3Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Alakey

#1 Old 11-02-2017, 06:35 AM
Pepperoni

Send a message via Skype™ to Alakey
Hello, need a veg advice for dinner)

Hello everyone, my name is Alex and I'm not vegan. But, my girlfriend is vegan. I met her only half a month ago, this weekend she will be at my house and I want to cook her a wonderful dinner. I cook well, and I could look at the Vegetarian recipes on the Internet, but that's not the best way, in mine opinion.

I ask advice from you, people who themselves are eating this way. I ask to share interesting, and most importantly delicious recipes that I could surprise her. I will try to find all the necessary products and ingredients, I really hope for your support and understanding. I really appreciate Julia and I do not want that the difference in nutrition in our relationship became a problem (and I saw how this happened with some my friends).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2017, 09:49 AM

What does she like? Is she an adventurous eater? Does she prefer "plainer" food? Has she travelled extensively?

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#3 Old 11-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakey View Post
Hello everyone, my name is Alex and I'm not vegan. But, my girlfriend is vegan. I met her only half a month ago, this weekend she will be at my house and I want to cook her a wonderful dinner. I cook well, and I could look at the Vegetarian recipes on the Internet, but that's not the best way, in mine opinion.

I ask advice from you, people who themselves are eating this way. I ask to share interesting, and most importantly delicious recipes that I could surprise her. I will try to find all the necessary products and ingredients, I really hope for your support and understanding. I really appreciate Julia and I do not want that the difference in nutrition in our relationship became a problem (and I saw how this happened with some my friends).
I'd go with something that's automatically vegan because why not, and you won't be faffing with the fakey stuff. How about a nice hearty vegetable ragu (aubergine, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes) served with a chunky pasta like papardelle. Or similarly, a pot of ratatouille served with crusty bread, marinated olives, and a hearty side salad. Simple, seasonal, big flavours, heartwarming. If you go with pasta, don't get fresh stuff (has eggs in), get dried (and do check labels) Or if you're out to impress, why not make it yourself..

Instead of topping with parmesan, make some poor man's parmesan (you can do this ahead and store in an airtight jar). And get a posh bottle of olive oil to drizzle over it all.

https://www.otagofarmersmarket.org.n...man-s-parmesan
http://www.italianfoodforever.com/20...pasta-dough-2/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Pepperoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I'd go with something that's automatically vegan because why not, and you won't be faffing with the fakey stuff. How about a nice hearty vegetable ragu (aubergine, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes) served with a chunky pasta like papardelle. Or similarly, a pot of ratatouille served with crusty bread, marinated olives, and a hearty side salad. Simple, seasonal, big flavours, heartwarming. If you go with pasta, don't get fresh stuff (has eggs in), get dried (and do check labels) Or if you're out to impress, why not make it yourself..
Souds good, do you have the recipe?
#5 Old 11-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Pepperoni

The only problem - I don`t know if she eats cheese. I would ask.
#6 Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Souds good, do you have the recipe?
A recipe for ratatouille, no I'm afraid that's not the kind of thing I usually strictly follow a recipe for.

If your girlfriend is vegan, she doesn't eat cheese, milk, eggs, meat, fish. Any animal based products.
#7 Old 11-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

Do you know what kind of food she normally eats? Is she more health-oriented, or does she also appreciate richer, less healthy dishes?

If she is more health-oriented, you could try a hearty dish that is simple (whole-wheat pasta with marinara sauce), but include an elaborate salad with mixed greens, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, jicama, corn, black beans, avocado, and some chopped walnuts or sunflower seeds. A healthy dressing choice might be balsamic vinegar, or red wine vinegar (with little or no oil added), plus oregano. Lots of recipes on the internet for this: http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/jicama-spinach-salad/

If she appreciates the richer, less healthy dishes, then she might enjoy something with plenty of added oil. Maybe fluffy polenta with olive oil and garlic, with a big Portobello mushroom (marinated). Here is a recipe - just substitute vegetable broth and margarine: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...recipe-1915949

I noticed the title "pepperoni" under your name. I think I get this kind of humor, but it's possible that this lady might not. Many (I would say most) vegans have accompanying beliefs regarding animals, meat, and violence. Just a heads-up! I hope the date goes well.
silva likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 11-02-2017 at 12:18 PM.
#8 Old 11-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

I do suggest you find out what she likes! Vegans have as wide a palate as any omnivore, so you need to know if she's into all whole health foods, raw, or more of a foodie.
I wouldn't surprise her toooo much! Ask her with interest about veganism and what foods she likes
Spudulika likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#9 Old 11-03-2017, 05:29 AM
Pepperoni

I unobtrusively talked about her preferences. So she prefers healthier food, less oil. She loves olive. very fond of Greek salad (without cheese). Do not eat cheese, eggs milk. She loves pasta.
Spudulika likes this.
#10 Old 11-03-2017, 12:17 PM

Her likes made me think of puttanesca, which I love and it sounds like she may too.

What about this?

https://cookieandkate.com/2016/vegan...la-puttanesca/

I haven't tried that specific recipe, but it looks a lot like mine.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#11 Old 02-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Pasta are the best when its dinner it is lighter and easy to digest u can use fresh tomatoes and mushrooms Arbuguine too it will make a hot warming dish for a cold weather to making soup as well u can use those ingredients too making salad as a snack and even breakfast in the morning adding avocados and some cheese on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page