Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

"Chick'n and Dumplings" Veggie Style

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian or vegan diet

Category: Main Dishes - Other

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

This is my "veganized" version of the recipe my great-grandma made for many many years...

~~For "Chicken"~~

8 oz. your favorite vegan "chicken" meat substitute or chicken flavor seitan:

(I use: Morningstar Farms Recipe Starters Chick'n Strips)

6 cups vegan chicken-flavored (or vegetable) broth (I use Chef Bonneau's Vegan Chicken Soup Base or McKay's Vegan)

5 whole cloves

2 bay leaves

4 tablespoons margerine

1 onion, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced (of course I use more!!)

1/2 teaspoon each dried or fresh tarragon and thyme

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon pepper

6 boiling potatoes (1 1/2 pounds) cut into 1-inch chunks

4 carrots (1/2 pound) cut into 1-inch chunks

3 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces

10 ounces frozen peas, thawed

1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional but tasty and pretty)

**sometimes I add a cup or two of chopped fresh kale

~~For Dumplings~~

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup shortening (Crisco is vegan - sorry, but it works better than Earth Balance for this recipe)

3/4 cup soymilk + 1 Tb. lemon juice or vinegar

1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional but pretty)

Instructions:

~~Chicken~~

Put the mock "chicken", broth, cloves and bay leaves in a 4 to 5-quart stock pot with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer gently, partially covered, for 20 min or so while prepping veggies.

Transfer the mock "chicken" to a plate. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl.

Melt the margerine in the stockpot. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tarragon and thyme; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and pepper and cook for 12 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the reserved broth that you cooked the mock chicken in. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, to make a smooth, thin sauce. Add the potatoes, carrots and celery (and greens if you use them) to the sauce. Simmer over low heat, partially covered, for 2025 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but still firm.

Tear or cut the mock chicken into bite-size pieces and add to the vegetables. Stir in the peas and parsley. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer.

~~Dumplings~~

For the dumplings, mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly. Make a well in the center and pour in the soymilk. Add the parsley. Stir quickly with a fork until the ingredients are just mixed.

Using a tablespoon, drop the batter into the broth/gravy to make 16 small dumplings, leaving space between them. Cover the pot and simmer, (over as low a flame as possible) without lifting lid, stirring or disturbing, for 1520 minutes. Spoon the "chicken", veggies, gravy and dumplings into bowls and serve at once.

Additional comments:

Definitely "comfort" food!!!

This is almost a whole meal... add salad and bread and you're good to go.

Soooooo yummy and warm and good - my kids love this on cold winter evenings.

After you've made it a few times you can experiment with the amounts of veggies and put in whatever you like... I often add chunks of peeled winter squash, chopped kale, mushrooms, pearl onions or leeks.

Recipe source: This recipe is mine or I have altered it from its original version.

If you try this recipe please come back and leave a review!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmm, I made this last night and it was so yummy! I used chopped-up Boca chik patties and left out the celery ( because cooked celery scares me). The whole family loved it- thanks!
#3 Old 12-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Beginner

I just had this tonight and it was sooo good!! Even the meat-eaters in this house loved it! I did exactly what the recipe called for and very tasty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Why thank you, thank you...

I'm so glad you liked it. This is one of my favorites (my kids too). I haven't made it in a few weeks, though - looks like I need to get cooking!
#5 Old 03-15-2006, 05:11 PM

I just made this for the first time tonight and it turned out excellent! Thank you!

I did leave out the celery and a few other small things, such as the cloves, but added some of my own spices that I had.

Here's a picture of how mine turned out

[attachment=4211:215688.jpg]
LL
#6 Old 03-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

This sounds awesome! Is it possible to make Matzoh Ball Soup vegan?
#7 Old 03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Karen - just make a "chicken" broth with any veg. chicken-flavored broth and you can buy Matzo ball mix at the store, which I *think* is vegan... instead of the egg that it calls for when mixing, use blended tofu.

Sorry I don't have the products in front of me but I make it all the time (another of my kids favorites) and it's definitely vegan.
#8 Old 03-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

karenlovesnow, there is a vegan recipe for matzoh ball soup in vegan with a vengeance also on her website here http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=147.
#9 Old 03-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
#10 Old 03-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I made "Chicken" and dumplings for my bf on Monday night for his bday ... didn't even see this recipe I just winged it.

I did it a bit different though. I browned the chick'n first, and then sauteed the veggies (carrots, celery, corn, peas), then added everything back in and dumped the broth in, then added my dumplings (which were flour, soy milk, baking powder, EB, onion/garlic powder) and cooked them then added a handful of fresh parsley before serving.

My only change for the future would be not adding the browned chick'n until JUST before it is served because it got rather water logged and squishy!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 03-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Made it today hubby and daughter and I had it for lunch. Very omni friendly recipe. Hubby really liked it. Thanx. plus we have leftovers even. It makes a lot.
#12 Old 05-09-2006, 08:11 AM

sounds good...will have to try! thanks
#13 Old 05-09-2006, 08:11 AM

sounds good...will have to try! thanks
#14 Old 08-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this the other night. Yum!! I used 'chicken cutlets' though they became kinda mushy when mixed in with it all. I'll try making it with chewier/tougher 'chicken strips' next time and hopefully they'll hold up better. I love dumplings

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#15 Old 08-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I am totally going to try this.

