"Chicken" 'n Dumplings - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 09-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

The soymilk + vinegar = buttermilk or sour milk for the biscuits. If you use regular milk, go ahead and use the vinegar to "sour" it (it'll curdle) just like in the soymilk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I realize this is an old "bump", but I was wondering about using the Morningstar chik'n strips as well?

I know someone earlier in the thread asked about when should we add these, but I didn't see the answer.

So should we brown the chik'n strips and then add them right before serving?

Or do you think that they would hold up for the duration of the cooking of the dumplings?

Oh & TNS, thanks a ton for this recipe. I've been soooo craving chik'n & dumplings! Mmmm, warm, comfort food!
#33 Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

Yes, I realize this is an old "bump", but I was wondering about using the Morningstar chik'n strips as well?

I know someone earlier in the thread asked about when should we add these, but I didn't see the answer.

So should we brown the chik'n strips and then add them right before serving?

Or do you think that they would hold up for the duration of the cooking of the dumplings?

Oh & TNS, thanks a ton for this recipe. I've been soooo craving chik'n & dumplings! Mmmm, warm, comfort food!

I just browned them once everything else was done and added them, and then cooked for another five minutes or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

I just browned them once everything else was done and added them, and then cooked for another five minutes or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts Chicken and Dumpling Recipe View Post

"Tear or cut the mock chicken into bite-size pieces and add to the vegetables. Stir in the peas and parsley. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer!"

I sorta boil them in the broth to make them soft, cool and shred/tear into pieces, add back to the vegetables as stated in recipe; Browning them and adding in at the end would be fine too, I'm sure.
#35 Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank-you to Mrrple & Tofu-N-Sprouts for your help on this recipe!

I think I'll havta give it a try, since I've been really having a craving for some chik'n & dumplings.

Mmm, mmm, mmmmm..........................

Thanks again TNS for sharing it with us!
#36 Old 03-20-2009, 01:01 PM

Can't wait to try this!! I am thrilled with how many great recipes I am finding on this site, thanks for sharing!
#37 Old 07-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Why thank you, thank you...

I'm so glad you liked it. This is one of my favorites (my kids too). I haven't made it in a few weeks, though - looks like I need to get cooking!

Yes!

Good recipe.

http://www.ichatcatering.com
#38 Old 11-14-2009, 06:57 AM

I made this last night for the first time, it was amazing. Thanks!
#39 Old 01-01-2010, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Glad it worked for you, it's still a regular favorite here too...
#40 Old 01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmmm this was so good! I added more potatoes and left out some of the peas, but it was still fantastic. Great recipe!
#41 Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG. Must. Try. Chik'n and Dumplings.

Seriously, I didn't even realize I'd been yearning for this old omni favorite until I read this. Now I must have it one night this week. This is not an option.
#42 Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 AM

This sounds great! I can't wait to try it, my whole family loves chicken and dumplings
#43 Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned

for more click on that: vegetarian lunches

LENTIL and CHICKPEA DHAL

Serves 4

Preparation time: 5 minutes

Cooking time: 20 minutes

2 tsp peanut oil

1 brown onion, finely chopped

2 tsp finely grated ginger

1/4 cup mild curry paste

400g can diced tomatoes

400g can lentils, rinsed, drained

400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained

250ml can coconut milk

Natural yoghurt, to serve

Cucumber ribbons, to serve

Baby pappadums, to serve

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic.

2. Add the tomatoes, lentils, chickpeas and coconut milk and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

3. Spoon the dhal evenly among serving bowls and serve immediately with yoghurt, cucumber and pappadums, if desired.

( Source: http://www.vegetarianlunches.com )
#44 Old 03-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

Yeah good recipe. Even works with Pheasent.
#45 Old 06-20-2010, 07:01 PM

I agree that this recipe looks great! Dumplings are a favorite of many and it sounds quite delectable. Thanks!
#46 Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Beginner

I have some seitan I made awhile back in the freezer.  It LOOKS like chicken, and I cooked it in mock chicken broth when I made it to purposely give it a chicken flavor.  I used it before to make "chick'n fried chick'n" (Something I invented that came out really good to simulate Cracker Barrels Chicken fried Chicken).  I may pull a jar of these seitan cutlets out of the freezer and use them to make this recipe, I am betting that they would be really good with this!

#47 Old 06-11-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

"Chick'n and Dumplings" Veggie Style

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian or vegan diet

Category: Main Dishes - Other

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

This is my "veganized" version of the recipe my great-grandma made for many many years...

~~For "Chicken"~~

8 oz. your favorite vegan "chicken" meat substitute or chicken flavor seitan:

(I use: Morningstar Farms Recipe Starters Chick'n Strips)

6 cups vegan chicken-flavored (or vegetable) broth (I use Chef Bonneau's Vegan Chicken Soup Base or McKay's Vegan)

5 whole cloves

2 bay leaves

4 tablespoons margerine

1 onion, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced (of course I use more!!)

1/2 teaspoon each dried or fresh tarragon and thyme

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon pepper

6 boiling potatoes (1 1/2 pounds) cut into 1-inch chunks

4 carrots (1/2 pound) cut into 1-inch chunks

3 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces

10 ounces frozen peas, thawed

1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional but tasty and pretty)

**sometimes I add a cup or two of chopped fresh kale

~~For Dumplings~~

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup shortening (Crisco is vegan - sorry, but it works better than Earth Balance for this recipe)

3/4 cup soymilk + 1 Tb. lemon juice or vinegar

1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional but pretty)

Instructions:

~~Chicken~~

Put the mock "chicken", broth, cloves and bay leaves in a 4 to 5-quart stock pot with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer gently, partially covered, for 20 min or so while prepping veggies.

Transfer the mock "chicken" to a plate. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl.

Melt the margerine in the stockpot. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tarragon and thyme; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and pepper and cook for 12 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the reserved broth that you cooked the mock chicken in. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, to make a smooth, thin sauce. Add the potatoes, carrots and celery (and greens if you use them) to the sauce. Simmer over low heat, partially covered, for 2025 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but still firm.

Tear or cut the mock chicken into bite-size pieces and add to the vegetables. Stir in the peas and parsley. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer.

~~Dumplings~~

For the dumplings, mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly. Make a well in the center and pour in the soymilk. Add the parsley. Stir quickly with a fork until the ingredients are just mixed.

Using a tablespoon, drop the batter into the broth/gravy to make 16 small dumplings, leaving space between them. Cover the pot and simmer, (over as low a flame as possible) without lifting lid, stirring or disturbing, for 1520 minutes. Spoon the "chicken", veggies, gravy and dumplings into bowls and serve at once.

Additional comments:

Definitely "comfort" food!!!

This is almost a whole meal... add salad and bread and you're good to go.

Soooooo yummy and warm and good - my kids love this on cold winter evenings.

After you've made it a few times you can experiment with the amounts of veggies and put in whatever you like... I often add chunks of peeled winter squash, chopped kale, mushrooms, pearl onions or leeks.

Recipe source: This recipe is mine or I have altered it from its original version.

If you try this recipe please come back and leave a review!

awesome recipe yum yum bt i wanna know doesn't crisco belong to procetor and  gamble and that they test on animals?

thank you :) :)

#48 Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Hypocrisy and High Horses aren't my thing, So I'm outa here.

#49 Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTransition View Post

If you look it up you will find that Crisco is owned by The J.M. Smucker company.There are many companies that hold stock within the company but Proctor and Gamble are not one of them.

really? that's very good :)

thank you

#50 Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Location: Hypocrisy and High Horses aren't my thing, So I'm outa here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page