#1 Old 12-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Kid-Friendly Peanut Noodles

Category: Main Dishes - Pasta

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

1/2 cup vegetable or veggie-chicken-style broth

1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger root (substituting dry ground ginger will NOT work well here)

3 tablespoons soy sauce

3 tablespoons peanut butter

1 1/2 tablespoons brown rice syrup, maple syrup or agave necter (or corn syrup works in a pinch)

2 teaspoons hot chile paste (vegetarian - from an asian market or well-stocked supermarket) or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp. fresh lime juice or red wine vinegar

8 ounces Udon noodles, thin vermicelli noodles or rice sticks (like for Pad Thai)

1/4 cup chopped green onions

1/4 cup chopped peanuts

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Instructions:

For noodles: cook according toi package directions for whatever type of noodles you have.

Drain.

Meanwhile, combine broth, ginger, soy sauce, peanut butter, syrup, chili paste, lime juice and garlic in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until peanut butter melts and is heated through.

Add noodles, and toss to coat. Garnish with green onions, cilantro and peanuts.

Additional comments:

OK - this recipe is pretty spicy but my kids LOVE it... - it may not be "kid friendly" for ALL kids - adjust the heat to their preference...

I love this recipe because it's so versatile - you can make it many different ways, depending on what ingredients you have on hand and it's all good.

My older kids make this from memory, my youngest begs for it almost every day after school.

We usually add LOTS of lightly sauteed veggies in any combination that suits us - red pepper strips, pea pods, green beans, bean sprouts, red onion and/or brocolli.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Someone just asked if plain ol' spaghetti would work here... and yes - it works just fine.
#3 Old 12-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Banned

Looks great. I bet it goes well with chile oil. ...Although looks like it has some heat already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks - actually I sometimes use chile oil but it seems to have a different "heat" to it that my kids don't care for as well? Weird, I know, especially since they'll drink straight Tabasco if I let 'em...
#5 Old 12-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Banned

Nice...

I didn't go for hot foods until I got older.

Your recipe is not stingy on the garlic... ...I like that. Thai lime thing going on too.

I made Peanut Noodles 2 nights ago from Vegan Deli's recipe. It wasn't bad. But next time I'll give the one up top a whirl.

Here's Vegan Deli's version...

Quote:
Noodles in Peanut Sauce

Makes 8 servings

1/2 cup peanut butter

2 Tbs natural soy sauce

2 Tbs toasted sesame oil

1 Tbs rice vinegar

1 tsp pure maple syrup or rice syrup

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp crushed garlic

Cayenne pepper (to taste)

Water

12 oz. thin whole wheat spaghetti

Thinly sliced scallions (optional)

Toasted sesame seeds (optional)

1. In large bowl, combine penut butter, soy sauce or braggs, oil, vinegar, ginger, syrup, garlic, cayenne. Whip together until smooth. Wisk in warm water until it's a pourable sauce.

2. Cook Spaghetti.

3. Put Noodles in bowl, pour sauce over, and sprinkle with scallians and toasted sesame seeds. (Fresh julienne carrots go well as garnish too.) Can be chilled for 1/2 hour before serving, or eaten right away.

#6 Old 12-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

mmmmm - that looks good - especially with the sesame seeds and sesame oil! If I think about it next time I make Peanut Noodles, I'll DEFINITELY throw some in... why didn't I think of that?
#7 Old 03-08-2006, 11:59 AM

I have made similar things, but I tried yours and the ginger seems to make all the difference. Actually, I made yours twice since you posted...the first time I put too much chili paste (I used Thai Kitchen) because I accidentally read 2 tablespoons instead of 2 teaspoons. Now, I was smart enough to know that 2 tablespoons was too much, so I put in two HEAPING teaspoons and was sniffling and crying during my meal. It was actually quite good but too spicey. The second time I followed your instructions and it was excellent.

I also added fried tofu both times...I found that if I friend the tofu separately and friend it IN drops of the sauce, it cooked the spicey goodness into the tofu. Good stuff.
#8 Old 03-17-2006, 08:51 AM

I made this last night and it was soooo good! I'm making some more for dinner.
#9 Old 03-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

It is rather addicting. When I make it my kids will get in this groove where they want it two or three days in a row...
#10 Old 03-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

This looks yummy. Have you ever made it without cilantro? My grocery store is often out of fresh herbs (aside from parsley).
#11 Old 03-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

The cilantro DEFINITELY adds something...

However once I made it at my Mom's and she didn't have cilantro so we used fresh parsley (the curley kind, not the flat leaf) and everyone loved it.

I thought it was "missing" something, but probably only because I was used to the recipe tasting a certain way...

Hey - give it a try!
#12 Old 03-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I just made this and it was really gingery, nicely spicy, and overall yummy. For veggies, I added some microwaved Europe's Best Zen Garden veggies.

There are some pictures of my plate in my photo album:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y2/msbunnicula/Food/
#13 Old 03-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

I just made this and it was really gingery, nicely spicy, and overall yummy. For veggies, I added some microwaved Europe's Best Zen Garden veggies.

There are some pictures of my plate in my photo album:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y2/msbunnicula/Food/

Beautiful! You're pics convinced me to try this!
#14 Old 03-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

My teens have been making this lately with the Morniing Star farms Chik'n Strips added to it... and when I'm out of other noodles, they just use a pkg. of Ramen noodles (and toss out the seasoning packet).

I was just thinking yesterday that this must be one of the most popular recipes in my house...
#15 Old 06-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

We eat our own type of peanut noodles ALL the time! It really is a very hearty and gratifying meal. Ours is a fast-food version, though: I let the ramen seasoning pack take care of most of the flavorings, and only add a tablespoon of peanut butter, a little sesame oil, and cayenne pepper.

I'm going to try adding fresh cilantro, since I have some growing!
#16 Old 06-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good.

But SunnyK, are those things (the ramen seasoning) vegetarian? I guess the one blue package is. Eh. Don't use the little packet though. Solid MSG and salt. Ack!
#17 Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Some ramen seasoning packs are, some aren't. You just have to look at the ingredients.
#18 Old 06-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay, I finally made this today, and it's delicious!

I just made a few personal taste adjustments; no cilantro, no chili paste (mostly because I couldn't find any, so I went with cayenne pepper), and 1 clove of garlic instead of 3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page