#1 Old 06-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Spicy Peanut Noodles

Category: Main dishes - Pasta

Suitable for: a vegan diet

Cook time: 10-15 minutes

Serves: 1-2

Cost: About $2 max

The perfect recipe for anyone constantly on-the-go... There's no cheaper, simpler recipe IMO! I just sort of threw this together today thinking it might be good, so it may need some adjusting for those of you who actually know how to cook!

<--This I am not, and I'm not going to even try to pretend!

---------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

- Peanut Sauce (3 tbsp - to taste)

- Ramen Noodles (or any noodles really) (1 package; don't need the flavor packet)

- Firm tofu (about 1/3 of package)

---------------------------------------------------

Directions:

1) Heat water on high in a small pan.

2) Cube the tofu and press out water with a towel.

3) Set tofu in a small bowl of peanut sauce to soak (for only a couple minutes; I'm not sure how necessary this step is yet..)

4) Place ramen noodles in boiling water.

5) Heat olive oil in a skillet on high.

6) Fry the tofu and peanut sauce in the skillet for about 2-3 minutes, or until tofu starts to brown (You might want to turn the heat down to about medium).

7) Strain the ramen noodles right after the block of noodles breaks apart (make sure not to let the noodles get too soft in the pan).

8) Add the ramen noodles to the skillet with the tofu and add more peanut sauce (enough to cover all of the noodles).

9) Cook the noodles and tofu another 1-2 minutes on medium/low heat.

10) Serve hot!

--------------------------------------------------

Like I said, I just tried this out today - I LOVED it personally - But I'd love to hear if anyone has any suggestions for ingredients to add to it or better ways to make it.

I really like that it's so ridiculously easy to make, but I wouldn't mind spending a few more minutes on it if it could be that much better. Hope you enjoy it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, since you asked for suggestions If you added some frozen veggies to it, it would be a little more balanced

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 06-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

That's funny you say that! You're totally right... it's actually one of the first dishes I've made in a while without veggies, because I made it for the bf and he's not a vegetable kind of guy in the least bit! I'll definitely have to throw in veggies next time I make it (well, 1/2 for me, 1/2 without for him!) Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

We make a more complicated spicy peanut noodle recipe at our place, and we find steamed kale and bean sprouts go really well with it.
#5 Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea, I like that this recipe is so simple - perfect for me (very busy, but lazy, college student ). I would like to find ways to make it more complex and tasty for days that I do have more time to put into it. I never considered bean sprouts!! I bought some a while back and just couldn't seem to find the right dishes to put them in (tried them in Miso... eww, very bad idea). I'll have to try that!
#6 Old 07-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Yum, this sounds delicious...I'll have to try it soon. I love everything spicy!
#7 Old 07-03-2006, 01:26 AM

I love the sound of this, but I'm assuming it's pre bought peanut sauce? I'll have a go at making my own sauce as this sound lovely:- Noodles and satay, I love both of those , but I'm having an economy drive at them moment so will need to make it up as I go along...

Hellz
#8 Old 07-03-2006, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz View Post

I love the sound of this, but I'm assuming it's pre bought peanut sauce? I'll have a go at making my own sauce as this sound lovely:- Noodles and satay, I love both of those , but I'm having an economy drive at them moment so will need to make it up as I go along...

Hellz

Here's the recipe for the sauce I make. Serves two:

In a saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup natural smooth peanut butter, 1/3 cup coconut milk, 1/4 cup veggie broth, 1.5 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of lime juice, 1 tsp. sugar or other sweetener, 1-2 cloves crushed garlic, 1/2 tsp coriander powder. 1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tbsp + fresh, frozen or dried basil. Heat until warmed and slightly thickened.

Everyone I know who has tried this recipe LOVES it.
#9 Old 07-03-2006, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Here's the recipe for the sauce I make.

Thanks! I'll certainly be giving that a go

Cheers,

Hellz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page