Mock Tuna melts!(AKA. Chickpea melts) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Ingredients:

Mock tuna/ Chickpea filling:
1 can chickpeas, drained and mashed coarsely with potato masher
1/4 cup mayo/vegan mayo (give or take on texture pref)
1 large dill pickle chopped finely(or aproximately the same amount chopped pickle slices)
1 tbsp pickle juice
1/2 tsp-1tsp soya sauce
1 tbsp nutritional yeast.
1/2-1 tsp garlic powder/ onion powder.
Salt and pepper to taste

Sammich:
Slices of whole wheat or white bread. (White bread desired for traditional sammich)
Grated cheddar(or vegan alternative)cheese

Instructions.
Mix all the filling ingredients together in a large bowl. Spread a few heaping tablespoons on top of a single slice of bread and spread so that it covers thickly. Grate some cheddar cheese and place on top of chickpea topping so that it covers the entire top part of the slice without being too thick.

Place in oven at 450 degrees for 3-4 minutes, straight on the rack depending on the spacing between the rungs, or on a pan if spacing is too far apart. After 3-4 minutes(and bottom of bread should start getting slightly crisper, but NOT brown) turn the oven to the broil setting for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the top of the bread had browned slightly.

Let open face sandwiches cool for a minute, before placing on plates and serving hot, preferably sliced in half diagonally. Do NOT top with second peice of bread! Excellent with tomato soup for dipping, particularly when feeling under the weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

This is a good thing, indeed! If you want it to taste more 'fishy' you can put in some kelp, dulse or other powdered sea weed. Also, a little garlic and onion powder and a dash of red Hot or cayenne makes this so yummy.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

GAH! I forgot I had been putting in a tsp of garlic powder! LOL. Thanks for reminding me. The powdered seaweed would probably be great for people who want fishy taste(which was the part I didn't like about seafood when I was omni..haha).

I just made this basically 10 minutes ago, actually. It made my life and brought back great childhood memories. Also I love the fact i will be able to create this dish when I have kids so they will be able to experience the same comfort food I always loved when I was sick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM

anyone happen to have a picture of this?
#5 Old 03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds great, I'll have to try it! I frequently make chickpea sandwiches but I have never baked them before. Love the idea!
#6 Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 PM

Sorry...looks like an old thread, but I had this with the added seaweed, and it was incredible. Kelp/dulce/seaweed of choice definitely makes it 'tuna', so i recommend using it if you have it. Great, great recipe!smiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page