1 teaspoon dried thyme

2 cups wheat gluten flour

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1 1/2 cup water, or more as needed

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon ketchup or tomato sauce

Instructions:

-----------------------------------------------------

1. Arrange the onion, carrots, and potatoes in the bottom of a lightly oiled slow cooker. Season the vegetables to taste with salt and pepper and add the stock, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme.

2. In a large bowl, combine the wheat gluten flour, onion powder, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Add the water, soy sauce, and ketchup. Mix well, adding a little more water if the mixture is too dry, then knead for 2 minutes until smooth. Shape the gluten to fit inside your cooker and place on top of the vegetables. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the seitan and vegetables are cooked.

3. To serve, remove the vegetables and seitan from the slow cooker. Cut the seitan into slices and arrange them on a serving platter. Surround with the vegetables and spoon the cooking liquid over all.

Additional comments:

-----------------------------------------------------

Adjust the veggies to your own taste. I don't like cooked carrots, but I love onions, so I used one whole yellow onion and one whole red onion.

I didn't have new potatoes, so I used regular old potatoes, peeled, and it turned out just fine.

I also upped the amount of garlic. I used a little over twice as much as the recipe calls for.

The cooking time for my crockpot was eight hours.

And lastly, in order to thicken up the cooking liquid a bit, I mashed a few of the potato pieces into it and made something of a "gravy". This dish was a real hit, even with my nine year old omni step-son.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 PM

What do you mean by shape the wheat gluten to fit in it. Are you keeping it as a whole or do you cut it up?
#3 Old 11-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyShy1985 View Post

Are you keeping it as a whole or do you cut it up?

I keep it whole and shape it so that it's roundish and fits pretty much completely over the top of the veggies in the crockpot. There's just a bit of room around the edges, because it tends to grow a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM

I'll have to try this. Thank you.
#5 Old 02-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey! This is the exact recipe from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson, besides the tweaked cooking time...

http://veganplanet.blogspot.com/2008...pot-roast.html
#6 Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Hey. Thanks for the link. I've never seen this site before, but there are some fantastic recipes here.

*goes to read*
#7 Old 05-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

im making this right now, i put garlic powder in the seitan instead of onion(didnt have any) i cooked the veggies a little more before putting the seitan in because my crock pot is tiny and they needed to cook down.

it smells good!!
#8 Old 05-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I think next time I make this, I will wrap my seitan in cheese cloth before placing it in the crock pot to cook. It expanded soo much and the texture was too brainy, I'd like it to be more dense and uniform.
#9 Old 05-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

brainy

sorry...
#10 Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

wasnt so great actually.

i think i just dont like seitan lol, second recipe ive tried i didnt really love
#11 Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's a good link with recipes, maybe it was just that it was just a huge piece? I think it's hard to knead. These recipes look yum, especially the BBQ ones.

http://www.vrg.org/recipes/vjseitan.htm
#12 Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

wasnt so great actually.

i think i just dont like seitan lol, second recipe ive tried i didnt really love

It took me a while to find a seitan recipe I liked, not just flavor-wise, but texture. Here's a pretty well praised recipe that is one of my favorites. We like to slice it thin for sandwiches; like philly cheesesteaks or french dips. Thought you might like to try it, it's good!http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum...p?id=15959&p=1
#13 Old 09-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I have this in my crockpot now. Do I need to try and squeeze some of the liquid out after it cooks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page