Ethiopian Split Peas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Ethiopian Split Peas

By: Old traditional recipe

Category: Main Dishes - Other

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

Originally this dish was Kik Alicha or Yellow Split Pea Stew. I have modeled this dish after an Ethiopian lentil dish I enjoy to make it more solid.

1lb yellow split peas

3-1/2C water, reserve 1/2 cup for later

1lrg onion, diced

3T tomato paste

1-2 cloves garlic, pressed

1/2 tsp. ground ginger OR 1 1 inch-long piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped

1/2tsp ground tumeric *may omit

1/2tsp ground black pepper

salt to taste

Instructions:

Soak split peas for 30mins-1hr. Drain, sort, rinse.

Sautee onion and garlic in enough water so they don't stick Add tomato paste. Add 3C water, split peas and remaining spices. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 35mins. Check periodically and give it a stir. The water should evaporate, but if the peas start to stick, add more water and simmer again. You want the peas to be slightly chunky, slightly creamy :-)

Enjoy!

Additional comments:

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2006, 07:10 PM

Dehna Hunu! I thought I might add another version of your recipe as I felt that leaving out the fenugreek, nigella and cardamom may make a critical difference. Especially as these are three of my own and many ethiopians favourite spices. But they also have tremendous health benefits as well. prophet Muhammad once elaborated that the black nigella seed can heal every disease except death. I tend to take pride in my love of spices. They may be obscure but once you find them you will love them forever! I hope. You can also easily grow them in pots to propagate a new supply to maintain optimum freshness, health and convenience.

Kik Alicha (Yellow Split Pea Sauce)

1 lb. yellow split peas

6 c. water

2 c. onions, minced

3 T. oil

1 T. ginger, minced

2 T. garlic, minced

¼ c. white wine

2 Anaheim chilies, sliced in half

½ tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

¼ tsp. fenugreek

¼ tsp. turmeric

¼ tsp. black cumin (nigella sativa seeds, also called kalonji or حبه البركه)

½ tsp. cardamom

Wash split peas and boil until soft. Drain. Cook onions, garlic, and ginger in oil until soft. Add peas; stir. Add spices and a little water; simmer 30 minutes. Slice green peppers and add to sauce. Serve hot with injera.

(this came from an article which you can find online by searching for the name "A Taste of Ethiopia" in Northwest Family Magazine)
#3 Old 02-21-2008, 08:06 AM

We found the cardamom a bit overpowering. Perhaps a little more fenugreek, ginger, etc next time. Finding these ingredients was a fun challenge in Burlington, VT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page