentil burger
  • sloppy joes made with bulgur wheat (very quick and easy to cook on the stove) and tomato sauce/paste/homemade bbq sauce and throw in some onion and green pepper; can add red lentils for an extra boost of nutrition
  • wild rice burger
  • white bean nutritional yeast "cheese" spread in sandwich
  • spicy kidney bean spread in sandwich (with spices like chili powder, cumin, cayenne, tomato etc)

The bean spreads can be made with canned beans and there is no cooking involved.  I use a blender but you could even just mash them by hand.

I don't know where you live (I live in the U.S.), but there are products made by Fantastic World Foods for sandwiches that are extremely easy to mix and you can find them in mainstream grocery stores.  They will say vegan on the package if they are vegan.  There is a falafel mix that you just add water to a powder form of chickpea with spices and let it thicken and then shape it into a patty, heat it on a dry skillet on the stove for five minutes and you have a tasty sandwich ready.  You can add a sauce or condiments to it also.  They have bean mixes and sloppy joe mixes too. 

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 08-13-2013, 05:22 PM

I like a whole grain pita or whole wheat pocket stuffed with lettuce, tomatoe, sprouts, cucumber and avocado, that is my go-to sandwich. my son likes cheese on it,I don't , though,  I have never tried vegan cheese, so I don't know about that. you could try vegenaise or just mushing the avocado with a little olive oil to moisten it up.

what about a tomatoe sandwich on toast and some soup.

or else  fortified whole grain pasta and with a simple sauce of garlic cooked in olive oil  and with whatever fresh veggies you have on hand.

for protein--  a can of black beans over rice is easy. i like mine with a dash of vinegar and hot sauce and chopped raw onion.if you like fried plantain you could have that on the side.

do you have a rice cooker? I have a cheap black and decker one and it even cooks brown rice right.

microwave baked potatoe with chili beans or  microwaved sweet potatoe

#9 Old 08-13-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Yea, the cooking method is the same as polenta. Looks a little finer though. Can't wait to give it a try.

#10 Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM

Thanks to everyone.  Good sandwich ideas here and that is nice.  I had found that Tasty Bite, which sells Inidan food in pkts also sells direct on line. I like their ginger rice a lot.  But you have offered ideas for sandwiches and that is what I was looking for. Thanks.

Kate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page