Nutty, cheesy meatless balls - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Suitable for: a vegetarian diet

I know things with eggs and dairy is a relatively small category around here, but if you can - make these. They are incredible. Perhaps it would be possible to make them with soy cheese and egg replacer though I haven't tried it.

Serves: 4 (tripled a recipe that was too much for one but not enough for two)

90 g (about 1½ dl or 0.63 cup) hazelnuts, ground or finely chopped

75 g (about 1½ dl or 0.63 cup) cheddar cheese, finely grated

1½ dry breadcrumbs

3 eggs

1 onion, finely chopped

1.5 tbsp tomato puree

1 tsp mustard

2 tsp nutmeg

tiny bit or cloves

lots of thyme

white pepper

½ l (2.1 cup) vegetable stock

olive oil

Stir together the nuts, onion, cheese, breadcrumbs and spices to taste. Add in the eggs. Use your hands to form little balls (aprox. 3 cm dia). Heat a little oil in a nonstick pan. Fry the balls on medium heat until all sides are nicely browned. Then, add the stock and let simmer with a lid for 10 minutes. Bring the heat up a little. After ten minutes, remove the lid and continue to bubble until all the liquid has evaporated. 

I've had these with pasta and tomato sauce, and on sandwiches with onion and lettuce but I could imagine them with rice, quinoa, potatoes or a salad would be good too.

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hazlenuts! I love those, but never buy them.

I have made something similiar using ground walnuts, and bulgar wheat for some texture.

You can easily subsitute the egg part by combining 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water and let set till thick. That replaces one egg.

When you say cloves do you mean cloves- or like garlic clove? I'm not used to using cloves in foods like this. I do like cloves though. 

That recipe does sound delicious!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 12-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I mean cloves, the same stuff you would put in pastries. Only a tiny pinch though... 

Bulgar wheat sounds nice! Do you use it in place of the breadcrumbs..? Or just add it? I will try using flax the next time I make these - it will be a nice way to get more omega3 and of course to make them vegan. Thanks for the idea!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-15-2013, 05:25 PM

Mmm, sounds delicious!! I think I will try making a vegan version - I have a shop bought egg replacement which works in most meals. I'll just leave the cloves out - I hate them and they make me gag. But that's just me, I have texture/taste issues with some foods. :P Thanks for sharing!

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#5 Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 AM

Sounds delish, I love hazelnuts! Nutmeg and mustard are two of my favorite things so will definitely try these. Thanks for sharing :)

#6 Old 02-06-2014, 12:40 PM

Hello Elsie 182,

Your recipe for veggy meat balls look's yummy.I'll try it out tomorrow without egg, with a korma sauce and brown rice. You are a Rainbow and a very wise young lady. Keep-up the good vegetarian life.

STAY HAPPY

#7 Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page