Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Jennifer C
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By healthylicious

#1 Old 09-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Zelda Freak

Recipe: Black Bean Chilaquile

Suitable for: Vegetarian, vegan + those meat eaters who say they won't like vegetarian food.

Black Bean Chilaquile is hands down one of my FAVORITE veg recipes ever. I've been making it for over 12 years and every single person who eats it (meat eaters and vegetarians) loves it. I originally got this recipe from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals, but it doesn't taste low-fat at all. 

PS I make this all organic - but that's up to you. 

You'll need:

• 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon organic olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped tomato - DO NOT use canned. Fresh is the only way to go
  • 1 and 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels - or use frozen, but it's better with fresh
  • 1 and 1/2 cups prepared (cooked) black beans (15 ounce can, drained, or make yourself with dry beans for less sodium)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cups rinsed stemmed and chopped FRESH not frozen swiss chard or spinach (I always use spinach)
  • 2 cups crushed baked corn tortilla chips - look for organic baked chips in the natural section of your grocery store) *8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese OR vegan cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups prepared mexican-style salsa - sometimes I make homemade, other times I use organic jarred.

*I used to make this with real cheese and it was great. Now, being vegan and hating vegan cheese in large amounts, I tried making this by adding a bit more salsa and just a little sprinkling of vegan cheese and it worked great. If you like vegan cheese feel free to use more, but get the "sharpest" cheddar you can. 

To make the filling:

• Sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent.

• Stir in the tomatoes, corn, black beans, lime juice, salt and pepper into the onions and continue to sauté for another 5 to 10 minutes, until everything is cooked through and nice and soft.

• Once your sauté is ready set it aside and grab a saucepan for your greens. 

• Use the saucepan to blanch your greens. This means, place your greens in boiling water for 1 to 3 minutes until they're just barely wilted but still a very bright green. Once blanched, drain right away.

Prepare your chilaquile....

• Grab an 8x8-inch baking pan and coat it with a super light layer of olive oil.
  • Spread half of the crushed chips on the bottom of the pan.
  • Spoon all of the sautéed veggies over the chips
  • Sprinkle on about two-thirds of the grated cheddar or a lighter layer if you like.
  • Layer the greens evenly over the cheese.
  • Spoon on about half of the salsa.
  • Top it off with the rest of the tortilla chips, plus the remaining salsa then the remaining cheddar.
  • Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes in a 350 oven

*Note, when I made this with vegan cheese it baked faster, because the cheese doesn't really melt so much.

I almost always make a double batch of this because it's even better as leftovers. I've taken it to potlucks, holiday meals and meat eaters in my family gobble it up. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

This sounds really good!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 01-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Oh my, I'm glad you bumped this :lick: !

Soul to Food posted an enchilada recipe that calls for a chili sauce without tomato, which I prefer. 

I'm think these two recipes could make a beautiful child!

Jennifer C likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM

It made a lot more than I thought it would!! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Will make this again!

Jennifer C likes this.
#5 Old 03-10-2014, 11:28 AM

I've slowly been gathering new recipes to make. This seems like it wouldn't take that long to actually make it and it would be something I could serve at a party to friends who eat meat. They probably wouldn't notice it was missing.

#6 Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNesbit View Post

I've slowly been gathering new recipes to make. This seems like it wouldn't take that long to actually make it and it would be something I could serve at a party to friends who eat meat. They probably wouldn't notice it was missing.

No, no one will miss the meat. I've NEVER, in some 13-14 years of making this, met someone who doesn't like this dish. It's packed with healthy stuff, but the chips add this sort of unhealthy-fun aspect I think. 

It's my go to potluck/slash party dish. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#7 Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthylicious View Post

It made a lot more than I thought it would!! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Will make this again!

Yeah it makes a lot, but IMO, this is one dish that tastes even better as leftovers, so that's a good thing!

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#8 Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 AM

Oh my that sounds sooo delicious. I can taste it already. I love all those ingredients and I'm sure this recipe will be a hit in my house.

I haven't had chilaquiles in years, but I'm really excited now.
#9 Old 05-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Yummy this is perfect for summer parties !

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page