Can I make a burger out of groats? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-30-2013, 11:37 AM

I never made a veggie burger but I'd like to. I'd like to use ingredients I already own. So I have the following ingredients which I think would be suitable for a veggie burger:

half a can of corn, a can of refried black beans, 3 table spoons of different seeds (sunflower, pumpkin and pine nuts), and a can of wheat groats.

And of course, several different spices, sunflower oil, green beans, brown rice....that's about it.

Do I need something else? Is it possible to make a veggie burger out of some of these ingredients? If so, how would you proceed to make one out of these (or some additional) ingredients?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

ETA: Doh! I read oats not wheat groats! Yeah I don't see why not. Not used them for making veggie burgers before myself though.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#3 Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 PM

First of all, thanks. :)

Do I mix the corn and the beans in a blender or do I mix them with a fork or something like that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I deleted my last post because I misread your OP - sorry about that. I haven't cooked burgers with wheat groats, but I have used beans and rice.

No need for a processor, your refried beans are already mushy enough. I'd just mix together the refried beans and drained corn with a fork. Then add in your seeds, salt and spices. Lastly mix in enough cooked and drained rice (and/or cooked groats) till you get a moist / not sloppy cookie dough like consistency - use fork or hands - though hands are probably best to get everything nicely holding together. Shape into patties with floured hands. Fry both sides till nicely browned.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#5 Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM

No Problem, I actually have oats, too but I have groats and I don't know what else to do with them, so I thought maybe you could make a  burger out of them. And since I haven't found any recipes which use groats, I posted this thread. Anyway, that doesn't sound too difficult... and I'll definitely try it out.

#6 Old 05-31-2013, 02:24 AM

Since I don't use eggs, what will keep the mix together? The rice or groats? Just asking to be sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page