VeggieBoards banner

Beans and Rice "K.I.S.S" Style

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tom 
#1 ·

Dry Pinto Beans- 1/2 a cup

Hello All,

Today we will be doing Pinto Beans and Rice in my K.I.S.S. style or "Keep it Simple Stupid" style. Again, this is a Poor Man's(or ladies') Delight because the rice and beans create a complete protein and really fill you up for not much money.

Dry Pinto Beans- 1/2 a cup
Salt- Dash
Cumin- Table Spoon
Olive Oil- 1/2 a Cup
Jasmine Rice - One Cup
A cooking Pot
3 cups of water

1. Soak 1/2 cup of Pinto Beans in 2 cups of luke warm water for about 4 hours

2. Boil water and place soaked Pinto Beans in pot of 3 cups of boiling water for 10 minutes

3. Bring water down to about 2/5th power on your burner

4. Pour about 1/4 a cup of Olive Oil in the pot

5. Add a dash of salt to the pot

6. Add a cup of Rice

7. Let rice and beans cook for about 15 minutes

8. Strain rice and beans and put in bowl or on a plate

9. Add a table spoon of Cumin (keeps you from having, gas- you don't want a "date changer" if you are cooking this for that special someone)

10. Mix it all up with a 1/4 of a cup more of Olive Oil and you are ready to eat!

Happy 4th!

John

http://beansandriceblog.blogspot.com

See less See more
#5 ·
This sounds good, but... I would probably add just enough water so that straining was unnecessary, and not use so much olive oil... I love the stuff, but that adds a lot of calories. Also, I don't think the dry pinto beans I buy would be cooked after 25 minutes of simmering, even after soaking for 4 hours.

#6 · (Edited)
I'd like that too, but have never found the right proportions of rice/beans and water. Every recipe, and adjustment, was never enough, or either the beans or rice weren't cooked properly.
My K.I.S.S. has been to just make them seperate.
I had seen a recipe that uses a pressure cooker with the rice in a seperate bowl in the middle of the cooker with the beans..

I do prefer lentils and rice

The only oil I've ever used would be to heat the spices. Maybe a tablespoon at most.

#7 ·
Actually, I also cook the beans separately too! I usually cook a somewhat large batch and freeze them in separate containers, each holding several servings each, so that I can have a container of cooked, thawed beans ready. I just add the beans when the rice is done, but maybe the flavors don't blend so well. Lentils cook rather quickly though, so one could start the dish with rice and lentils at the same time and everything would be just right.

I bought some celery at the farmer's market, but it's pretty tough and stringy. I bet it would be perfect in a dish like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.