• 1 Post By Tomata
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Tomata
  • 1 Post By Tom
  • 1 Post By VeggieTalk
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan

#1 Old 02-08-2015, 12:48 PM

Making corn tortillas from scratch -- taco ideas?

Tacos with refried black beans, rice, veggies, cheddar and salsa served on freshly steamed soft corn tortillas are pretty much all I need to be happy lately. So, naturally I wanted to figure out how to make fresh corn tortillas at home. Much easier said than done. After a half dozen attempts and a whole lot of googling, I found a couple of excellent tutorial-style blog posts. I wanted to share those here in case others are having the same craving:

http://fourchordkitchen.com/recipes/...orn-tortillas/

http://www.friedalovesbread.com/2010...illas-101.html

Also, I described my tortilla experiences on my own blog:

http://www.saturdaycooking.com/corntortillas/

If anybody has any other tortilla ideas or favourite vegetarian taco recipes, I'd love to hear about them!
VeggieTalk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Vegan as f**k

Thanks for sharing
#3 Old 02-08-2015, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I just bought a tortilla press recently and make my own cornflour tortillas on occasion too! They are so much tastier than store bought! I like to add fat free refried pinto beans to them with lettuce, tomato, and taco seasonings. Sometimes it's bulgur/red lentil "ground beef" with chopped onion and taco seasonings and salsa and fresh crisp lettuce all piled on top. Or kidney beans and tomato paste. Sometimes they are fun to eat as is with just a little maple syrup on them. They are so much easier for me to make with the tortilla press, and certainly using hot water makes them far more pliable and workable!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-09-2015, 05:09 AM

Interesting -- I see quite a few Turkish fake meatball recipes with bulgur and red lentils. Do you make something like that and fry it up as a taco filling? I'm really interested in new ideas for things to put in the tortilla. P.S. I warmed a few tortillas up today and they respond well to being soaked on both sides in a plate of water then reheated on a medium-heat non-stick frying pan until the bubbling stops. Really nice texture with no hint of rubber.
#5 Old 02-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomata View Post
Interesting -- I see quite a few Turkish fake meatball recipes with bulgur and red lentils. Do you make something like that and fry it up as a taco filling? I'm really interested in new ideas for things to put in the tortilla. P.S. I warmed a few tortillas up today and they respond well to being soaked on both sides in a plate of water then reheated on a medium-heat non-stick frying pan until the bubbling stops. Really nice texture with no hint of rubber.
I just cook the bulgur wheat in a pot. I cook the red lentils in a separate pot, then add them to the bulgur wheat. Then I add the chopped onions, some tomato paste (small can), and taco seasonings. You can usually find taco seasonings in the bulk section of groceries and it's usually just a mixture of cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika and so on. The end result is a mixture that looks and has the texture of ground beef but is obviously so much healthier and tastes better. My omnivore husband even likes it better because he says it is not greasy and doesn't leave an aftertaste. We spoon this mixture into hard shell tacos or into the soft cornflour tacos I make. I have not heard of the Turkish fake meatballs but it sounds interesting! I'll bet I could make meatballs out of my bulgur/tomato paste/lentil mix. I use almost the same mixture to make "sloppy Joe" sandwiches but add organic catsup (or make my own) and no taco seasonings. And I use the mixture for spaghetti "meat" sauce but add spices like oregano and basil and add vegetables like zucchini, mushroom, green bell peppers etc. And I might add tomato sauce to the mixture. Bulgur wheat is extremely versatile. I love the texture of it and how quickly it cooks. I have used it as a hot cereal with blueberries and walnuts also.

I posted a sweet potato tropical ball recipe in the dessert section that I created using cornflour as well. I just discovered cornflour (masa) when I found it at the dollar store about three months ago (the same brand as in one of your links), and I am fascinated with the texture of it and how differently it acts than other flours. The tortillas are definitely an art and sometimes I have more success with them than others.
leedsveg and Tomata like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 02-10-2015, 12:52 AM

I'm going to give that taco filling a try -- thanks! I remember seeing bulgur and lentils as the base for a mushroom/miso veggie burger a few years ago. I made it a few times and you're absolutely right, the bulgur has some magical properties and combines very nicely with the lentils. I had never thought of using masa for anything but tortillas -- very interesting that you're experimenting with using it in other ways. Going to have to think more about doing that.
Naturebound likes this.
#7 Old 02-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I have no personal experience making tortillas, but Anna Thomas described the process in one of her two "Vegetarian Epicure" books. She mentions that it can take a bit of practice to master it, and that a tortilla press usually makes things much easier and faster.
Tomata likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#8 Old 02-14-2015, 11:01 AM

I've been craving tortillas for about a month now! Thanks! I tried making them myself two weeks ago, but my attempt was... Ok.

Here we go again!
Tomata likes this.
#9 Old 02-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

http://americanvegan.org/AV1403.pdf

I'm not sure if you guys can see the above link but it is from the American Vegan Society Magazine online and on page 30 of the link there is a huge section on taco filling recipes. There is a tempeh and walnut soft taco filling (using corn shell tacos), a black bean filiing, and some others. I think the general public can see this but I am not sure as I have a membership. I was just flipping through the paper copy I have of this magazine and came across those recipes. How timely huh? They all look wonderful. Just thought I would pass this along. Let me know if you can't view that link or find the recipes.
Tomata likes this.

#10 Old 02-15-2015, 07:42 AM

Thanks very much for this -- I can see the pdf and the recipes look delicious. I was planning on making some refried black beans today as a matter of fact. I'm sure I'm going to be trying the tempeh/walnut filling before long as well.

Here's another interesting idea I found -- blackened tofu tacos with avocado sauce and coleslaw:

http://www.makingthymeforhealth.com/...do-lime-crema/
#11 Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomata View Post
Thanks very much for this -- I can see the pdf and the recipes look delicious. I was planning on making some refried black beans today as a matter of fact. I'm sure I'm going to be trying the tempeh/walnut filling before long as well.

Here's another interesting idea I found -- blackened tofu tacos with avocado sauce and coleslaw:

http://www.makingthymeforhealth.com/...do-lime-crema/
Wow, that tofu taco idea sounds delicious! I love Wildwood sprouted tofu! Though I can't picture coleslaw/tofu with cornflour style tacos, maybe if the cabbage were soft enough it might work?

#12 Old 02-16-2015, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Wow, that tofu taco idea sounds delicious! I love Wildwood sprouted tofu! Though I can't picture coleslaw/tofu with cornflour style tacos, maybe if the cabbage were soft enough it might work?
I'm curious about that too. I made the blackened tofu last night, and I'm going to try the coleslaw today. I'm going to slice the cabbage thinner than in the pictures and let it mellow with the vinegar for a while before I try to use it.
#13 Old 02-18-2015, 05:10 AM
Vegan as f**k

So far I have never had a taco...

Tomata likes this.

Tags
mexican , tacos , tortillas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page