Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-06-2007, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian Irish Stew - crockpot

Category: Main Dishes - Other

Suitable for a: vegetarian diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

1 - pkg Morningstar Farms Griller Crumbles, or your favorite meat substitute, up to two pounds.

2 cups onion, chopped

2 cups potatos, chopped

2 cups celery, chopped

2 cups carrots, chopped

1 cup sliced mushrooms

2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp sugar

3 cups tomato juice/sauce

2 cups canned or frozen peas

Instructions:

Cut up all the veggies (except for the peas) into 2-inch chunks and add to crockpot. Open Morningstar package and pour on top of veggies in crockpot. Add the salt, pepper, sugar and tomato sauce. Cook on low for 6-9 hours (I let it go for the full 9 hours because I usually cook this while I'm at work). About 15-30 minutes before you're ready to eat, add the peas into the crockpot and let cook for those last 15-30 minutes.

Additional comments:

Although I always make this in my crockpot, the original recipe said it can be cooked it in a 250 degree oven for 6 hours.

This goes GREAT with that No-Knead Bread recipe that appeared in the New York Times last fall.

I don't know how to post photos here, but I posted a photo of this stew on my blog:

http://veggiecookster.blogspot.com/

Blog: www.imarriedanomnivore.com
Twitter: @vegwife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, yay! I made this stew last winter and couldn't get enough of it. It was soooo good. I was looking for the recipe again and finally found it! Sadly, I'm without a crockpot this time around, but I'll use my oven if I find the time. Thank you!
#3 Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Beginner

this sounds extra yummy!! i always like seeing pictures so i went and saw it on ur blog and it looked amazing!

I made it this week, thinking my family would eat it, I ate most of it and my mother who made a big fit about it being vegetarian had one bowl and couldn't stop saying how yummy it was.

It was really tasty. I did leave out the peas. I'm not really a pea person. I'm glad to find a stew since I haven't found a vegetarian stew recipe to replace the old one I used to make. I'll be keeping this recipe and using it a lot!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page