Cashew Cream Garlicky Alfredo Sauce - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Beginner

Errrm I'm making this for dinner tonight, can anyone tell me if this is enough sauce for 500g of pasta (I'm feeding mostly 2 adults but 3 kids as well). Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I would imagine this to

1. Not be fatty enough

and

2. Be more akin to a mock cheddar than alfredo.

It's mostly blended nuts. And olive oil. Plenty rich in my book. Any "fatter" and I wouldn't be able to choke the stuff down, it'd be like eating butter.

And I've had a "mock cheddar" sauce that IS similar but it's really not the same. The olive oil and garlic wouldn't add much to a "chedder"-type taste. Actually, I don't use the nutritional yeast because I think that DOES make it too "cheddar-y" tasting. YMMV

Quote:
Errrm I'm making this for dinner tonight, can anyone tell me if this is enough sauce for 500g of pasta (I'm feeding mostly 2 adults but 3 kids as well). Thanks!!

I would imagine you'd need more than one recipe? It all depends on if they like it I guess... One of my kids eats a teeny bit of it - another could eat the entire recipe if I let her...
#33 Old 04-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Beginner

Thank you! I'll make a double batch (it's likely the kids won't eat it as they're away and I'm not sure if they'll be home).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely fantastic. I made it with boiling coconut milk instead of the water and added a bit of Braggs sauce, and ended up "sampling" so much of it, I needed to add some leftover tofu pesto (that you also posted) and zucchini to make it stretch for the party I had originally made it for. It got even better with the pesto somehow.
#35 Old 08-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm SOOO glad you liked it! We've been adding pesto (or just basil) to this all summer. It IS really yummy that way.

It's REALLY good over brocolli too!
#36 Old 08-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Beginner

this is a great recipe, i've made it a few times -- even my omni spouse likes it!

i will try it with the coconut milk... sounds yummy.

i'll also look for the tofu pesto recipe -- luv pesto!
#37 Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghelfling View Post

this is a great recipe, i've made it a few times -- even my omni spouse likes it!

i will try it with the coconut milk... sounds yummy.

i'll also look for the tofu pesto recipe -- luv pesto!

http://tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com/2...nner-with.html

One of my pesto recipes is in this blog post... (about half-way down the page)
#38 Old 09-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Just an update;

My friend made this and used macadamia nuts and she said I HAD to tell everyone that it was WONDERFUL and they had to try it!

So, there ya go. If you're wanting to splurge (at least in my market, macadamias are insanely expensive, but I bet they're good!!)
#39 Old 10-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Just made a whole bunch of this and it was really good. The tiny little food processor I have is a too small to really handle the job but it was delicious. The only changes I made was to omit the nut. yeast (I don't like that stuff), and I added a TBS of veganaise, a touch of crushed red pepper, and a dash of nutmeg..... YUM!!!!! Served over rotini pasta with red, yellow, and green peppers.

Here's a picture. Even though the cashews were still a little "bumpy" they weren't crucnchy or chewy. It was very creamy and sooooo tastey Thank you TNS! I love your creativity!
#40 Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 AM

This sounds great, I definately want to try it!
#41 Old 10-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I served it over whole wheat shells and ate it with a spoon, so that I could get plenty of sauce with each bite.

Really easy and really good! Thanks for posting!
#42 Old 10-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

It's very very good. I was happy with how easy it was to make too. One of those things that, so long as I have cashews on hand, I could always make. My Husband liked it too We will both probably have the leftovers for dinner.
#43 Old 10-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Wheeeeeeee... I'm just glad you like it! We made scalloped garlic potatoes tonight and they were SOOO tasty!
#44 Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Here's my go at this recipe:

Garlicy Alfredo Fettucine with blackened tofu and spinach.

I know this is somewhat old but how do you blacken tofu? I used to love blackened food while omni and would love a veggie fix I've googled but I can't seem to find anything that looks as good as that!

Rebbecca
#45 Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 PM

Me too i'd love to know how to 'blacken' tofu. Sounds yummy!

