Vegan Shepard's Pie- very close to the real thing - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

GROUND "BEEF" (Vegan)

13+-+2
I substitute this for ground beef in any recipe except for hamburgers (it doesn't stick together enough). I got this recipe from Kristi at http://veggieconverter.com/2011/01/whole-food-vegetarian-ground-beef-substitute-recipe.html

Ingredients

2 cups Brown rice
2 cups Green lentils
2 tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup rolled oats
Directions:
Boil rice, lentils and steak seasoning until slightly soft (I put them in my rice cooker on brown rice setting). Drain any excess water, if necessary. Combine with remaining ingredients. Spread into a large pan (13 x 9) and bake at 300F for 1 hour, stirring occasionally to evenly dehydrate mixture. Store in portion-sized freezer bags. It will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week or freezer until used.
UPDATE 2: NUTRITION FACTS (10 servings per batch)–Serving Size 99 g, Calories 380, Calories from Fat 66, Total Fat 7.4g, Sodium 452 mg, Total Carbohydrates 59.4g, Dietary Fiber 14.4g, Protein 18.6g
I advise using more steak sauce than the recipe says and spreading it out into as large a pan as is possible so that it all cooks well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shepard's Pie (Vegan) 
Ingredients:

• vegan ground beef (see recipe above)
  • red potatoes (about 6 potatoes) or sweet potatoes (about 4 or 5 potatoes)
  • raw carrots
  • about 1/5 cup almond or soy milk
  • frozen or fresh peas and corn
  • canned green beans
  • raw sweet onion
  • mushrooms (optional)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • ketchup
  • Worcestershire sauce (as desired. I use about 2-4 tablespoons)
  • 8 tablespoons butter substitute (butter is not a must but makes red potatoes better)
  • salt (optional)
Directions: Set oven to 400 degrees.  Quarter potatoes and boil until they break apart easily with a fork. Drain the potatoes and add butter and milk. Mash until all chunks are gone and the potatoes are smooth and even. Chop carrots and boil until soft. Once the carrots are soft, turn off the water, add the peas and corn, and set aside. Saute onion and mushrooms until caramelized. Spread "beef" over the bottom of a clear casserole dish and mix with ketchup and Worcestershire sauce to taste. I would say use about 2 tablespoons of ketchup if you aren't sure. Drain the carrots, peas, corn, and canned green beans. The frozen veggies should be thawed by now. Mix all of the vegetables, including the onions, and the mushrooms in with the "beef" and mix in salt, if desired. Now spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the mixture. Ruff up the potatoes with a fork so that peaks form which will brown nicely. Cook about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are browned at their peaks. You may want to broil it for a few minutes at the end to achieve the browning. I suggest eating the pie with generous amounts of ketchup on top.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

That veggie ground beef recipe is genius! It looks really healthy and tasty. I often get Yves ground round but it would be awesome to have something homemade and less processed instead. I'd love to try the Shepard's pie recipe too!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes it is great. You should really try it! The only downside is that it does not stick together like the real deal so it is no good for meatball or burger substitute. I don't like to buy the packaged meat substitutes because they are expensive and have a lot of extra ingredients that look intimidating. This is an inexpensive recipe and all the ingredients are pretty straightforward.
Werewolf Girl likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page