Tofu recipes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Banned

I know some of you eat tofu more than I do, and I have tried to make dinner with tofu twice. But I don't know how to press out the water effective in it. I'm born with smaller hands, so that's a problem. What kind of spice do you use? And are there recipes where I can use tofu in smoothies and others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't press tofu with my hands, I usually wrap it in a towel and put something heavy on it (A pot, cutting board, etc). That should press all the water out. Or you could buy a tofu press which does it for you. The only thing I've ever done with tofu is make salt and pepper tofu. This is similar to the recipe I use. I haven't hear of it being used in smoothies, but I don't see why not, it might make a good yogurt substitute
#3 Old 07-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

And oh, I found something if someone's wondering the same as I did:

Soy Tofu Smoothie Recipe

1 cup soft Tofu
1/2 a banana
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup soy yogurt
1/2 cup strawberries

Directions:

Blend the tofu, soy milk, yogurt, half the strawberries, and banana until lightly smooth. Add the remaining strawberries and blend till very smooth. The flavor should be much like a strawberry smoothie as the flavor of both the soy yogurt and tofu will not overwhelm the strawberry flavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

To press tofu, I get a flat plate and put paper towels folded in a few layers on the plate. Then I put the tofu I want on the paper towel plate(I usually strain the tofu in a collander/strainer first to get some of the dripping excess water off before pressing out the rest). Take another flat plate and put it directly on top of the tofu. Then put something heavy on the top plate. I usually use a new bulk box or bag of something because it seems to be the best way to distribute the right amount of weight on the whole plate. I leave it there for a while, until the tofu is pretty dry and firm compared to what you started out with. The first few times I made tofu I had no idea how to drain them by pressing. The instructions just said "with paper towels" which I thought just meant typical draining, in a collander, and then I covered them with paper towels and lightly applied pressure while drying. I wondered why the tofu was so crumbly and didn't soak the flavors correctly. Pressing makes all the difference, though, then the tofu is the right texture and acts like a sponge.

Also, I like to stick with basics, sear in a bit of soy sauce. Don't use too much soy sauce, though, I didn't realize how flavorful they get and how the flavors are absorbed so well by tofu and I ended up with overly powerful flavored tofu. You can lightly roll tofu in a bit of flour before putting the soy sauce to sear. Many recipes say to sear in oil, but with me it always ends up with an oily taste, even with just a bit of oil, so until I perfect using oil I just use some soy sauce in a smaller pan with some flour (the flour also seems to help keep it from getting too overly seasoned).

Another way to cook tofu is to deep fry it, great if you have a deep frier. Roll the tofu in some flour or cornstarch and then deef fry it.

I've heard baking tofu is another good way to cook it, you can roll it in some bread crumbs and cook it, and basic good seasonings like garlic salt or seasoning salt can be used to season tofu in all different cooked ways. There's lots of recipes that I've found, but I tend to just mix and match a bit with some things that ask for uncommon ingredients and experiment until I find good ways of cooking it. So far my favorite ways of cooking are the searing in soy sauce with the tofu rolled in a bit of flour, deep frying the tofu, or dipping the tofu in water, rolling in breadcrumbs, and frying the tofu or just quickly searing it in a grill.

Once it's cooked tofu is great to use in many things. When I have cubed tofu, I usually sear it in soy sauce and then mix it with some brown rice with soy sauce in the rice for an easy meal or side. Deep fried "steaks" of tofu can be good on their own with some sides of veggies or rice or whatever you want to pair it with. More breaded tofu, the ones with breadcrumbs, can be good as part of a meal with veggie sides, too, and I've also seen some recipes with using this tofu with black beans, corn, and rice, either on its own on a plate, or all wrapped together in a tortilla wrap. As to things like smoothies and stuff, I don't know much about that, but I know you can use tofu in things like vegan cheesecake.

I'm still very new with cooking with tofu and haven't had it very much, I've only gotten a box of tofu twice, so I know it's frustrating it is cooking tofu. Just experiment with different seasoning combinations, cooking methods, ideas, and food pairings until you find what you like. I'm typically the type of person that follows exact recipes while cooking anything, I'm too afraid to make adjustments usually, but with tofu I've found that you kind of how to experiment with it because it can be a bit odd and challenging when first cooking tofu.
#5 Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I like to press it out with paper-towel and then deep fry (marinading of soy/lime/rice wine vinegar eventually covered with corn starch)
#6 Old 08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

You can go to vegweb.com and find tons of tofu recipes. Here are some of my favorites.

Orange Style Chicken Tofu
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=15978.0

Chocolate Silk Pie
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6429.0

Tofu Pumpkin Pie
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6174.0

Scrambled Tofu
http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/scrambled-tofu/
LadyJane1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page