VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Rice & Grains (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/48-rice-grains/)
-   -   So I Just moved out...and (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/48-rice-grains/138173-so-i-just-moved-out.html)

VeganPower! 11-22-2012 01:38 AM

I go broke pretty easily

because I eat out alot and well I wana learn how to cook

could you guys please share

easy fast but healthy delicious recipes?

I am a bachelor living in a house with some room mates

I have a small Kitchen no oven

but I am thinking of buying a

*Conventional Oven

*Rice Cooker

*Slow Cooker

and a steamer...one of those metal attachments

but anyways Im very interested in learning how to steam delicious veggies.

What is the difference between a rice cooker and a slow cooker?

Should I get both?

or just one or the other..please help!

What are some good places to buy food at??

I live in Chicago

any websites you guys would like to share would be greatly appreciated also...

Signed

Helpless bachelor with a grumbling stomach and a minimum wage job

who would love to eat healthy and learn to cook some delicious fooods

grin.gif

vegan cyberpunk 11-22-2012 04:50 AM

Plenty of websites around with plenty of recipes, look also for newsletters, google groups, mailing lists, facebook, twitter, local vegetarian and vegan groups and veggie places where you can have free cooking classes and recipes exchanges,

as said in another thread rather than buying in a supermarket you can buy way bigger quantities cheaper online, see if there is any alernative local food system like people sharing gardens or giving x money to local farmers for x random veggies and fruits per week... local anarchist places or alternative social centers tend to be high on advices on this side.

Note that from a financial point of view you don't need a slow cooker or a rice cooker... they are nice, but they are a more recent invention than rice, so doing without is a viable option. Always a bit money saved.

Ask your questions to staff and customers in veggie places ( happycow has a bunch of them ) they can give you loads of local advices.

Peta, vegan outreach etc must have plenty of veggie recipes, and you should be able to find cookbooks online, in .pdf by looking at some more obscure corners of the net.

LedBoots 11-22-2012 05:31 AM

Hi.smiley.gif Cooking isn't hard at all, there's youtubes, easy recipe blogs, etc. :-) You'll save lots of $$. Do you have a hot plate or stove top? If so, you don't really need the rice cooker or slow cooker. (Rice cookers typically cook rice and similar gains; some double as a vegetable steamer. Slow cookers are like crock pots, you throw a bunch of stuff in there, veggies etc, and five hours later everything is cooked.)

norisheep 11-22-2012 09:55 AM

Start keeping track of how much you are spending. Keep all your receipts and record down everything. 

Vegan cooking and baking is easy pie compared to accounting. Not that accounting is hard, just that most people don't realize how helpful and important it is. 

vegan cyberpunk 11-22-2012 11:02 AM

Althought i prefer to do my accounting by hand, there are free softwares that do a lot of tasks automatically ( salary, taxes, charges, insurance, etc ) living you with very little input to add.