"Hey Look! Omni Likes It!" Tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

"Hey Look! Omni Likes It!" Tofu

By:

Category: Main Dishes - Other

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian or vegan.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

1 package extra firm tofu (Not Silken!)

Approximately 1 lb. cremini mushrooms

1 leek

Generous amount of Bragg's or soy sauce

Peanut or high temp canola oil

Wok

Instructions:

Cut tofu into medium-sized cubes, put into a bowl, and pour soy sauce or Bragg's, thoroughly covering the cubes.

Wash cremini mushrooms, then cut in half and set aside in a bowl.

Wash leek thoroughly -- especially where the top greens touch the root, and chop across the width of the leek into wheels -- at most 1/8 inch thick, until you get up to the greens. Save the greens for compost, but keep the wheels.

Layer the bottom of the wok with your cooking oil and heat. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu (but not the excess soy sauce) and stand back a bit. If you have the heat high at this point, turn it down to medium.

Let the tofu brown, and turn it with a wooden spoon as it browns.

Once the tofu is nice and brown, throw in the leeks, and mix the leeks in well with the tofu. The leeks will flavor the oil and therefore everything else.

Finally, throw in the mushrooms, and keep turning the mixture, bringing the tofu to the top. Once the mushrooms begin to release their juice, add the excess soy sauce that the tofu was soaking in. Never directly pour the liquid into hot oil, though! (Fire, anyone?)

As you cook the mixture, try a mushroom. If the mushroom is fully cooked, the mixture is ready.

Additional comments:

This dish usually turns out to be pretty salty. This could be served alongside quinoa and steamed greens, or even with mashed taters and green beans. Enjoy!

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

MMMMmmmmm... this sounds so good...I have all the ingredients in my fridge... I might have to try it tonight for supper...
#3 Old 10-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you could serve this over rice? Can you use shallots or onions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I am partial to leeks, but shallots would be good. Onions might be a bit intense. The leeks are nice because they are flavorful, but not intense. This recipe has a flavor similar to a good mushroom gravy and would be perfect for rice.
#5 Old 11-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

This recipe has a flavor similar to a good mushroom gravy ....

Hey! I happen to know you also do a really yummy gravy... Is it similar? can you post that recipe too?

<<<-- In the mood for gravy...
#6 Old 11-04-2005, 07:01 AM
jj1
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

"Hey Look! Omni Likes It!" Tofu

Love this title!

Can't wait to use it next time this happens.
#7 Old 11-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Hey! I happen to know you also do a really yummy gravy... Is it similar? can you post that recipe too?

<<<-- In the mood for gravy...

Thanks for mentioning this... The recipe is still in its "figure out what the real measurements are" phase. I usually eye my ingredients -- then when I have to figure out the measurements, my recipe will come out all wrong until I get the measurements correct. The eyes not know how to quantify. Once I figure that out, we'll have a yummy mushroom gravy post, along with seasoning suggestions. And oh what the heck... a mashed taters recipe to go with it.
#8 Old 11-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'll make a single serving of this for lunch tomorrow. We've got some mushrooms waiting to grow fur, and all my other tofu recipes require a 30-minute marinade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page