The search for cheap and easy (and good) veggie burgers - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I spend way too much money on veggie burgers. I'm thinking of making my own and doing them en masse and freezing them. That way I can easily George Foreman grill them later like I do with Boca Burgers when I want an easy meal. I was looking through vegweb.com and found this:

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=15746.0

Do you think that will be a good one to go with or do you have other recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

that looks all right but maybe a bit bland? can't hurt to try it. there aren't any exotic ingredients so if you dont like them it won't be too much of a waste. i really want to try with lentils. but i am big on whole foods so i think i'd like the lentils over tvp. this one from chooseveg has an interesting one - but again cheap ingredients so you could make them again and again. if you like lentils, that is http://www.chooseveg.com/lentil-burgers.asp
#3 Old 04-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, even a video to show you how to make it. Thanks, I'm gonna give your suggestion a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

An update: Hey, darkgarden, thanks for the link. I made the burgers from it and they turned out excellent! This is a breakthrough, both for my food budget and for veganism. Those burgers are cheap to make, especially if you soak dried lentils (which I did). He said in the video he didn't have good luck with dried lentils, but I did. I soaked them overnight and then cooked them long enough to get soft. The bread crumbs worked great as the agent to make the burgers stick together. I thought I was going to have to use one of the egg substitutes recommended over at vegweb.com. No need for that. The crumbs worked great.

You can make a bunch of these dirt cheap, and I can tell the recipe is easily modifiable. I'm going to try it with other beans like black beans and pinto beans. I bought a patty maker really cheap that you use to mash the burgers into a uniform shape; then I used my Food Saver to plastic seal numerous patties for freezing. Now I have a big supply of these things that I can grab and cook quickly in my George Foreman grill. Excellent.

This will also help me toward veganism. At the grocery store near me there's usually only one vegan choice for veggie burgers, and, of course, you get tired of that one. Then it's tempting to resort to accepting one of the tasty Morningstar Farms burgers that contains an egg white. I'll be able to make a big variety of veggie burgers that I know are vegan and keep them frozen on hand for when I need a quick meal. And I can make a bunch of different varieties.

The best part was these really tasted better than most store-bought veggie burgers.

They taste better, they're cheaper, and they've vegan. Well worth the effort. This has been a smashing success. I can't wait to try a modified variety.

Thanks again for the link!
#5 Old 11-20-2011, 02:44 PM

I just have the recipe I like to make myself, which you may like if you're fond of latin food. You can use black beans (or even refried if you could find vegan ones) but I tend to use white northern beans. I do those, mash them up with salsa (I drain it if it's very liquidy salsa) and about 1 tsp of cumin, chili powder, lawry's seasoning, and garlic. I like to add jalapenos to mine to give them some spice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page