I used to love chicken and dumplings, and haven't had them in over a decade!

And, by the way, the Matzoh Ball Soup in Vegan with a Vengeance is divine. I make it on a somewhat regular basis, despite the fact that the recipe is pretty time-consuming.
#16 Old 08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

It just occurred to me this would taste great as a pot pie filling. I have had the idea a while but not the time to try it. The idea excites me so much I must share it all with you...so when I try it I'll post how it went. Or if someone beats me to it, tell me how it was! I don't know how to incorporate the dumplings in it. I plan to just make extra 'chikn' stew stuff and dump that into pot pies then eat the rest as usual with dumplings...ohhh why did the grocery store have to be out of fake chicken!

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#17 Old 08-27-2007, 12:34 PM

I'm just wondering, would this freeze okay?

L.C
#18 Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you cook the morningstar farms chicken strips in a pan before you put them in the broth? It seems like they would break down and get gooey?
#19 Old 09-22-2007, 07:47 AM

This recipe is absolutely amazing. I'm from the south, so my whole family has always made chicken and dumplings and I missed it when I went veggie. I'm making it for my grandmother today for her birthday. I know she'll love it too!
#20 Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this tonight and it turned out pretty good. I like this recipe because it can be diverse.

I used 1 can of Worthington Fri Chik for my mock chicken.

I also used half Mckays chicken flavored broth and half vegetable broth made from bouillion cubes.

I think next time I will cut the recipe in half since I have enough left overs to the three of us for a week!

Thanks for sharing!
#21 Old 12-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Shamandura; It freezes pretty well (I usually scoop the "dumpling" part out and freeze the soupy part - makes a great "gravy" type thing over potatoes later on...)
#22 Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 AM

this does sound really really good.... i cant wait to make it!
#23 Old 06-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

*bump* because someone just PM'd me for the recipe...
#24 Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

omg. and just yesterday i saw on some home cooking show these old-fashioned chicken and dumplings and i was so wanting to find a veg*n version. eee!
#25 Old 07-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

It just occurred to me this would taste great as a pot pie filling. I have had the idea a while but not the time to try it. The idea excites me so much I must share it all with you...so when I try it I'll post how it went. Or if someone beats me to it, tell me how it was! I don't know how to incorporate the dumplings in it. I plan to just make extra 'chikn' stew stuff and dump that into pot pies then eat the rest as usual with dumplings...ohhh why did the grocery store have to be out of fake chicken!

A pot pie sounds really good right now.

I'm definitely going to try this out sometime!

ETA: I'm making a halved recipe tonight, and I'm going to just brown the chikn and cut it, then add it in just before it is served. I'll probably put more than the recipe calls for because I love morningstar mock chicken
#26 Old 07-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

For some reason, when I tried to make it and added the broth in with the flour and everything, it didn't thicken. So I mixed some instant chicken gravy (vegan) with cold water and added that in. Turned out perfectly! Thank goodness I was able to fix it!

I added mushrooms, took out the celery (the only vegetable I refuse to eat), and used some frozen peas and carrots instead of cooking the carrots. I didn't have any tarragon. I doubled the already halved dumpling recipe and made a LOT of dumplings! Oh, and I cut up an entire bag of chik'n strips after browning them lightly in oil. I added that in only after everything else was done and simmered it for about a minute. They had the perfect texture afterwards, and tasted ridiculously close to actual chicken. Very satisfying, but it made me really sleepy so I had trouble cleaning up afterward.

My omnivore Aunt said she loved it and I did a good job. Yay! Definitely a keeper.
#27 Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Banned

ummm this is not veggeterian it has CHICKEN in it and sry for my username i am NOW vegeterian poor animal just brought in the world to be killed
#28 Old 09-05-2008, 09:40 PM

I found this recipe following a link from ....somewhere today, and made it for dinner.

Incredible!

I didn't have tarrigon, so I replaced it with poultry seasoning, didn't have any cloves, so I used a shake or two of pumpkin pie spice (I know weird, but hey it worked!)

I used McKays and a heaping palmful of nutritional yeast. My mock chicken was 'chiken strips' from Healthy Eating... www.healthy-eating.com, I ended up needing a little extra broth because the strips tend to soak up quite a bit, extra garlic, and went with the kale. Used dried parsley in the dumplings.

And salt, I added salt to the broth, because I thought it needed a touch. And left out the peas, because I only had canned and I think frozen would have been better.

Absolutely Delicious. So worth the time, and effort.

Thank you so much for sharing this, my son told me tonight it is one of his new favorites!
#29 Old 09-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

You know, I have a bag of Morningstar strips in my freezer and I've been waiting for a good recipe. This sounds really good, especially since the weather is starting to get cooler.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#30 Old 09-27-2008, 11:55 AM

I can't wait to try this! Just wondering - if I use regular milk rather than soymilk, should I still use the lemon juice?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page