For the sauce, once I processed everything I dumped all the ingredients into a small saucepan and added a tablespoon or so of flour to thicken it up some more. I whisked away on low heat and it gradually got to a desirable consistency. I have to say I added LOTS more garlic, s&p, and lemon juice. For me, the amounts listed weren't strong enough to make the sauce 'zing'. But adjusting those few things helped.

Thanks for the idea behind this recipe! I thought once I went Vegan all bets were off in terms of 'white' sauces!

#46 Old 02-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Beginner

I really want to make this for my (OMNI) family on my cook night.

And we have a whole jar of cashew butter that I need to use up, so how much of the butter should I use? 1/2 cup?

I've so been craving a creamy sauce, I think I'll do it with spinach fettuccine and brocolli YUM
#47 Old 02-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't used cashew butter in this recipe, sorry, but you could try it? Couldn't hurt.

If it is made from roasted cashews (as is most cashew butter), it will give quite a different flavor I assume, but should still be good. Yum.
#48 Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Beginner

Ok cool

I've got some raw cashews on hand if I need to add some anyway.

It says "made from lightly roasted cashews" so we'll see how it goes!
#49 Old 03-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Beginner

Made this tonight.

It was really yummy, except the sauce dried out really quickly. I think I screwed up the quantities using the cashew butter instead of raw cashew, and put into too much cashew butter, but it was still very yum! I made a big batch so it would last me for a few lunches this week

Next time I will try it with raw cashews, when I have some spare cash!
#50 Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Dang. I wish I'd tried this the other day instead of the recipe I used. This one sounds much yummier! Next time...

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#51 Old 06-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I am going to make a batch of this sauce over the weekend.

Sounds fantastic.
#52 Old 06-22-2008, 03:43 AM

Thanks for this amazing recipe! I made this today, but I left out the oil, so maybe this was the reason that the sauce dried out quickly while I was preparing some veggies. My boyfriend loved it, but I thought it's better when it was really creamy, right after I prepared it. So next time I'll add some oil or eat it right away (out of the pot.. ).
#53 Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

---- Bumping -----

Someone said they couldn't fine it...
#54 Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

*adds cashews to the grocery list* Dang, I just went to the store today. If only I'd known!
#55 Old 01-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

This works (though not *quite* the same, I admit) with raw sunflower seeds - or raw macadamia nuts that have been soaked overnight...

Of course, f your pantry is anything like mine, you're more likely to have cashews than raw, soaked macadamia nuts handy. But it's an option of you want...
#56 Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm torn, this one or your mac and cheeze one this week?

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#57 Old 09-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I just wanted to suggest something to anyone making cashew cream for sauces and bases. You should soak them overnight for best results in texture and flavor. If that takes too long (as it usually does..lol) Pour a cup of cashews into a pot of water and boil for 30 minutes. Then drain them and pop em into a blender with some fresh water (just enough to cover them) and pluse until smooth and creamy This is a great base in soups (corn chowder/tomato bisque/etc) and it's a base for any flavor sauce you can imagine! I am a huge fan of garlicing this up and adding some vegan parm. to it...mmmmmmmm!

Just my 2 cents!

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#58 Old 09-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegantigress, thanks for the tip! When I made my chipotle cream on Tuesday i didn't pre-soak, i thought the flavor was harsh on its own but supreme on day two.. Is this because of the lack of soaking?

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#59 Old 09-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post

Vegantigress, thanks for the tip! When I made my chipotle cream on Tuesday i didn't pre-soak, i thought the flavor was harsh on its own but supreme on day two.. Is this because of the lack of soaking?

That would be my guess Short, Soaking basically removes a lot of the nut flavour and leave the texture. Afterall, I just want the cream texture while I add my own flavors

Soak em and try again

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#60 Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Banned

I made this last night for my friend, a hard core dedicated he-man, and he ate *3* plates full, and finished my leftovers. I think it was a success! I made a little bit of roux, about 2 tablespoons of earth balance and a bit of flour, and the thickness was perfect. Honestly, it was uncannily similar to one made with cow cream. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't make it myself.

Tags
Chicago-Soy-Dairy-Teese-Mozzarella-Vegan-Cheese , Vegan-Recipes , Pasta-for-All-Seasons-125-Vegetarian-Pasta-Recipes-for-Family-and-Friends , Vegetarian-Recipes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page