Kung Pao Tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-03-2006, 10:54 AM

Kung Pao Tofu

Category: Main Dishes - Other

Suitable for a: vegetarian diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

10oz package plain Baked Tofu (can be gotten cheaply at asian markets)

1 tablespoon light oil for frying -peanut, sesame, canola, etc.

4 tablespoons Kung Pao sauce (your asian market or regular supermarket)

4 oz plain, unsalted, shelled roasted peanuts

4 oz plain, unsalted, roasted cashews

1 green onion, thinly sliced

Instructions:

Slice the tofu into strips about ¼" thick and one inch long, or larger if you prefer. Measure out the other ingredients.

Heat a wok or large saute pan to medium high and add oil. Roll oil in pan to coat completely, and add the tofu. Allow the tofu to cook for a minute or two, or until it no longer wants to stick to the pan and is browned on one side. Flip the tofu and brown the other side. Drain off any excess oil.

Lower the heat to Medium or below, and add the Kung Pao sauce and nuts. Flip or stir until coated and the sauce is reduced so that it's sticking to the tofu, and there is virtually none in the pan. Toss in green onion.

Serve immediately.

Additional comments:

This dish is a great accompaniment to stir fry veggies dishes and steamed or fried rice. I usually also serve it with a chinese cucumber salad, since the cooling cucumber is a nice contrast to the spiciness of the dish.

You can substitute regular firm tofu in this recipe, I would freeze it overnight before use -and make certain to drain it very well before cooking.

You could also use all peanuts, or all cashews if you wanted to, I think traditionally, this dish uses both nuts but it is good with just one type of nut. You could substitute other nuts as well, but some nut flavors work better than others, and these are what I keep returning to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page